Cumbria/Southern Scottish firms

Try WM Armstrongs in Longtown.The trucks are decent and the wages are probably better than Scottish firms.
General haulage with curtainsiders is ok but avoid the milktankers unless you want to be away over the weekends and parked up in a layby for Christmas day for virtually no more money.
They rarely pay parking and operate a fuel bonus which is a joke.
Overall I think they are one of the better ones in this area for wages and the people in the office for the general haulage are good.

nab:
Try WM Armstrongs in Longtown.The trucks are decent and the wages are probably better than Scottish firms.
General haulage with curtainsiders is ok but avoid the milktankers unless you want to be away over the weekends and parked up in a layby for Christmas day for virtually no more money.
They rarely pay parking and operate a fuel bonus which is a joke.
Overall I think they are one of the better ones in this area for wages and the people in the office for the general haulage are good.

Avoid the livestock side also from what I’ve heard, you never get your ‘own’ truck, so constantly running around and sleeping in other people’s ■■■■, run to the limit at all hours night and day…(but legally btw :bulb: ) and virtually no home life to speak of, most of it spent catching up on kip.

Changing units all the time would be my deal breaker, can’t put up living with other people’s mistakes and mess.
As for livestock you couldn’t pay me enough, my old man used to run his own wagon doing horses UK to Ireland, animal welfare out ways everything else not to mention literally dealing with bull $h1t every day :laughing:

Any firms out West I might be missing aside from harrisons at Waverton, lawsons or eric nicholson at cockermouth, Tyson Burridge on taughts, Duncan hill on tanks or Thompsons plant (pretty sure they run flats but stand to be corrected)

Come to think of it I’m pretty spoilt for choice as it goes! Haven’t even started looking at penrith yet

fridger:
Changing units all the time would be my deal breaker, can’t put up living with other people’s mistakes and mess.
As for livestock you couldn’t pay me enough, my old man used to run his own wagon doing horses UK to Ireland, animal welfare out ways everything else not to mention literally dealing with bull $h1t every day :laughing:

Any firms out West I might be missing aside from harrisons at Waverton, lawsons or eric nicholson at cockermouth, Tyson Burridge on taughts, Duncan hill on tanks or Thompsons plant (pretty sure they run flats but stand to be corrected)

Come to think of it I’m pretty spoilt for choice as it goes! Haven’t even started looking at penrith yet

thompsons (flimby) run plant and flats as you say , also tippers and logs ,Duncan hill also run tauts ,you could also try g&am Lawson plant and tippers gilgarran or armstrongs flimby

JR Dixons at lilyhall are looking.Alan Glendinning at Penrith is usually looking.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

indeed (tinternet job site ) are advertising xpo logistics wigton class 1 £10.10 ph + don’t know where they would be in wigton though ?

^ Probably Innovia.

What is John Beaty like to work for on the bulkers??
Seems to have a nice fleet there in his yard right next to
M6 N at Penrith.

Lawsons in Cockermouth.

Just bumping this thread, as it’s thrown up a quandary…

Just how far do* people travel to their place of work?

*Or, how far are people ‘willing’ to travel for work…■■

This thread reminded me of a driver that came into our place delivering fertilizer…

His ‘place of work’, was somewhere in Yorkshire (N/S/E or west, I don’t know), but he lived up here in Northumberland…

He was a tramper, so technically, he only travelled to / from work twice a week. But if he had a run near to his home, he’d take the truck home…

So, when looking for jobs, is it worth ‘looking further afield’…■■?

I’ve always set 45min journey as max for shift work, depends how good the job is, out all week and 4 hours each way ain’t to bad on paper. Bit of a killer if your taking a reduced weekly though. Closer to home the better obviously, best work/life balance job I had we used to finish by six and I was in the door at 5 past! Would still be there if the money was better :frowning:

Goldfinger:
Just bumping this thread, as it’s thrown up a quandary…

Just how far do* people travel to their place of work?

*Or, how far are people ‘willing’ to travel for work…■■

This thread reminded me of a driver that came into our place delivering fertilizer…

His ‘place of work’, was somewhere in Yorkshire (N/S/E or west, I don’t know), but he lived up here in Northumberland…

He was a tramper, so technically, he only travelled to / from work twice a week. But if he had a run near to his home, he’d take the truck home…

So, when looking for jobs, is it worth ‘looking further afield’…■■?

20 mins to work, half an hour back with the traffic, 30 mile round trip.

I’d consider 2 hours travel each way if the job was right, I do away all week, if I was doing 2 or 3 weeks I’d consider further still. All for the right job of course.

A.

I’d consider 2 hours travel each way if the job was right, I do away all week, if I was doing 2 or 3 weeks I’d consider further still. All for the right job of course.

A.
[/quote]
If I was to return to driving, I’d have to consider this, as there’s nowt that I can see anyway for a returning (new to them) driver, in this area… :frowning: