Detroit Diesel Engines

Dennis

You don’t know what he’s compiling at the moment.Probably don’t want to know.
Whatever comes out will be worth a comment!! ( Tongue in cheek )

Bassman

Bassman:
Dennis

You don’t know what he’s compiling at the moment.Probably don’t want to know.
Whatever comes out will be worth a comment!! ( Tongue in cheek )

Bassman

So “Bassman” it would appear that you have “inside” info on what “The Man/Boy from Leatherhead” is up to :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Cheers Dennis.

Bassman:
Hi

Question for the experts.
Was it not the Detroit Diesel that ERF used when doing their gas converted engines? Not the dual fuelled one that I believe Foden had a go with ,the one I’m thinking about was 100% gas fuelled, either CNG or LNG.

Cheers Bassman

Yes Bassman, it was the Detroit that ERF used for the gas powered models. I think Safeways ran a sizeable of Detroit gas engined EC127’s, and a firm called Caratrans had some of the last gas engined ECX’s made along with gas engined EC’s and Scania P113’s. The ECX’s were Day cab’s with the gas tanks mounted verticle up behind the cab (to give maximum amount of range). I think i read elsewhere on TN that the Scania gas 113’s were a total disaster in service.
The problem Caratrans had was selling the ERF’s when they had finished with them, could’nt sell’em for love nor money, think they ended up breaking some for parts.
Chris.

DETROIT DIESEL ENGINES.

FODEN 4000-SERIES DETROIT DIESEL 60-SERIES H624 KFA

ERF EC127 DETROIT DIESEL 60-SERIES W377 RRE

Commercial Motor roadtested the following Foden 4000-Series S106TS 6x2 Tractive Unit,H624 KFA.Railfreight.Commercial Motor Roadtest,
Friday,11th April.1991.A recent photograph of this actual roadtest Detroit Diesel 60-Series-engined Foden,H624 KFA:-

Commercial Motor roadtest of the above Foden:-

archive.commercialmotor.com/arti … 0/roadtest

archive.commercialmotor.com/arti … 2/roadtest

archive.commercialmotor.com/arti … -series-60

FODEN 4000-SERIES S106TS 6x2 TWIN STEER TRACTIVE UNIT,H624 KFA,powered by a Detroit Diesel 60-Series Engine.Railfreight.Commercial Motor Roadtest,Friday,11th April,1991.Commercial Motor front cover of that issue:-

BIGLORRYBLOG:-

commercialmotor.com/big-lorr … biglorrybl

ERF EC127 DETROIT DIESEL 60-SERIES-ENGINED 6x2 TWIN STEER TRACTIVE UNIT,W377 RRE.Wyatt.Shirleys Tranport,one of three:-

BIGLORRYBLOG:-

commercialmotor.com/big-lorr … t-diesel-e

commercialmotor.com/big-lorr … oit-diesel

FODEN 4000-SERIES S106TS 6x2 TWIN STEER TRACTIVE UNIT-ARTIC,H624 KFA.Railfreight Distribution.Commercial Motor Roadtest:-

VALKYRIE

The gas Scanias were conversions, they had a spark plug drilled into the head where the injector used to be, they had cooling issues, the gas part was fine though.

I did an article/road test on those Scanias, they went well and were very quiet, a bit revvy, like a ■■■■■■■ L10, when compared to a diesel Scania engine.

Did something on those Caratrans ERFs too, but can’t remember what, I know I never drove one as the vague recollection I have of the event is of being in a marquee in their yard with a glass of wine, it gets a little fuzzy after that. I can’t even remember them having Detroits in those ERFs :cry: so that speaks volumes for the quality/quantity of the wine :laughing:

053.JPG

Dennis

Heaven forbid me having inside information on Mr.C/F
The you was a generalisation, strange how quiet he’s been ,I would have thought this topic would have been right up his street ----and the next one --and the next one.

Bassman

I think the 180 Gardner was more than a match for this pile of junk from over the pond , those yanks should have made the trip over here we could have learnt them a thing or too

London waste had some gas powered fodens that were not a success don’t know if it was Detroit based. Anyone know the price difference between a erf with Detroit or ■■■■■■■■
Wonder if the Detroit suffered on the back of the reputation of the two strokes been guzzlers.

As for carryfast perhaps operation yew tree saw the jimmy savile thread and wanted a chat :smiley:

Bassman:
Dennis

Heaven forbid me having inside information on Mr.C/F
The you was a generalisation, strange how quiet he’s been ,I would have thought this topic would have been right up his street ----and the next one --and the next one.

Bassman

What you really mean “Bassman” is “CF” would be like “a dog with a street full of lamposts and a bellyfull of ■■■■” :sunglasses: But as I have already stated “CF” may not be at liberty to offer his “wisdom” (sorry Norm no offence :wink: )at this time in the Lunar calendar :blush: Cheers Dennis.

20V4000.jpg00.jpg[/attachment]this is the Detroit that was fitted to the guy big j. :unamused:

or maybe this one.

These are pictures of a remanufactured Series 60 Detroit Diesel as fitted into the new chassis of a 2012 Freightliner by a company called Fitzgerald Glider Kits. They get round the emissions regs with an old engine block and don’t use DEF. A high-powered economic and reliable engine; cheap too.

we have some shunting locomotives fitted with the series 60 Detroit engines pushing out 500bhp, they often pull 300+ tonne with no effort ,