Eight leggers

The early 3000 (narrow cab) Fodens we had, had awfully heavy steering. Our L and M regs made your arms ache if you had to shunt, although the N and P regs were a vast improvement.
Merc Axor 8w I had as a demo was lovely and responsive, let down I think by the long travel on the brake pedal.
MANs appear to be our choice now, great motors and good dealer backup. They’re autos too yet they still get praised…
Yet to drive a MAN so my wagon of choice is our 56 reg Alphas with 400 Cats.
:sunglasses:

Muckaway:
Their popularity is down to the fact they carry more than 6wheelers. About time some of those 5 axle Dutch tippers were allowed over here.

When I was on tippers our ali 6w scania took 16t and the steel volvo 8w would only take 18, hardly worth the wear and tear of an extra axle.

mucker85:

Muckaway:
Their popularity is down to the fact they carry more than 6wheelers. About time some of those 5 axle Dutch tippers were allowed over here.

When I was on tippers our ali 6w scania took 16t and the steel volvo 8w would only take 18, hardly worth the wear and tear of an extra axle.

I know a firm near Stratford on Avon that will not part with an L reg Merc SK 6w as it carries nearly 17t. Then our MAN 8ws barely carry 19t…Mainly down to unnecessary over strengthening of the chassis and nonsense like auto tailgates (200kg weight penalty apparently).

8 wheelers are fantastic to drive when loaded , they are like bumper cars on rails …

heres one i had a while ago … good fun . :sunglasses: