Box lengths 7.5 tonne truck

I wouldn’t bother trying to convert a 7.5t unless you are looking to throw £20k + at it as anything less will have it looking like a festival wagon .
Loads of American motor homes about for cheap money if you know how to use a spanner .
My mate bought a 34ft one with a headgasket gone for £500! Cost more to have it transported to his workshop .
It was for sale in Ireland the month before at €11500 .
Lots about for 6or7 k if you look hard .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

TiredAndEmotional:
Have you researched the chip oil situation? Because nobody is giving the old oil away these days.

Running on chip fat, will need to be pre common rail, so on a Merc you’d be looking at pre 97 motor.

have you thought of looking at a mercedes c class van ?

google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j … 1416054170

look at motorhome ads on kijiji MB ,some o these motorhomes go for peanuts…don’t know about the shipping exchange rate think 1 gbp—1.5 $…this is nice though.

Conor:

lawsoflen:
Hello I hope you dont find my question too basic.
I’m looking to buy a 7.5 t truck to turn into a motor home. I plan on spending about 6k on the truck.
Another 1k on the solar and I also plan on LPG tank to run hot water and fridge, shower etc. I was also going to convert to run on old chip oil.
I figure all in it’s gonna be about 10 to 12k as I want a pretty slick finish and not some half baked hippie mobile.

ROFLMAO. I think you’re going to be in for one hell of a shock if you want a slick finish for £3,000 to £5,000. My wife has just got a quote to respray her Renault Trafic van. £2,000 and that only gets the outside and door shuts done, none of the plastics. So you’re going to lose somewhere between 40% and 60% of your budget just painting the bit you’ve modified, let alone the cab.

Do you know me? I’m not the sort to “Get a man in” but thanks for your ■■■■ take.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

3 wheeler:

Yeah exactly. 80k of plastic crap.
I get that everyone has their own ideas.
I’m fine with my employees. Sparks, chippy etc. So please you can all stop worrying about my maths.
So in short 29ft in length is something I made up.
And removal wagons and bread lorries can be 27ft with the drop back and side door etc.
Yes I am old enough to be able to drive on my car license.
No I don’t plan on doing any such thing like a respray (■■?)
And it will be mostly parked up and used for weekends in the UK. No intention of ever cruising Europe etc in this motor.

Well thanks everyone for some great (and not so) answers. Great to be able to get info from people who know.
An old bread lorry it is.

Franglais:
Beware of your weights. A big body will need acres of insulation panelling. Add all the glass windows, fixtures and fittings, water etc and you’ll be overweight before you sit in it. Bearing that in mind go for a bigger engined one or you’ll be permanently struggling.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Thanks. I’ve been reading up on this the last few nights. Seems average 24ft is 4.5t giving me 3t for refit. It’s not goin to be a family machine. Just me and the dog.
I’ll only carry a small water system. Likely travel empty anyways.
I plan on using some clever light weight materials and think I would struggle to use 2t.
I’m aware that as I go on with a build it’s a certainty I’ll have to find a weighbridge to be sure of what’s exactly goin on.
Thanks for reply 1

Adonis.:

lawsoflen:
Hello I hope you dont find my question too basic.
I’m looking to buy a 7.5 t truck to turn into a motor home. I plan on spending about 6k on the truck.
Another 1k on the solar and I also plan on LPG tank to run hot water and fridge, shower etc. I was also going to convert to run on old chip oil.
I figure all in it’s gonna be about 10 to 12k as I want a pretty slick finish and not some half baked hippie mobile.

Finally the question. Internal size of the box. I know I need the extra sized box that is 8ft wide etc but I’m wondering what length the boxes go to. I see lots of 20 ft and that’s too short. I also see lots of 24ft bodies and that would be ok. I’m sure I read an advert for a 29ft Body? Am I making that up or does the 7.5t truck commonly come with a 29ft Box?

Also whilst I’m at it. . . I will only be doing 5k miles a year so with that in mind. What makes and models would you recommend and what to avoid. I figure I’ll be in the market to get a truck that’s made about 2007 ish for the money I have. Daf iveco Merc?

Appreciate your advice. Sorry if I’ve messed this post up somehow.

L

I’m no expert but I don’t think you’ll get a 29ft puddle jumper, that’s in to class 2 territory.

Ivecos are horrible, plastic, rattly heaps. The DAF and Merc are both popular, my personal choice would be a Merc Atego out of the 2.

A.

Yeah the Alto is the one that stands out.
Not too bothered really as it will only make about 8 to 12 trips a year. So long as it’s a clean reliable example. I can live with cheaper finishes in the cab.
Thanks for replying

Nobby_Clarke:
Or buy an ex race truck :bulb:

No thanks.

nsmith1180:
I would be guessing that the 29ft vehicles would be ex Hovis or ex Warburtons. The bread wagons can afford to go longer because they don’t ever get to weight.

I’d be looking at an ex-Warburtons one if there is a choice as they already have steps and a lockable door built in.

There is no maximum length specific to 7.5t vehicles, only the max 12m or 39ft length on any rigid vehicle.

Cheers for answering my question.
Yeah I realised I was wrongly counting 12t trucks too. I can’t drive one of those.
A bread lorry is a great shout.
I plan on using the space open plan instead of how traditional campers are all divided, so I’m confident I’ll be hard pressed to add 2t. 27 ft is more than perfect. Really appreciate your help.

Crossroads:
Seems you get a small number of 27 foot or more box bodies on 7.5t trucks, usually for furniture / mattress manufacturers and the like - this link started me thinking… corsasport.co.uk/board/viewt … tid=523547
I looked into it and mobile library conversions, (which look a lot easier), also race trucks but found them either really tatty or very expensive.
Also pretty rare and as others have said, overweight or nearly so and often under powered.
In the end I decided I would be better of with an older purpose built motorhome e.g. youtube.com/watch?v=kVcsMbwKM2s
These and similar vehicles from Concorde, Carthago, Pheonix etc are also scarce and sometimes over 7.5t
I’m still looking, hope to get one later this year or early next.

Race trucks exactly. Either Bodger has mashed one together or and they’re old and really expensive. Often in stupid livery too. No thanks.
Horseboxes too are expensive.
Not up for the library but have seen several good ones.
Everyone has their own plan and I’m not gonna spell mine out but a plain white or black 7.5t is perfect.
The bread lorry shout is new to me and I think sounds promising. I have seen several removal trucks and I like the double side stage doors. And the extra height and the drop back with side doors. Just think the insulation (going to spray 1.5") might start to become too expensive to cover all that extra surface area of a removal -furniture box.
Thanks for replying and good luck with your build.

Washwipe:

TiredAndEmotional:
Have you researched the chip oil situation? Because nobody is giving the old oil away these days.

Running on chip fat, will need to be pre common rail, so on a Merc you’d be looking at pre 97 motor.

To be honest I havnt looked too far into it.
So I assume modern truck engines won’t run on oil?
I know all about getting the oil cleaned and I know about installing the system in theory.
Could you tell me what types of engine it will run on?
It’s not a deal breaker but I know loads of chefs etc so I see it as free fuel essentially as can collect more than I’d need whenever I wanted.
Plan to use a few wheelie bins for storage and refining filtering of the oil.
I also have a friend who converts buses to run on oil.

JIMBO47:
look at motorhome ads on kijiji MB ,some o these motorhomes go for peanuts…don’t know about the shipping exchange rate think 1 gbp—1.5 $…this is nice though.

Not for me but thanks.

lawsoflen:

Washwipe:

TiredAndEmotional:

I know all about getting the oil cleaned and I know about installing the system in theory.
It’s not a deal breaker but I know loads of chefs etc so I see it as free fuel essentially as can collect more than I’d need whenever I wanted.

As mentioned,old veg oil isnt compatible with the more modern common rail injection diesels. A centrifugal common rail pump runs at extremely high pressure, refined chip oil would soon destroy it. EGR valves would also soon clog up and DPF (if fitted) wouldnt last long either, it would also reduce injector life. Also remember its going to be a low cetane number which will lead to lower power and increased consumption. Indirect injection stuff is fine but youre then probably looking at pretty ancient well worn /high mileage trucks.
Im not sure but in the UK isnt the allowed amount produced quite low before HMRC get involved?

Re engine power, some believe high hp engines can be uneconomical but ive always found the opposite.
Taller gearing will be their virtue and a lower rpm cruising speed which equates to a more relaxing drive plus …power there if you need it…

I would ignore a lorry designed to carry freight like a 26 or 27’ Box. Look for people carriers like prison vans, they are secure, insulated and made with lighter crossmembers and frames, they will be serviced and probably have a heating system plumbed in.

Wheel Nut:
I would ignore a lorry designed to carry freight like a 26 or 27’ Box. Look for people carriers like prison vans, they are secure, insulated and made with lighter crossmembers and frames, they will be serviced and probably have a heating system plumbed in.

Thanks but I know what I want.
Prison trucks too small.

AndrewG:

lawsoflen:

Washwipe:

TiredAndEmotional:

As mentioned,old veg oil isnt compatible with the more modern common rail injection diesels. A centrifugal common rail pump runs at extremely high pressure, refined chip oil would soon destroy it. EGR valves would also soon clog up and DPF (if fitted) wouldnt last long either, it would also reduce injector life. Also remember its going to be a low cetane number which will lead to lower power and increased consumption. Indirect injection stuff is fine but youre then probably looking at pretty ancient well worn /high mileage trucks.
Im not sure but in the UK isnt the allowed amount produced quite low before HMRC get involved?

Re engine power, some believe high hp engines can be uneconomical but ive always found the opposite.
Taller gearing will be their virtue and a lower rpm cruising speed which equates to a more relaxing drive plus …power there if you need it…

Thanks for your reply.
After I posted I had a Google about the engines and yes the modern engines are not suitable.
Back to the drawing board… unless an lpg conversion is viable? I’d be using LPG anyway for the camper.
Again my skills and those around me would negate any labour costs. If a suitable kit was available ?

lawsoflen:

AndrewG:

lawsoflen:

Washwipe:

TiredAndEmotional:

Thanks for your reply.
After I posted I had a Google about the engines and yes the modern engines are not suitable.
Back to the drawing board… unless an lpg conversion is viable? I’d be using LPG anyway for the camper.
Again my skills and those around me would negate any labour costs. If a suitable kit was available ?

I know of one owner driver who ran gas. I think on a Eu 5? Volvo artic.
It was a real headache. He hasn’t considered it since.
Can I ask if you’re after saving money or saving the planet?
Financially on 5k ml per yr you’re likely to be investing more in equipment than you’ll save in fuel. Plus risk of being more mechanically vulnerable. If you’re doing it for ethical reasons, it’s up to you of course.
Good luck with your research.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

3 wheeler:

And will leak like a seive in a couple of years time!