Australia then and now

Well that’s innovative and he’s pretty handy on the tools.

Apparently he “meddled” with the AECs too to make them a little bit more lively

1 Like

Coz I know we all love them.
Note how the Scania is making inroads into the bid jobs. In fairness, they’re probably not a bad compromise between cost and robustness. The ■■■■ bean counters will have worked out that if they scrap a Scania at five years, the lower purchase price makes it cheaper. I’d imagine the purchase price would have been fairly keen, pulling those quads at close to two hundred tonne would make for good marketing pictures, worldwide.

How long is that outfit I wonder?
I think that if anyone recognises the tractor models, and knows the dimensions, they could get a fairly accurate idea?

60 metres Franglias.

A bit more about an expatriate P76.

1 Like

Just spotted this in a magazine SDU , is it of any interest and do you recall it?

Just been watching Bangers and Cash and a Vanguard pickup which was built here exported to Australia and now back here sold for just short of £13000 .I’ve not really heard of them , were they Triumphs ?They mentioned it had basically a Triumph 2000 engine with 44000 miles on the clock

Do you mean a Standard Vanguard? My first car in the early '60s was a Mk 1 with a sloping back. The 2nd one was the same, bought each one for a fiver.

The first ended its days as a burnt out stock car at Long Eaton Stadium, the second one expired with a thick wire hawser (reinforced fencing tightened between steel posts) acting like a cheese cutter slicing through the engine at a newly opened track at Doncaster. A few of us from Nottingham had been paid appearance money to start it off. I left it there. :rofl:

Yeah i think it was.Were Standard Triumph the company? It had the old badge i always associated with Triumph. Bangers and Cash is an addictive program and is great for reminding me of what i’d forgotten

Geez Ramone, how old do you think I am? Or are you just being cheeky? :wink:
Wasn’t Donald Campbell killed, during a water speed attempt, in the 1960s?
It is of interest, but I do not recall it.

:joy::joy::joy:Yeah just thought i’d get a reaction

1 Like

Vanguard was a name adopted by Triumph, post WW II. They had to negotiate with the RN (real navy, according to my dad) as Vanguard was a successful wartime ship. Triumph were trying to cash in on the naval success, using names like Pennant.
They all had what was basically, a Grey Fergie tractor engine.
Spardo, your car would have been a good contender in a demolition derby. They may have been slow, but you couldn’t kill them with a big stick. Apparently, a strained wire could get the better of them.

I just googled Donald, he died 4/1/67 (when I was in primary school :grin:), he must’ve been ripe when he was eventually buried in 2001! :astonished:

Born: 23 March 1921, Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom

Died: 4 January 1967 (age 45 years), Coniston Water, United Kingdom

Spouse: Tonia Bern (m. 1958–1967), Dorothy McKegg (m. 1952–1957), Daphne Harvey (m. 1945–1951)

Children: Georgina Campbell

Date of burial: 12 September 2001

Cricky, he could get through wives.

Standard was the company I think, the Triumph name came about because it sold cars in the US because the silly Yanks thought that anything simply standard was below them. :rofl: So I heard. :roll_eyes:

Back to the Vanguards. We weren’t allowed to race without a roll cage, so we got a load of scaffolding pipes cut them to size and then bolted them together round the inside ot the cars. Safety? I had one of those big sharp clips about 5 inches from my right temple. :rofl:

The other thing was we had to put the rads, the fuel tanks and the batteries inside the car too… When i rolled the Vanguard and the car caught fire I burnt all the arms off my denim jacket, but it wasn’t the flames that did that, it was battery acid. :rofl:

If you aren’t already aware of it Bangers and Cash is a brilliant program. Its on Quest and Yesterday here, i’m sure you will be able to stream it.My partner just popped up and said her dad had a Vanguard saloon when she was very young

I think I’ve seen Bangers and Cash on YouTube, I’ll check it out.

Try to get the very begining and watch the Mini Cooper yiu will be amazed

1 Like

I was hoping it was going to be about the restoration.

Car SOS is a restoration prigramme which should be taken for what it is but the results are stunning.

A lot of the resto shows use some dodgy practices and present predictably dodgy final products.

Recently we were discussing genuinely Australian cars. Here’s one, a Valiant Charger. The E49 had a six pot 265 ³" that aquitted itself well, against 351 and 350 ³" V8s from Ford and Holden respectively.