First day driving tomorrow

NewLad:

irish lorries:

Frost89:
I have such better appreciation of hgv drivers now, this is difficult, multi drop for bookers today but this thing is so wide and long, nothing like I did my training in, am in a daf cf sleeper with a box and tail lift, for some reason it hasn’t got windows in the bunk so pulling out of awkward junctions is a ■■■■■. It’s been terrifying today but so much fun. Am working for pallet way for the rest of the week

Sounds like you did well don’t be scared of the size you will get use to it

Thats what I told my missus 6 years ago, she doesn’t even wince now :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

When you get the ‘awkward’ junctions, turn hard into them in the last few metres so you’re cab is (as near as you can get it) perpendicular to the main road and you can see both ways, even if you have to crane your head forward.

If that’s not possible, remember your blind spot mirror on your nearside is wide angle and you’ll at least know if something is near before pulling out :slight_smile:

Just take your time and remember that your always learning. The day you think you know it all is the day you will make a monumental ■■■■ up. Also most of the accidents happen in tight yards etc so as mentioned if your in any doubt get out and look.

Great advice on this thread for you and well done for breaking your hymen with your first proper day.
By now you will have realised that passing your LGV test was in reality just giving you a licence to learn…

We never stop learning and never let complacency creep in as thats the moment your most vunerable to a monumental balls up.

Keep double/triple checking everything, even now I still look under the trailer to check the legs are down and the suzies are out when pulling the pin and dropping a trailer, silly really but may just be my old age. I usually then have to walk back and get the reg plate that I forgot… :blush:

Make use of your breaks as well to plan ahead and keep a note of everything to get started with.

Tomorrows a new day but treat it like the first day and enjoy it, be safe and remember your the captain of your ship, the buck stops with you…

Buy a kitchen timer for about a tenner from hardware shops or truck stops to time the driving hours.