Do you think this is legally possible?

To gauge things, on a 10hr drive from Brigg near Scunthorpe, you can get to Portsmouth, and as far back as The Stockyard at M18 J1 if you’re lucky, more likely Woodhall or even only Tibshelf. If you’re really unlucky with traffic then only the McDonalds and Total on the M42/A444 junction.

For a Leeds/Didcot/Soton and back you’d be pushing it that’s for sure.

Rob K:

flying_fenman:
I reckon keeping to the speed limits (A43 & A34)

fwiw when fully loaded, I take the M69 route round the chaventy ringroad and join the M40 for a little run down to the A34. There’s 120 to 300 seconds difference in it and there’s far less roundabouts to faff around with which is good for diesel consumption too.

And for the homeward run, because of M1 roadworks, congestion at various areas I have quite surprisingly discvoered it’s quicker on a day run to take the return leg all the way up the M40 to brum, and go round the M42 and up the A42. Given the extra mileage and going round the mighty brum circular, it never fails to amaze me.

Not got much experiance but i would say thats a very long Journey to even TRY to do in one go. Doesnt seem to leave any time for ANY sort of delay. I wouldnt fancy the agency giving me that run :open_mouth:

If it’s a DHL/Tesco run, they should know better than to plan so close to the llimits. One of the stipulations on anyone’s O licence is that they don’t plan runs so that the driver is put under pressure to get so close to the liimits. They should only plan runs to 9 hrs driving, the tenth hour is or should be your leeway to get the 9 hour run done if things go pear shaped. Fair enough if you are a tramper, you can just stop for the night when your time runs out. I’m not sure if VOSA enforce this stipulation that much but like I said, firms like DHL should err on the side of caution. Also whatever about a ten hour drive, could you do it in a 15 hour shift?

Stevewoods:
I wouldnt fancy the agency giving me that run :open_mouth:

I would. Pretty much guaranteed 15 hours for the first day, then a night out and at least a guaranteed 8 hours the next day, with the likelihood you would work less than the 8 anyway. Minimum of 22.25 hours paid, 6.25 hours of it over time and night out money on top for an easy two days work. Lovely. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I very much doubt it could be done, unless you were in one of those home delivery vans. :confused:

Then it could be done in about half the time, if the idiot I see the other day was driving!!! :frowning: :frowning:

Coffeeholic:

Stevewoods:

I would. Pretty much guaranteed 15 hours for the first day, then a night out and at least a guaranteed 8 hours the next day, with the likelihood you would work less than the 8 anyway. Minimum of 22.25 hours paid, 6.25 hours of it over time and night out money on top for an easy two days work. Lovely. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I couldn’t agree more!

No that can’t be done,but I’d like to do the run against some drivers on my place because they seem to thing Leicester - Aberdeen - Leicester is only possible with the aid of two 10 hour drives.
Breedy.

Coffeeholic:

Stevewoods:

What i meant was getting booked as a day driver for a day run then getting told this was the run they expected you to do in the day!

Stevewoods:

Coffeeholic:

Stevewoods:

What i meant was getting booked as a day driver for a day run then getting told this was the run they expected you to do in the day!

On any job I never assumed I was getting booked as a day driver. As far as I was concerned I was just being booked as a driver, so I would take that run, do as much as I could then give them the news about the night out, and the non return to the depot until the next day, later in the day. Their ■■■■-up = £££ for you.

Rob K:

Coffeeholic:

Stevewoods:

I couldn’t agree more!

Me too if I was on agency - the ching ching factor would be great. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Just to make it clear after reading Silver_Surfer’s comments - it was NOT on a DHL site that I heard this conversation. It is NOT DHL planning this job.
I know our lot are a bit optimistic at times, but even my Traffic Operator would laugh at this one!! :laughing:

Many thanks to all who have posted their thoughts so far. :wink: