CPC? plz explain

Yes I know what you are saying Coffee.
For those who are not familiar with the way in which the European Parliament works:

An EU Regulation is a piece of legislation which must be applied by each member state in its entirety and in exactly the same way. An EU Regulation does not require domestic legislation to be passed in the UK to implement it; it automatically comes into force and, furthermore, where it is at odds with domestic law then the EU Regulation will prevail. An example of an EU Regulation is 561/2006 which deals with driver’s hours of work and is applied uniformly by all members of the EU.

An EU Directive lays down an objective to be achieved but does not specify how individual member states should meet it. For example, professional competence for road haulage operators was tackled by EU Directive 74/561. The objective was to create a requirement for professional competence before a person could engage in the occupation of road haulage operator. Individual member states though, have developed differing methods of assessing professional competence, and each member state has created its own domestic legislation to implement the principles.

EU directive 2003/59, as its name states is a directive, who knows how it will be interpreted or implemented■■?

I would say that the driver CPC is already in force in Europe.

How else could you describe FIMO / FCOS

or we could refuse the exams like they did in Bournemouth :stuck_out_tongue:

Learn Direct

Once it was enough to have a driving licence and know the way to the railway station. But taxi drivers today have to have rather more sophisticated qualifications as well.

More than 100 taxi drivers on the South Coast have had their licences withdrawn because they boycotted a “patronising” course intended to teach them how to do the job that they are already doing, and in some cases have been for more than 25 years.

The cabbies in Bournemouth are the first in the country to have to sit through eight weeks of lectures in order to have their licences renewed by the council. During the weekly classes they have been taught to say “Hello” and shown how to lift a heavy case. They are also told to practise reading body language and advised on conflict management techniques.

More than 100 drivers, one in ten of Bournemouth’s cabbies, have refused to attend the BTEC course claiming that it was “patronising”. Others only took part because they could not afford to lose their licences but claim that it was a waste of time.

The angry cabbies claim that virtually everything in the course entitled Transporting Passengers By Taxi and Private Hire is “basic common sense” and that it is ridiculous to expect them to take an exam to show that they are competent to do a job that they have been doing for years.

While the BTEC course covers licensing regulations, carriage of luggage, route planning, disability awareness and customer service, it also gives instructions on box lifting – having conducted a risk assessment first. The section on customer service advises drivers to build up a “friendly rapport” with regular customers. By way of illustration, a cartoon shows a driver greeting a customer with the words “Hello Mrs Smith, nice to see you again.”

Drivers are advised on “conflict management techniques” and encouraged to follow one of five animal models. The “wise owl” uses teamwork and cooperation to achieve a solution, the “wily fox” gives a little to win a lot, the “teddy bear” plays down conflict, the “man-eating shark” wins by force of argument and the “elderly turtle” turns around and walks away.

Frank Shaw refused to take the course. He says that he will sue the council if his licence is withdrawn. “I have been driving a cab for 25 years so why should I have to prove that I’m capable of the doing the job?” he said.

“About 80 per cent of what you have to learn on this course is either completely ridiculous or just not relevant. I know how to greet a customer and lift a suitcase – I don’t need a piece of paper to prove that.

“If my appeal gets rejected I will just take it higher and higher. I plan to retire in two years so I’m more than happy to fight this on principle.”

Another driver, who did not wish to be named, says that he took the course because he feared losing his job.

He said: “I have been driving cabs for 20 years yet they are now trying to tell me how to do my job. It’s an idiot’s course. Some of the information is useful, like how to react if you come across a serious accident, but the majority is just common sense.

“It’s quite patronising really. I took the exam and passed but I only did it because I didn’t want my licence taken off me as it’s my livelihood.”

Bournemouth is the first local authority to make the BTEC qualification, administered by the examinations board Edexcel, a requirement for a taxi licence. Drivers already have to attend a short course and pass a test to obtain a private hire licence from the DVLA. They also have to pay £75 for clearance from the criminal records bureau.

The resort’s 1,000 cabbies were given a deadline of February 2008 to sit the exam and were told that they would be suspended if they did not meet it.

Stephen Chappell, chairman of Bournemouth council’s licensing board, said: “This qualification is vital to ensure our drivers are of a high standard, and residents and visitors receive the best possible service.”

On the syllabus

– Instructions on how to lift a box. Drivers must make an initial “risk assessment”, which includes estimating the shape and likely weight of the load, examining the surrounding area for potential hazards and assessing their fitness level

– Building a “friendly rapport” with your regular customers including advice on saying “hello”

– Practise reading body language though the rear-view mirror. “Are you able to recognise ‘annoyance, anger, vagueness, humour, worry’?”

– Pay attention to your “personal qualities and appearance”, including teeth brushing and beard trimming

– Conflict management techniques, based on the five animal role models

– Plus tests on licensing regulations, map-reading, route planning and mileage charts, how to define disabilities, passenger empathy, customer service and driver dignity

Source: BTEC course for Transporting Passengers by Taxi and Private Hire

That’s very interesting Wheel Nut.

The bit that caught my eye was this from The Transport Office:

The Driving Standards Agency (DSA) first introduced a non-statutory practical driving test for Hackney Carriage and Private Hire in 1999 and now DSA conduct tests on behalf of many Licensing Authorities on a national basis.

DSA take the view that professional Hackney Carriage and Private Hire drivers have a special responsibility in the safe transportation of fare paying passengers. Every journey should be a safe one, taxi drivers make millions of safe and efficient journeys in Britain each year and the safe completion of each journey totally depends on the skill of the driver.

Some Licensing Authorities insist that before you are issued with a Hackney Carriage or Private Hire drivers licence you must pass a Hackney Carriage/Private Hire assessment. If your Licensing Authority requires you to take the test, it is recommended that you familiarise yourself with the content of the test and that you take professional instruction prior to taking the test.

Here is THE SOURCE

I’d also mention that the college I sometimes work for has been running the “taxi” NVQ for well over a year.

The Transport Office website: http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/

Hi All,

Presumably, in a lot of cases, existing enployers will pay for an existing LGV driver’s CPC Periodic Training when it becomes necessary in 2014?

From what I can gather C1 drivers will also have to take the training. Does anyone know whether the training will be the same for C1, C and C&E drivers?

For drivers that have C licences, but who are only driving C1 vehicles, will the training cover both? If not, will the employer fund the extra to cover both types of vehicles, I wonder?

Dumpster

Dumpster:
Hi All,

Presumably, in a lot of cases, existing enployers will pay for an existing LGV driver’s CPC Periodic Training when it becomes necessary in 2014?

From what I can gather C1 drivers will also have to take the training. Does anyone know whether the training will be the same for C1, C and C&E drivers?

For drivers that have C licences, but who are only driving C1 vehicles, will the training cover both? If not, will the employer fund the extra to cover both types of vehicles, I wonder?

Dumpster

From what I can gather so far, the initial driver cpc will be the same for all classes of LGV and the ongoing driver cpc should be tailored to the actual job being done.

As for who pays :question: :question: :question: :question: :question: :question:

[From what I can gather so far, the initial driver cpc will be the same for all classes of LGV and the ongoing driver cpc should be tailored to the actual job being done.

As for who pays :question: :question: :question: :question: :question: :question:
[/quote]

I suppose that makes sense to a degree but will presumably reduce further the number of good Class C and C & E drivers able to use their licences in future.

Dumpster:

ROG:
From what I can gather so far, the initial driver cpc will be the same for all classes of LGV and the ongoing driver cpc should be tailored to the actual job being done.

I suppose that makes sense to a degree but will presumably reduce further the number of good Class C and C & E drivers able to use their licences in future.

It does seem that many nearing retirement will be finishing a bit early to avoid doing it :frowning: :frowning: