Health - Safety and ignition Keys

jayeastanglia:
I sometimes get asked to put hard hat and high viz while on a few sites when doing tyres which is fair enough when there is cranes up high.But have been asked to put gloves/glasses/boots/high viz on while at a warehouse doing a forklift in the middle of the yard while it was closed!!!

A giant reptile of the Jurassic period may awaken from it’s sleep fly overhead and drop a giant egg on your head or half a ton of crap!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Everyone else zbs on us, - that’s what the helmets for. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

I seen a guy pull off a bay at Tescos , Didcot with a guy on an electric pallet truck in the back of his trailer !! Luckily he was up near the bulkhead under a pallet stack . There is a very easy way to avoid any misunderstandings on bays and it doesn’t require red or green lights or handing keys in or checking anything. All it requires is for the loader (unloader) to actually see and speak to the driver before the operation, maybe thats to simple and not hi tech enough for todays modern operations !!

Night Owl:
I went to Toyata RDC at lutterworth last year ,as you back onto the bay (the type with the big yellow bars on the floor) a wheel lock bar is pushed up off you rear trailer wheel and locks infront of your front trailer wheel .
when the RDC roller door is shut the can then press a release button to let you off.
works a treat and so simple

:wink: Big Tip with wheel locks I was given a while back after a little accident :- jack up your trailer air to max, then reverse into about a foot from the dock, then reset air/trailer level with the dock.
The locking bars have a tendency to force the trailer down slightly when you ride over them, that in turn can mean your rear mudflap gets trapped under your rear wheel
and hey presto - no more mudguard :blush:

Cost me 5 hours waiting for a git with a Drug and Alcohol testing kit to clear me post accident and then next day an interview/Driving Assesment back at base…lesson learned :exclamation: :unamused:

From a link further up:-

A 15-year-old trainee was killed when the forklift he was operating suddenly went into reverse, ran through the loading-dock gates, flipped over and plunged four feet onto a concrete floor.

I’ll just repeat what I said about forklifts and them handing keys in too.

Darby Flyer:
From a link further up:-

A 15-year-old trainee was killed when the forklift he was operating suddenly went into reverse, ran through the loading-dock gates, flipped over and plunged four feet onto a concrete floor.

I’ll just repeat what I said about forklifts and them handing keys in too.

Ffffffff Fifteen.

Fork trucks dont suddenly go into reverse.

If you were doing ADR work it would be illegal to remove the keys from the driver as most refineries and chemical plants rules state that keys must be left in the ignition.