Encounters with foreign police, ministry men and customs

You used to be able to buy an ink pen that like a pencil allowed you to carefully erase and rewrite over without looking as if it had been changed. Many a Tankschein was enlarged by this method.

A Papermate Replay :sunglasses:

I’m guessing you had one then Mark.

By the way Mark were you going round Milwaukee last thursday afternoon?

Not me mate, I stay north of the border now.

We do a couple of jobs in the Milwaukee area, so our motors are always in the area.

chazzer:
I’m guessing you had one then Mark.

Possibly… .:laughing:

chazzer:
You used to be able to buy an ink pen that like a pencil allowed you to carefully erase and rewrite over without looking as if it had been changed. Many a Tankschein was enlarged by this method.

Yes I had one too!

When I was on for SI,I was about to ship out on one trip and just before I left,I was told that one of our drivers,Nick the Greek,was having some aggro at Kufstein,coming out of Austria into Germany on his way back from somewhere down the m/e.
The BAG had found a problem with his tractor which he was told was not possible to enter Germany pulling a trailer.
As I was going well down the m/e somewhere,I was asked to go via Kufstein to see what I could do for Nick.
I got down there in a couple of days,did all my paperwork and got through to the Austrian side.went down to the first available parking,dropped my trailer and went back.
Told the BAG that I had come out from the UK solo to collect my mate’s trailer,coupled up and pulled it into Germany as far as the first layby with Nick following me.
I dropped the trailer,Nick picked it up and headed for home.I went back through the border as a solo tractor,picked up my trailer and continued on my way.
RESULT!

Never got Caught, [Close Encounters] Once got Put on a Wanted list Belgium About 75/6, When I Lived Worked In Belga, Memories Memories Never been Back wont say Exactly Where It Was Lol"Cheers Chris.

Hey, what we have done in the good old days we should nowadays be jailed and treated as big criminals only to earn a bit money. Once in Groningen (a dangers place for drivers) I was stopped and as Always they didn’t believe me.I had to turn and drive to the police station,there arrived I was taken to a separate room they went through the cab and me.
Then they called my company and told them we have one off your drivers here and asked clarification. And the boss said you can hold the driver :laughing: and so they let me go.
A few weeks later at the same place i had to stop again. And pleased as i was because now it was one with a motorbike,but when he took off his helmet I saw that it was one off the two who had nearly arrested some weeks before. And I was fear of death. But unbelivable when he recognised me he put on again his helmet and drove off without coming to me. And I slunk of with one’s tial between one’s legs.

An other time I had good luck was near the scottish border around 1990. I was called in for a police check and all at once I saw that there was a truck inspection too. First the left side of the carpark for tacho control but as always everything OK by cheating and fiddling. You needed good charts because some off my colleagues had been locked for 36 hours.
But after the check I had to move to the other side of the park but between the carparks was the entrance and the officer who waved in and out saw me block a bit the incoming lorries I flashed directing A74 and he let me going first and I hurried the motorway up with holding my breath that didn’t a motorcycle officer came after to catch me.
Because I was driving an old 2800 with much over a million miles and never checked roll on-off ferry trailers.

cheers Eric,

On the way to unload in Manchester I was pulled into the D O T compound where the A556 joins with the M56, it didn’t start well with plod having to jump out of the way as I felt a couple of the brake adjusters go over cam, not sure whether he believed me when I said m foot slipped, after being directed over the weighbridge a young lady from the local weights and measures dept informed me that I was 2 ton overweight on 4 axles and I would have to take it off but as I was under 10% I wouldn’t be prosecuted, not surprising it was overweight as I had loaded potatoes with a load of plastic over the top from Southern Italy. Phoned the customer who said that his secretary’s father ran the snack bar in the layby and I could unload the excess and go back for them after unloading the plastic. Meanwhile I was keeping an eye on the ministry men who were crawling under other trucks to find things wrong, having sorted out the weight problem and escaped without being inspected by the wheeltappers and shunters club I delivered the plastic and returned to collect the excess potatoes after leaving a few for the snack bar owner. All in all what started off badly had a result in the end.

When i was doing a bit for r and j , i was pulling one of there trls and had filled up in rumo with cheap seev to get home, filled right up, so i get pulled on the check / german border , and put into
The inspection building and put over the pit, they asked dod i have anything to declare to which i replied no, then they took my passport off
Me and locked me in that little room while they inspected, anout 5 mins later i heard a very upset german shouting at me, he had drilled a hole in the belly tank to inspect it, over the pit, cost a couple of grand and a few days…

I may have posted this before, so apologies for the repetition, if so. I was cycle touring through France in the early 1980s, when I spotted a TIR plate lying under a hedge. As a lorry-mad teenager, this was a souvenir not to be left behind, so I attached it to the back of my panniers using a piece of string. It looked fabulous. Oddly enough, it attracted the attention of the locals on only two occasions: one was a taxi driver in Paris, who blasted the horn of his CX enthusiastically and gave me a round of applause. The other was a Gendarme, who pulled me over and asked me why it was there. “C’est un pare-choc,” I shot back, in my still-fresh schoolboy French. He made me turn it round, so the face of it was hidden. Needless to say, the next day it was in full view again. I probably have it still, amongst the other junk I have accumulated.

The Douane in Calais enquired how much diesel was I carrying in the belly tank on a trip to Greece via Italy, 200ltrs I replied, nearer 1500 of the finest uk ‘‘rouge’’ was the actuality so ‘‘une grande cafe’’ of 100 francs was the order of the day where upon the officer asked if I was travelling via St Omer, of course I said which other way was there. I promptly turned left at the Autoroute and cut across to Lille and down to Rheims, wonder how long his mates at the Peage kept a look out for a white Transcon and blue triaxle trailer with a big belly tank hoping for an even larger ‘‘Grande Cafe’’.