Athol Addison

Condolences from Irish John Conneely too.
Thats the message I’ve been asked to pass on.

And from me too, although I never met Athol, I heard alot about him

Gary Athol Addison:

Axorman:
Hi,

:question: Hi Axorman this photo is does not look like my dads Q39-DRS I have a photo of the 142 h sorry wrong truck

Hello Gary,
I was going by the reg number and the tilt body on the Scania, in the fotos that I have taken.
I never saw your Dads truck in its original form except for the article in Truck magazine.
If you want any fotos in the Green/Orange scheme let me know and I will send you some.
Regards
Ron

Hi Gary, when I heard about the very sad news of your father last month, I had a look in my old photo shoebox to see if I could find an old photo of your Dad in the eighties I remember seeing him once at Kavala Beach in Greece, where you could get a great meal and a cold Carlsberg at a little restaurant right on the beach. Unfortunately I couldn’t find a picture of Athol or his truck.

After seeing Kate’s post this morning, I had another look through the old photo shoebox and came across this picture.

Yes Kate, its another quiet unsung legend of the Middle East, a very young looking John Conneely, is he still as funny as Frank Carson.?
Please tell him to get out of his armchair and to get his memoires onto the TruckNet Middle East site.
I can’t remember if John worked for Radclives of Faringdon or for Bob Kilby in Swindon, as its over twenty years ago since I last saw him.

Best regards Steve.

mushroomman:

Yes Kate, its another quiet unsung legend of the Middle East, a very young looking John Conneely, is he still as funny as Frank Carson.?
Please tell him to get out of his armchair and to get his memoires onto the TruckNet Middle East site.
I can’t remember if John worked for Radclives of Faringdon or for Bob Kilby in Swindon, as its over twenty years ago since I last saw him.

Best regards Steve.

Steve,
I was speaking to John, (or rather listening to him) on friday, and I’m fed up of trying to get him on here. He’s just bought a laptop, and still finding his way around it. I 've told him to take it to work with him, but thats a bit technical for him yet.
Do you mind if I send that photo to John?
He’s not changed a bit, to look at him, just a bit greyer haired now !!!
As for being funny, he thinks he is…
It was Bob Kilby he worked for.
All the best
Kate

ps His daughter gets her beauty from her mother, not from him, ugly old bugger. :slight_smile:

Axorman:

Gary Athol Addison:

Axorman:
Hi,

:question: Hi Axorman this photo is does not look like my dads Q39-DRS I have a photo of the 142 h sorry wrong truck

Hello Gary,
I was going by the reg number and the tilt body on the Scania, in the fotos that I have taken.
I never saw your Dads truck in its original form except for the article in Truck magazine.
If you want any fotos in the Green/Orange scheme let me know and I will send you some.
Regards
Ron

Hello Ron
How are you the article in the truck magazine was a v reg then after the Scania became Q39-DRS the same colour the tralier had white tilt with davies tuner the scania had a white tile the cab was the same colour before dad sold the truck to one of his friends you can send my the photos on here thanks
Regards Gary

My dad passes on his condolences to Athol Addison’s family.
In the Early 80’s my dad did Middle East and had met Athol on a few trips.
He last met Athol in 1991 with another driver called TY Jarvis can anyone tell me if TY Jarvis is still alive?

Hi Gary

I recently joined the forum and would like to add my condolences about
your father. I last seen him loading hanging garments in nhizni novgorad
for eurogate freight. Many moons ago and many good times had going to
russia and beyond. I 1st met him in the middle of the kazakstan en-route zarafshan and he would always help or advice me when i asked.

All the best

Hi i’ve just recently joined. I knew Athol from when I worked for Davies Turner, sorry to hear of his death he was a nice bloke. He sold one of his Scanias to Derick Rance who also worked for DT’s. Does anyone know what became of him or his brother David who lived in Northern Ireland and worked for East West? David used to get bored very easily when weekended in truckstops and start singing things like ‘Onward Christian Soldiers’ at the top of his voice.Got some funny looks!!
Ty Jarvis has semi-retired, living near Weston-super-Mare, he is still with Nan from the truckstop at Piraeus. If you send me a ppm I will let you have his mobile number

cau please tell me in the beach pic ,the guy on the far right is it mad peirre?

No, I dont think so, I think it’s a guy called Dave Farmer ? or his nickname was The Farmer. I think he was from the Swindon area and might of worked for Radclives at one time.

I WAS SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT ATHOL[RIP],I FIRST MET HIM AT THE KOMARNO BORDER HE LENT ME A FORK TO EAT MY CAMION STEW WITH AND I NEVER GOT TO GIVE IT HIM BACK,I ONLY KNEW HIM THEN AS JOCK BUT AFTER MEETING HIM A FEW TIMES I LEARNED HIS NAME.ATHOL WAS CONSPICUOUS BY HIS QUIETNESS,I NEVER HEARD HIM RAISE HIS VOICE EVEN WHEN HE WAS UNDER PRESSUREI REMEMBER WHEN HE SOLD HIS SCANIA141 TO A GUY CALLED ALISTAIR AND BOUGHT THE ONLY ENGLISH DRAW BAR ON THE MIDDLE EAST AT THE TIME.HE WILL BE SADLY MISSED BY A LOT OF PEOPLE RIP ATHOL

Here we go, better on the right site!

adr:

Hullo adr,
I don’t suppose that you’ve got a picture of my old Transcon, GJN 243 Y. Have you ? The last time I saw it was in Dover, it was then owned by Athol ( he was driving it ) and was done up in Davis Turners colours.
Cheers, Archie.

is that the same one that derek rantz used to have ?

LB76:
is that the same one that derek rantz used to have ?

Hullo LB76,
Last time I saw Derek Rance he was still driving a Merc. Mind you it was at least 20 years ago.

Cheers, Archie.

i think archie that derek def used to drive the old lorry of atholl’s i have ran with him with an identical one if not :confused:

LB76:
i think archie that derek def used to drive the old lorry of atholl’s i have ran with him with an identical one if not :confused:

Hullo again,
You’ve achieved an impossibilty, you’ve got my old grey matter working. Yes of course you are spot on, the last time I saw him was believe it or not in my Yard. Yes he had a Scania Wagon and Drag that had previously been one of Atholl’s, that was also in Davis Turner colours. John Fenwick did some welding up and other bits and pieces on it, He was working on a couple of my trailors at the time. However GJN 243 Y Ford Transcontinental, the one I was asking about was a Tractor Unit, an ex Belgium motor that I bought in Antwerp, extra big wheels and a 350 ■■■■■■■ in it.

Cheers, Archie.

Spot on Archie it was the 142 wagon and drag that Derek Rance bought off Athol and he repainted the cab all blue if I remember correctly.

Archie Paice:

adr:

Hullo adr,
I don’t suppose that you’ve got a picture of my old Transcon, GJN 243 Y. Have you ? The last time I saw it was in Dover, it was then owned by Athol ( he was driving it ) and was done up in Davis Turners colours.
Cheers, Archie.

Hi Archie,
Not that I know of at mo’, but who knows what’ll turn up in my loft, I keep finding pics/mags etc so could well turn up something!
Regards Chris

I quite often see ( I think its a volvo FH) with R.ADDISON on the side, from up aberdeenshire way, I often wonder is this any relation to Athol??