brevitt

anybody remember brevitt carriers from willenhall ?

curnock : I have been looking through the back pages and found this and was surprised you did not get a reply as they were quite a big concern. I was a bit suprised when they finished but I think someone in the company kept some of the work and I seem to remember ran as Aspreys, blue motors, nothing as striking as Brevitt’s livery. I bought a 13ton Leyland that had been theirs, my first curtain sider. When they packed up, I believe it was their garage manager, bought a few wagons and sold them on. This one was a bit of a rare beast, as I think it was called a Chieftain, looked like a Boxer but I was told it was a mish-mash of parts put together when Leyland were struggling. It was a Leyland with a G cab on Albion running gear so it had eight stud wheels and other odd parts. Had some fun with spares over the years I could tell you a few tales about. Was a flyer though, well compared to my Fords, :blush: and I ran it a fair few years, in fact I still had it when I called it a day in '94, though I had put a flat on it by then as I always liked to keep one flat. I always thought I would like to have kept it as I had only ever seen one other, but with planning to move down here I couldn’t see it possible. The chap that bought it just wanted an old cheap motor for a job, can’t remember what, logs or something like that, so I guessed it would be just run into the ground. :frowning: I have some pics of it somewhere I will look out and try to put them on, I saw them when I was sorting stuff out just after xmas so they shouldn’t be far away. Unless I put them ‘safe’ then I won’t have a clue where they are!! :laughing:

i thought they used to be in the big warehouse near jct 2 of the m5 about 20 years ago but it’s probably my memory letting me down again!

they used to have a set time to get to a destination,thats why they never hung about “flyers”.then i can remember in the late seventies riding with me dad southbound m1 passin toddington there was an accident on the northbound.a foreign artic passin a brevitt motor decided he wanted to get on the services and took the brevitt bedford with him.cant remember what happened to the driver,but everytime you saw them after that they were 50-55 mph

Curnock… another from the Brum area was Wilmot Breedon, I used to go in there at Stirchley very unionised. do you have and photos of them?

Also when i was 15 and no H&S I used to drive a forklift, where I used to unload Bore Steel and Lye Steel motors, Bore had White and Blue D 1000’s ■■■■■■■ powered and Lye’s had light Brown or Grey AEC’s.

swiftnick:
i thought they used to be in the big warehouse near jct 2 of the m5 about 20 years ago but it’s probably my memory letting me down again!

Was a big warehouse but Ithink they’ld be nearer J10 of the M6, can’t remember the name of the road now and probably couldn’t take you there after all this time. Couldn’t forget there motors though, you’d needed some of these! :sunglasses: :laughing:

BigG-Unit:

swiftnick:

Was a big warehouse but Ithink they’ld be nearer J10 of the M6, can’t remember the name of the road now and probably couldn’t take you there after all this time. Couldn’t forget there motors though, you’d needed some of these! :sunglasses: :laughing:

the main depot was ashmore lake way willenhall.they had two other smaller depots also in the willenhall area,one was on the willenhall road which is now a middleton paper depot and the other one was at wood lane short heath the rear of some private bungalows

brevitt’s were purchased by parceline,or the company that became parceline…some of the mechanics are still in the workshops even now. :open_mouth:
parceline has had plenty of owners the latest being DPD.when i was there we used to de-livery the trucks about every 18 months.
some of the sticker sets:mayne nickless,chronopost,interlink express,geopost,dpd.
apparently the old hub site was FLYMO’s old foundry site but i’m not too sure.
the new hub site was a steel works i think.
i know the mechanics who came to parceline with brevitt’s are still on the original contracts.so i’m pretty certain the info is right.
as for asprey i’m not sure of the connection but i remember some talk of them being the original brevitt’s re-started after the time limit set by the sale agreement.

That sounds pretty plausible as I don’t remember any talk of them going bust and the chap probably had the motors they didn’t want to keep. I reckon it would have been about '86 and I think the Leyland I had was an Xreg, I still have a couple of old job books so I will check it out. We were quite busy when I bought it so we ran it in the Brevitt livery, with just the name removed, for some time but it looked a bit tatty! :blush: