Are things so bad these days

why am I finding it hard to source a driving job again since I got some 10 months under my belt - now back into pc work for the next 3 months and will look again at HGV jobs come april/may

I lost my job back in Dec when I had a little ding in Westbury involving the trailer coming in a bit early on my blind side (turning into a side road - tight!) and hit a appoxy little post/fence but it did some damaged to the side rails of the trailer.

Well gutted - now doing MS Excel work for the next 3 months, but I do want to get back into driving again - but not on stupid rates of £5.50ph that seens to be popping up all of the time on job centre site.

See one job for £20k on Class 2 doing removals (2-3 nigths out a week) with 2 other guys in the truck. and another one for Class 2 jetter (£8ph - cleaning out sewers), same again for local water firm for £20k. Everyone i apply for they are not interested(age) or job has gone!

Mike

scanny77:
i was offered a job paying £19,500 for a 45 hour week and i turned it down. dont undervalue yourself. in most areas, a class 1 driver is worth £22000+ these days. if people give in, the money will never go up

Dont set your sights too high now will you!!!, @ £22,000 PA , thats still crap money before tax, to get £400 per week after tax you need to earn around the £28000 Mark.

£400 per week is still not a lot of dosh for doin the hrs that drivers do well, maybe b4 the wtd, but still aint much dosh esp with the cost of living.

If I was still in business Scanny77, I would have gladly given you a job for £23000 Pa and a new Scanny to go with it :laughing:

peirre:
Opinions please

Thursday I went for a interview for a class 1 driver, it was a new set up, brand new warehouse etc, doing intersite trunking (4+ sites - 6k pallet capacity overall) with wag+drag
I quite liked the idea of that position until the details became apparent.
45 hours per week (though generally working less)
£7 per hour :unamused:
23 days holiday + stats (not worked)
4% contributory pension etc
sickness @ SSP

working Mon-Fri start times 03:00-05:00, and possible finished by noon

£7 x 45hrs = £315p/w X52 weeks = £16380 per Year :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

however, there is little or no overtime payments or prospects (only the occasional saturday morning which are paid @ x 1.5)
their idea is that maybe you`ll work 47hrs 1 week, then maybe finish early & work only 43hrs another week suposably balancing out :unamused:

Should i bother returing the forms they asked my to fill out and return?

jobcentreplus.gov.uk/JCP/index.html