Get a Trucker home, Paul Stephen Stanyard

18K in 3 days.

OVLOV JAY:
What a joke that email is. They don’t want Pauls name being remembered for the wrong reasons. What a joke, it’s their name that’ll be remembered :unamused:

Nothin like a bit of emotional blackmail while your raw and grieving. Pricks.

Does anyone know how you get a petition started so Matthews handling of this can be debated in parliament? With enough online sharing I’m sure we could get this issue debated. It could after all affect any of our families.

Radar19:
18K in 3 days.

I hope that gives some comfort to Paul’s family knowing that people do care.

Tris:
Does anyone know how you get a petition started so Matthews handling of this can be debated in parliament? With enough online sharing I’m sure we could get this issue debated. It could after all affect any of our families.

I don’t know if it would raise any eyebrows to be honest, but it does show the need for compulsory repatriation insurance for business travel. That might be worth a petition

Would a proposal to change the rules for international o licensing need a parliamentary debate or just proposing to the Dept Transport/TC’s?

I.e you HAVE to have comprehensive medical/death cover for drivers in order to gain a license.

Wonder what crap statements they, (Matthews) will come out with on Monday now*?

£15k+ of donations in 3 days is it now??

And as for that email extract? All they ‘talk’ about is the cost of having to do XYZ!

Beggars belief! :open_mouth: :imp:

*Surely someone there will see this thread running?

Matthews are well aware of the reaction.

They are deleting posts from their Facebook page at a rate of knots. Admittedly they are, shall we say, a little more “direct” in their opinions than here.

Wowsers, that letter from them! They really are rather stupid aren’t they!

Either they are genuinely heartless, mercenary ■■■■■■■■ or the only “good” way to view them is they have just completely panicked at a new situation. And kept panicking when a good manager should have steered the business through this.

I know some have said that their customers won’t be bothered. I disagree.

They have some massive, high profile customers with amongst the most sensitive cargo possible.

They won’t want to be seen anywhere near a firm that can’t control itself let alone their goods.

I’ve read the extracts from the email.

My understanding is that the company offered £5,000 “to avoid this.”

It’s been stated that “this” costs £15,000, so £15,000 (or a proper insurance policy) is the cost of avoiding “this.”

It doesn’t need a rocket scientist to be able to work it out.

Another unavoidable truth is that Paul was in Italy as part of doing his job, because his boss told him to.
IMHO, the boss should start acting like a boss, not just somebody who wears the badge and then hides behind small print that tries to avoid responsibility because Paul was ‘off duty.’ It happens that Paul died whilst acting quite correctly under his boss’ instructions, so how does it make any difference whether Paul was on duty or not?

Posters have noted the speed at which the vehicle was released and the fact that it has taken place in a different jurisdiction.

We might be getting ahead of ourselves here but… maybe that normally happens if the authorities accept that there are no suspicious circumstances?

I did Italy (amongst many other countries) as a driver for 10+ years, including just over 1 year during which I drove doing national and international transport for an Italian company. I can say that Italy has a system of due process and that I think IMHO it’s extremely likely that the Italian authorities treated Paul’s death and the circumstances surrounding it ‘by the book’ due to the fact that a foreign person was involved.

:bulb: Let’s keep our focus on the company and the insurer, because those are the organisations where any faults and responsibilities really lie.

I’d just like to express my great satisfaction that the appeal has raised sufficient funds to show certain people what the ‘right thing’ really is. The bonus is that it shows in a very dignified way that those same people are short-sighted and lacking in compassion.

They sub for us, I don’t think our lot would like to be seen with the likes of these.

Radar19:
They sub for us, I don’t think our lot would like to be seen with the likes of these.

I hope you remember to draw the story to your bosses attention ASAP
Likewise I hope people who know of Matthews clients draw it to their attention

seeing as how its such a big deal on here,then i wonder if its such a big deal to the masses of matthews driver currently employed all over europe and uk for them to stand together and stop work ,park u etc until 1… the dude is brought home,and 2… till they see an addition to their companys insurance covering them if they peg it abroad…one might think it would be somewhat more of their business than the masses posting elswehere? id be more interested in seeing if some form of cameradri with their own drivers would be forthcoming…somehow i wouldnt be holding my breath though time will tell.i dont think itl cost matthews 10p in lost revenue…obviously just another company where you are nothing more than a bum on a seat…theres plenty like them.

Goes to show what some Companies think of their Drivers
For any Driver on UK or Continental operations it should be LAW that the Company should be adequately insured to cover unforeseen eventualities such as this case.
SHAME ON MATTHEWS and AND OTHERS that hide behind Insurance small print.

Matthews is behaving in a most disgaceful way and fully deserves everything which is coming to them. There is one small thing which they could do at this late stage, even though it will do them little good, that is to reveal the name of which insurance company is the final underwriter of this policy, so that the public can be sure not to do any business with them ever again.

Moving forward one would hope that Monday morning will see transport managers throughout GB checking up on the details of their own company’s policies and reassuring their employees.

IIRC going back to the late 1960s it was revealed that in many instances back then, the driver was not covered at all under the conditions of many companies’ vehicle insurance policies.

As far as the insurance company goes regardless of the driver taking a legally required break/rest period or not he was still at work in his work place , i cannot see how the insurer can get out of this, it’s probably a case of them not wanting to claim on it

Why and who is charging 15k ? below is a price for repatriation from Italy (Rome) to Gloucester under 5k so sounds like someone is being ripped off

They’re taking the pictures off face ache now, deleting entire comment threads. What’s the betting the page will be shut down by 9am tomorrow :unamused:

OVLOV JAY:

Tris:

I don’t know if it would raise any eyebrows to be honest, but it does show the need for compulsory repatriation insurance for business travel. That might be worth a petition

or https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions

dieseldog999:
seeing as how its such a big deal on here,then i wonder if its such a big deal to the masses of matthews driver currently employed all over europe and uk for them to stand together and stop work ,park u etc until 1… the dude is brought home,and 2… till they see an addition to their companys insurance covering them if they peg it abroad…one might think it would be somewhat more of their business than the masses posting elswehere? id be more interested in seeing if some form of cameradri with their own drivers would be forthcoming…somehow i wouldnt be holding my breath though time will tell.i dont think itl cost matthews 10p in lost revenue…obviously just another company where you are nothing more than a bum on a seat…theres plenty like them.

A lot of Matthews drivers are foreign, don’t think they would do it.