Good or recomended agency list area by area

Driver Hire Oxford. 01865 798998. Ask for Tony or Tom. I went to them as a tipper driver who’d got the push, never done any other kind of lorry driving. Signed up on the Monday, in less than a month I’d done chilled multi drop (Fresh Direct, 12 plate motor on first night!), shop deliveries for Warburtons, refuse collection and flour deliveries. Don’t believe all the umbrella horror stories either.

Stay away from Q&S notts, they apparently have contracts with everyone and will swear they will find you work as newly qualified. Truth is you’ll be another driver on there books and not hear from them or as in my case a few years ago if they do send you out they won’t have told the employer you’ve no experience.

My advice will be to signed up with as many as possible, tell them you want work and don’t want to just be on the books let them know you’ll do 7.5t if you’ve got C or if you have C+E let them know you’ll do C. Might be rubbish multi drop with heavy handball to start but once you got your foot in the door things get better.

A lot of agencies wont chance an inexperienced driver on multi drop (Paterson Recruitment weren’t interested despite me having over 11 years on tippers). I was lucky as Fresh Direct have mates on night runs as they know the alarm codes at deliveries etc. Refuse collection firms on local council jobs would be a good place to start, nice and slow etc but be prepared to pick up bins.