First time with in cab cameras

Sploom:
In theory,yes.But if you are a diehard refuse to drive for companies with in cab cameras,then you are limiting your oppurtinities and ultimatly,that could mean earning less.As much as I dont like them,from talking to other drivers,most of them dont seem that bothered ,so it looks like were just going to have to learn to live with them

Don’t accept it mate. You carry three pieces of plastic in your wallet that make you eminently employable and contrary to many boss’s mantra drivers ARENT ten a penny, good drivers even less so.

In the words of The Manics “if you tolerate this your children will be next”.

Sploom:
talking to other drivers,most of them dont seem that bothered ,

And there lies the problem, brainwash, gullibility and apathy, the 3 things amongst many drivers that make for a lethal combination, that spoils the job for the rest of us.

Back at Brakes, the rigids used to have driver-facing cameras in them, that were monitored live, as loads of people got into trouble by the time they got back from a run, having nibbled a mars bar, taken a quick slurp out of a can of drink, but mostly for answering their phone/checking texts/making unauthorized stops whilst out on their rounds.

My job there was driving the artics, but they were hired cabs, so didn’t have cameras in them. If we wanted “Overtime” (before they stopped paying it) - a rigid rather than an extra artic run would likely be invoved, meaning you had to take the camera pointed at you, most of them working and all.

Drivers were disciplined for putting a marigold or condom over the bulbous lens…

But what if ALL drivers ended up doing just that?

Unless the Unions then reached a deal with management to “not vandalize our stuff please” - then in theory and practice - it would be totally unenforcable to discipline drivers for having a “non-working driver-facing camera” if you think about it…

Forget the stuff about “Make sure your camera is switched on to protect yourselves from hit and run/cash for crash incidents” - when we never had any such control over these cameras - did we■■?

“Lane Stray Warning” - switch it off, and a reminder alarm goes off every few seconds as well…

Then there’s the “autobrake collision detector” that’ll jam the anchors on as you round a corner that happens to have a car parked up on the pavement there…

How many of these devices still work, bearing in mind that caked grime on the sensor at the front of the cab unit - will render the thing pretty much useless unless you have to clean it off every start-of-shift like RM get you to do when I was last there…

My suggestion to one-and-all then - is “let the ■■■■ things fall into disrepair” where they then fall onto that part of the “defect” sheet that, alongside “radio broke” and “fluffy curtains/dice obscuring my view” - never gets anything done about at workshop when you put it in… Straight into the “archive” box, along with the now unchecked and remaining unrepaired driver-facing camera kit…

Hey Presto! - Problem solved!

^^^^ that’s somewhat akin to letting Big Bubba from H wing ■■■■@@@@ you until he loses interest and goes limp! I’ll pass thanks.

the maoster:
^^^^ that’s somewhat akin to letting Big Bubba from H wing ■■■■@@@@ you until he loses interest and goes limp! I’ll pass thanks.

You’ve got a lovely way with words mate, it’s a talent. :laughing:

robroy:

the maoster:

You’ve got a lovely way with words mate, it’s a talent. :laughing:

I can’t find the closed captions to work out WTF he’s on about. :neutral_face:

Winseer:
Back at Brakes, the rigids used to have driver-facing cameras in them, that were monitored live, as loads of people got into trouble by the time they got back from a run, having nibbled a mars bar, taken a quick slurp out of a can of drink, but mostly for answering their phone/checking texts/making unauthorized stops whilst out on their rounds.

And here lies the problem. In what other job would it be acceptable to stop people having a drink? People getting into trouble for using phones is one thing, but sipping from a can?
So Brakes don’t want people to drink whilst driving but also not taking unauthorised stops? So they don’t want you to drink whilst driving, but don’t want you to stop either? When are you supposed to drink then when you’re thirsty? I’d say in that case I’ll have to stop every time I want a drink of water and that could be as often as every few minutes.
In a that case every Brakes driver should stop and call the office every time they want a drink and get authority to stop for a water stop. See how long that would last.
We’re human beings. We need water to function.

RogerOut:
And here lies the problem. In what other job would it be acceptable to stop people having a drink? People getting into trouble for using phones is one thing, but sipping from a can?
So Brakes don’t want people to drink whilst driving but also not taking unauthorised stops? So they don’t want you to drink whilst driving, but don’t want you to stop either? When are you supposed to drink then when you’re thirsty? I’d say in that case I’ll have to stop every time I want a drink of water and that could be as often as every few minutes.
In a that case every Brakes driver should stop and call the office every time they want a drink and get authority to stop for a water stop. See how long that would last.
We’re human beings. We need water to function.

In Realworld wtf is wrong with taking a drink whilst driving anyway…as long as you ain’t slurping on a bottle of Jack Daniels or something?
Unless you are some inept buffoon you can still keep your eyes on the road,.and as for driving with one hand, I drive with one hand most of the time, but I suppose in H&S Fantasyworld…‘‘You ain’t in proper control of your vehicle’’ if you …shock horror … dare to take one hand off the wheel for a few seconds. :unamused:
What about tuning the radio, or scratching your arse, unless you do them both at the same time of course :smiley: , is that a no no as well?
A job ran and monitored by those who know ■■■■ all about it themselves, I’m pleased I don’t work for em anyway…maybe they wouldn’t have me. :laughing:

robroy:
In Realworld wtf is wrong with taking a drink whilst driving anyway…as long as you ain’t slurping on a bottle of Jack Daniels or something?

This, for example

youtu.be/tkHzp9xV6vQ

Driver (a very good and experienced Owner/Driver by all accounts) grabbed his frothy coffee from the cup holder, the lid came off in his hand and he dumped the steaming hot beverage in his crotch.

You can see the results for yourself.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

the maoster:

Terry T:
Wren kitchens are one of the worst. Phone calls when you’re driving along telling you what you just did wrong. [zb] off :open_mouth:

Love it :smiley: ^^^^^^ a company actually phoning a driver who they know to be currently driving in order to tell him/her that they are doing something dangerous. Irony at its best.

Yep. I’ve heard some pretty depressing stories from a driver I know who works there. I think someone mentioned on another thread about being rang up to tell the driver to keep 2 hands on the wheel. Well, how are they supposed to answer that call. The irony is astounding :open_mouth:

Conor:
You’re already monitored almost everywhere you go. The point of fighting against it ended many years ago. All you do nowadays is to make your life harder and make yourself poorer as pretty much all the best paying companies with the best working conditions are those which also have cameras fitted to their vehicles. And you still end up getting monitored with everything you do anyway.

The funniest thing about it all are those who complain about in cab cameras invading a privacy in the workplace that never existed in the first place but then post their entire lives on social media. Some of them even have dashcams in their own cars which really makes me laugh.

Conor you’re very outspoken on here. I have no problem with that at all and quite enjoy reading your posts.

However, if you were as outspoken in the work place as you are on here perhaps you wouldn’t have a camera pointing at your face all shift.

Roymondo:

robroy:

This, for example

youtu.be/tkHzp9xV6vQ

Driver (a very good and experienced Owner/Driver by all accounts) grabbed his frothy coffee from the cup holder, the lid came off in his hand and he dumped the steaming hot beverage in his crotch.

You can see the results for yourself.

I take your point mate,.and it’s a valid one, but how many million others did the same thing ie, drink a coffee with no dramas.
There is a potential ■■■■ up/accident aspect with every single thing you do in life, and if you spent time thinking about the potentials and the risks of single thing you did or were going to do, you would never leave the house, but sit under the stairs cupboard with a tin foil hat.
As I say, I take your point granted, but …Real world. :bulb:

Terry T:

Conor:
You’re already monitored almost everywhere you go. The point of fighting against it ended many years ago. All you do nowadays is to make your life harder and make yourself poorer as pretty much all the best paying companies with the best working conditions are those which also have cameras fitted to their vehicles. And you still end up getting monitored with everything you do anyway.

The funniest thing about it all are those who complain about in cab cameras invading a privacy in the workplace that never existed in the first place but then post their entire lives on social media. Some of them even have dashcams in their own cars which really makes me laugh.

Conor you’re very outspoken on here. I have no problem with that at all and quite enjoy reading your posts.

However, if you were as outspoken in the work place as you are on here perhaps you wouldn’t have a camera pointing at your face all shift.

Excellent point,.and well made. :laughing:

Terry T:

If he spoke to people in the workplace like he does on here it wouldn’t just be a camera in his face, it would likely be a fist as well. However like a classic cowardly bully we all know he wouldn’t have the balls or the bottle to be as aggressive and offensive in person for said reason above.

I mean on here alone as soon as someone challenges him back he will often vanish from that discussion.

SAINT-HYACINTHE, Que. — The Quebec Superior Court has officially sided with truck drivers in a five-year battle concerning driver-facing cameras.

On Sept. 11, Sysco Quebec was ordered by the court to remove driver-facing cameras in all of its trucks, claiming that the driver-facing Lytx DriveCams were not the only way Sysco could promote safety in its fleet, and there were other “less intrusive” methods to do so.

Sysco food distribution drivers in Canada fought against in-cab cameras and got them removed in 2017.

remy:
SAINT-HYACINTHE, Que. — The Quebec Superior Court has officially sided with truck drivers in a five-year battle concerning driver-facing cameras.

On Sept. 11, Sysco Quebec was ordered by the court to remove driver-facing cameras in all of its trucks, claiming that the driver-facing Lytx DriveCams were not the only way Sysco could promote safety in its fleet, and there were other “less intrusive” methods to do so.

Sysco food distribution drivers in Canada fought against in-cab cameras and got them removed in 2017.

Good on em.

Is it even legal to have a camera focusing on a driver constantly? What about human rights laws?

RogerOut:
Is it even legal to have a camera focusing on a driver constantly? What about human rights laws?

Human Rights legislation regarding right to privacy etc is pretty much entirely about Government/State activities and interactions, not employers (or anyone else for that matter).

RogerOut:

Thats covered under the impact assessment and consultations with staff about to be affected.

No IA or consultations you say? then they’re on sticky ground and leaving themselves wide open to constructive dismissal claims, its all there on the .gov website.
Or as said numerous times about this subject, be part of an active union and stop such things in their tracks.

For the benefit of anyone paying attention to the bod who thinks only the worse paying jobs don’t have driver facing cameras, he couldn’t be more mistaken about this if he tried.