Have you pulled one - was it good?

limeyphil:
ok, so i was 4" out. not a bad guess. :smiley:

bit more though when you allow for the six foot of steel overhanging the rear of the longer trailer :smiley:

is this trial for the uk only? or can they take them abroad?

limeyphil:
is this trial for the uk only? or can they take them abroad?

UK only - they’re running on Department of Transport Special Orders. It is up to the Northern Ireland government whether they are allowed to run in NI.

Operators have to sign an undertaking to present the trailers to VOSA for annual tests in the same way as normal trailers.

That is an Elddis vehicle. Saw it close up at the Multimodal show at the NEC the other week and it is insane! I think it is maximum height. It was parked next to a couple of double deckers which looked liked urban trailers compared to this. The man from Elddis said it can carry 90 pallets of toliet roll per load and will be triple shifted 7 days a week. Personally i wouldn’t like to drive it and pulling those curtains back in even a slight breeze would be difficult but they think it must be a good investement.

Drove it last night , had to do a stint & get me bit paper sighned Dont know whether that was a Elddis thing or Goverment no time for questions was wanting to get on with me own job.Its doing its 1st trip this morning (Thurs) Prudhoe (Northumberland) to Skemersdale 2 shifts a day 7 days a week. Didnt seem too bad rear steer so followed ok steer locks up past 35mph & in reverse, thought there might have been a bit more scrub when backing up but ok might be something to do with the way axles are set up. Will find out more when I have to fill in for hols etc. Could be bit of a pain pulling them curtains in the wind at Skem but load inside at Prudhoe.Somebody mentioned height it is 4.935mtr about 16ft in old money I think. Is anybody else running them yet I haven`t seen any.

Looks fun but people will look at them and plan them how they do with maps/atlas’s. Destination a to b isn’t that far away as it all fits onto 1 page in the atlas just like that wagon fits into 1 picture it ain’t that big so u should be fine gettin to farmer Giles on the single track country lanes! :laughing:

greek:
Drove it last night , had to do a stint & get me bit paper sighned Dont know whether that was a Elddis thing or Goverment no time for questions was wanting to get on with me own job.Its doing its 1st trip this morning (Thurs) Prudhoe (Northumberland) to Skemersdale 2 shifts a day 7 days a week. Didnt seem too bad rear steer so followed ok steer locks up past 35mph & in reverse, thought there might have been a bit more scrub when backing up but ok might be something to do with the way axles are set up. Will find out more when I have to fill in for hols etc. Could be bit of a pain pulling them curtains in the wind at Skem but load inside at Prudhoe.Somebody mentioned height it is 4.935mtr about 16ft in old money I think. Is anybody else running them yet I haven`t seen any.

That suprises me to be honest, I’d have thought it’d have been controlled rear steer like the tiny tesco trailers, but sounds more like a floating rear axle?

I recon it’d be a pain to reverse if it’s not a steering axle when going backwards.

Still too damned big for some of the places I go, the front and rear overhangs will simply prevent getting round some of the corners where I’m literally within inches as it is.

Be intresting to see what it looks like behide the curtains .

Got a pic of a triple sacker in my head :confused:

Hi, I work for Wincanton and we have a few of these trailers being built as I type,We have one in our yard in Trafford Park destined for deliveries next week,with the trailer being rear steer it follows the exact path that a normal trailer takes,however our has problems with the rear axle not locking in the straight ahead position for reversing,the front axle lifts slightly when turning(to avoid tyre scrubb),the only problem that I have encountered is that the trailer uses a lot of air when manoevring,its difficult to complete a reversing manoevre without draining your air,as ours is liveried up(larger trailer,more fill etc) it gets noticed a lot and other drivers are curious about it,hope this helps !!

dazzler01:
Hi, I work for Wincanton and we have a few of these trailers being built as I type,We have one in our yard in Trafford Park destined for deliveries next week,with the trailer being rear steer it follows the exact path that a normal trailer takes,however our has problems with the rear axle not locking in the straight ahead position for reversing,the front axle lifts slightly when turning(to avoid tyre scrubb),the only problem that I have encountered is that the trailer uses a lot of air when manoevring,its difficult to complete a reversing manoevre without draining your air,as ours is liveried up(larger trailer,more fill etc) it gets noticed a lot and other drivers are curious about it,hope this helps !!

If it’s anything like the old skelly’s I used to drive with a floating rear axle, they’ll only lock if they’re straight when you select reverse, try that.

We’ve got five in build just like the one in the OPs picture. Can’t say I’m too fussed but it would be nice to get some extra pennies to go with the metres.

Who asked about weigh bridges? Never driven a Wagon & Drag onto a ferry then?

W