animals

That’s what bull bars were invented for, not Chelsea posers. Mind you 'roos are just as bad in Oz. Not that we would stop, but plenty of airhorn yanking and light brake dabbing (they don’t like the ‘whooshing’ noise) usually shifted them. I never hit one anyway.
Different here, in the forests at night. Daft owls sitting in the road watching you approach (I always managed to steer round them but wouldn’t anchor up). An even dafter badger that ran across the road, saw me coming, and instead of continueing in safety, turned right and tried to outrun me. Sickening thud :cry: .

I was on the way back from Aberdeen one night when a brand new ■■■■■■ came past me.

About five minutes down the road the ■■■■■■ was in the central reservation all smashed up.
I stopped to help and he said he had swerved to avoid a rabbit.
I bet he will never do that again.

Although he did say it was a hire car so he wasn’t too bothered.

I was on the way back from Aberdeen one night when a brand new ■■■■■■ came past me.

About five minutes down the road the ■■■■■■ was in the central reservation all smashed up.
I stopped to help and he said he had swerved to avoid a rabbit.
I bet he will never do that again.

Although he did say it was a hire car so he wasn’t too bothered.

A good few years back i had an Astra GTE and was hacking round the dark back lanes on the way to work, i hit a fox at about 90ish. The mess it made of the car was unreal. Bumper,Radiator, Fog Lights, Exhaust Downpipe, th elist goes on… I never knew a fox could/would do so much damage. I drove a lot slower to work after that.

I hit a Pheasant on the way to work one morning, just as i came of the brow of a hill (which i always sound my horn on) it shot out at the last second. I was in a mini, so it took out the front number plate. I would have probably take the grille out if it had been higher.

A few weeks later about a mile down the same road i had another one fly into the mirror on the Sprinter i was driving, no damage to the van but red stuff and brain matter all down the side of the van, have to say i felt a bit sick looking at it every few seconds :unamused:

If an animal runs out in front of me I wiil do what I can to avoid hitting it if possible

My sentiments exactly. I always keep a sharp lookout for anything in the road and would always try and brake if an animal was in front of me. But I would never consider swerving, as trucks just dont seem to be built for that sort of maneouver.
As for suggesting that people are more important - I reckon it depends on the person.
Now if my Ex happened to be crossing the road in the dark wearing dark clothing…
Erm - where was that brake pedal again■■? :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

yeah but hitting such a big ‘animal’ would cause a fair bit of damage. Would he be worth it? :laughing:

Oh, YES!!!
I can just imagine the satisfying ‘thud’ on collision followed by the wonderfully squishy bit …
but I must not dream so - wishful thinking.
.I would only have to pick it all out of the treads later I suppose… :unamused: .

The young couple in the car that the truck went into are very lucky to be alive, it took some time to release them from their car, I spoke to the girls father today and he tells me she is making progress, as is her boyfriend who was her passenger in the car. The truck driver has taken full responsibility he told me. This accident could have been a bigger disaster if the girl had died as she is my friends only child. I know we are told not to swerve for stray animals etc but it’s a natural instinct after all. Its nice to know the girls father has taken it well, he has his girl and as he said she can soon get a new car.

Danneke