Felixstowe Container Dock help

Boxes are like Marmite, you either love it ,
or hate it, there is a lot of hanging around doing nothing.
The positive side, park where you want,no curtains to ■■■■■.
With some firms, no two days are the same from a farm one day to an industrial unit in the middle of nowhere.
Get tipped, park up, find a pub with a log fire, have a relaxing meal.

eddie snax:

weeto:
Our fitter says it’s fine to do it, and I have asked the question at the VOSA check point at Felixstowe and they arent bothered either, but your employer may not approve.
It also saves messing about when your dropping a loaded 20’ then picking up a 40’ and vice versa.

My employers go by the label on the side off the skelly.

it states that

position 1, loading and unloading 30’ & 20’ centre mounted boxes
position 2, 30’ box running position
position 3, 45’ box & centrally mounted 20’ box running position
position 4, 13.6m, 40’ or 2 x 20’ boxes running position
note: front twistlocks (yellow) are for use with 45’ box only, with locking pins in position no 3

And then there is the diagram underneath, on that basis whether that be a VOSA or company policy, the trailer manufacturer has designed the front (yellow) locks to be used by only the stated 45’ box :wink:

Note: that the label now says(this being a newish skelly)position 3, 45’ box & centrally mounted 20’ box running position, it used to read, position 3, 45’ box & centrally mounted laden 20’ box running position, I had several arguments over that when running an empty 20’ in the position4, with the fleet manager :wink:

Yeah i did say it could be against company policy, but legally you wouldn’t be breaking any laws doing it, well apart from running a loaded 20’ in the closed position.

weeto:

eddie snax:

weeto:
Our fitter says it’s fine to do it, and I have asked the question at the VOSA check point at Felixstowe and they arent bothered either, but your employer may not approve.
It also saves messing about when your dropping a loaded 20’ then picking up a 40’ and vice versa.

it states that

note: front twistlocks (yellow) are for use with 45’ box only, with locking pins in position no 3

And then there is the diagram underneath, on that basis whether that be a VOSA or company policy, the trailer manufacturer has designed the front (yellow) locks to be used by only the stated 45’ box :wink:

Note: that the label now says(this being a newish skelly)position 3, 45’ box & centrally mounted 20’ box running position, it used to read, position 3, 45’ box & centrally mounted laden 20’ box running position, I had several arguments over that when running an empty 20’ in the position4, with the fleet manager :wink:

Yeah i did say it could be against company policy, but legally you wouldn’t be breaking any laws doing it, well apart from running a loaded 20’ in the closed position.

You say that you are not breaking a law, but as the manufacturer states that the trailer is designed to be used or not used in a certain manner, then would that mean that you were operating outside the Construction and Use parameter off that particular vehicle. :question:

I’m not trying to be clever, or 2nd guess you, I will be happy to accept your reading off the situation, but I know what I’ve been told, at 2 separate firms, seems odd that they should have the same policy, and giving the same reasons as for the policy :wink:

kindle530:

eddie snax:
You changed jobs :question:

Yes mate! Drop it hide it lose it were doing my head in.
Working for an old school firm now mate.

Ah yes Desperately Hopelessly Lost, some off these Logistics firms are just a nightmare. :wink:

weeto:

eddie snax:

weeto:

it states that

It falls outside of construction and use and therefore is illegal iirc

weeto:
Do you not know that it is acceptable to have a 40’ box on the 45’ pins, or were you just winding him up to waste his time?

Its not acceptable at all, I don’t know what you have been told or how gullable you are but check with the manufacturers if you belive this.

Legalities aside by failing to load your trailer in line with the manufacturers specifications will cause a load of grief if the poop hits the fan, no insurance, wide open to blame its just silly.
Course weights may fall well within axle limits but in the end you are loading the trailer incorrectly outside its design parameters (insurance companies love this to happen).

One has to remember the manufacturers don’t just make this stuff up they design the pin holes around optimum load vs braking efficiency. Do it once do it right etc.

But if you think I’m wrong thats fine.

Dipper_Dave:

weeto:
Do you not know that it is acceptable to have a 40’ box on the 45’ pins, or were you just winding him up to waste his time?

Its not acceptable at all, I don’t know what you have been told or how gullable you are but check with the manufacturers if you belive this.

Legalities aside by failing to load your trailer in line with the manufacturers specifications will cause a load of grief if the poop hits the fan, no insurance, wide open to blame its just silly.
Course weights may fall well within axle limits but in the end you are loading the trailer incorrectly outside its design parameters (insurance companies love this to happen).

One has to remember the manufacturers don’t just make this stuff up they design the pin holes around optimum load vs braking efficiency. Do it once do it right etc.

But if you think I’m wrong thats fine.

Spacemonkeypg:

weeto:

eddie snax:

weeto:

it states that

It falls outside of construction and use and therefore is illegal iirc

Well I was starting to doubt Myself, but thanks lads for backing Me up, if we post something that is incorrect then another poster may read it and act accordingly. so I will find out the chapter and verse on this. :wink:

We have to be carefull of new drivers viewing this thread who may see weetos post and think the rest of us are ill informed when in actual fact whats cast in stone is whats written on the trailer. Yes we know an empty box could sit anywhere it fits but C & U regs and manufacturers design parameters are not just for the driver to obey they are there for insurance companies to check if ■■■■ go skyward.

No offence intended to weeto but bad advice is bad advice, in my opinion.

Trailers vary and its always worth familiarising yourself with a new trailer to cover ones arse which lets face it is whats this job is all about.

Also for the newvbies try not to travel round corners with a heavy 20’ in the shortened/unloading position, if you have too lift your midlift axle use the air dump button on the trailer (if fitted) and keep her moving.
Oh and also when shortening / stretching make sure air pressure is good to retract the pins once the pin release button has been pushed in.

Perhaps containers aren’t that easy after all…

Dipper_Dave:
We have to be carefull of new drivers viewing this thread who may see weetos post and think the rest of us are ill informed when in actual fact whats cast in stone is whats written on the trailer. Yes we know an empty box could sit anywhere it fits but C & U regs and manufacturers design parameters are not just for the driver to obey they are there for insurance companies to check if ■■■■ go skyward.

No offence intended to weeto but bad advice is bad advice, in my opinion.

Trailers vary and its always worth familiarising yourself with a new trailer to cover ones arse which lets face it is whats this job is all about.

Also for the newvbies try not to travel round corners with a heavy 20’ in the shortened/unloading position, if you have too lift your midlift axle use the air dump button on the trailer (if fitted) and keep her moving.
Oh and also when shortening / stretching make sure air pressure is good to retract the pins once the pin release button has been pushed in.

Perhaps containers aren’t that easy after all…

Good advice, especialy what you’ve said about them heavy 20’s, they don’t want to know about turning when shortened.

If you come across this, 20’ box loaded on an uncoupled shortened skelly, what sometimes happens is the landing legs lift off the ground, there is no way to get underneath as the rubbing plate is to high for the 5th wheel to meet the pin. Assuming that there is enough air in the trailer, go to the ride height adjuster(lift/lower) handle, pump the suspension up as far as it will go, then the trailer will come back down at the front, bit like a see saw :wink:

Will be doing mainly fridges out of Fxto and Harwich Mr Snax, will put a pic up of my steed soon ((white FH XL)

Like I said, I spoke to vosa about it, 40’ was sat on the 45’ pins, they said only time there would be a problem, is with axle weights only, nothing else, pretty sure if it was a legal problem and vosa being vosa, he would have done something about it there and then.

weeto:
Like I said, I spoke to vosa about it, 40’ was sat on the 45’ pins, they said only time there would be a problem, is with axle weights only, nothing else, pretty sure if it was a legal problem and vosa being vosa, he would have done something about it there and then.

I wouldn’t trust one of VOSA’s oppos as far as I could throw them, in essence he is probably correct regarding axle weights but heaven forbid if an accident occured and the investigation found the trailer was loaded incorrectly, VOSA would then be the ones checking with the manufacturers who would no doubt say that braking efficiency would have been better if the box was on the correct locks and the trailer pin was in the correct hole as designed…

Just my opinion.

Dipper_Dave:

weeto:

I wouldn’t trust one of VOSA’s oppos as far as I could throw them, in essence he is probably correct regarding axle weights but heaven forbid if an accident occured and the investigation found the trailer was loaded incorrectly, VOSA would then be the ones checking with the manufacturers who would no doubt say that braking efficiency would have been better if the box was on the correct locks and the trailer pin was in the correct hole as designed…

Just my opinion.

For your information, the 45’ pins are to do with overall vehicle length and turning circles rather than axle weights with and braking efficiency when carrying a 45’ box.