Agencies/Dodgey companies

peirre:
Even working on agy with the best/worst companies, I’d like to point out that the Xmas rush is almost over, and the bleak season is ahead of us, and the knobs sat in the agency office are soon going to start cherry picking drivers who will do the crappy jobs & leaving others sat at home.
Sometimes there are times you have to bite your tongue and drive the (albeit legal) rust buckets as the big shiney fleets start cutting back on how many agy drivers they use.

What makes you think they’ll be any crappy work in January? - Surely there will either be enough work generally, or not enough. Good or crappy jobs don’t come into it, since the entire agency’s job load is going to consist of the same regular jobs, just in smaller quantity.

I don’t anticipate being asked to drive livestock in January for example… I might get asked to do a shunting duty on the other hand, but the latter duty is always on the books, just not normally done by me, 'cos I dislike it. :wink:

Winseer:

peirre:
Even working on agy with the best/worst companies, I’d like to point out that the Xmas rush is almost over, and the bleak season is ahead of us, and the knobs sat in the agency office are soon going to start cherry picking drivers who will do the crappy jobs & leaving others sat at home.
Sometimes there are times you have to bite your tongue and drive the (albeit legal) rust buckets as the big shiney fleets start cutting back on how many agy drivers they use.

What makes you think they’ll be any crappy work in January? - Surely there will either be enough work generally, or not enough. Good or crappy jobs don’t come into it, since the entire agency’s job load is going to consist of the same regular jobs, just in smaller quantity.

I think Pierre means that the Prima Donna’s who pick and choose what they will do (plum stuff) and won’t do (crappy stuff) when things are busy will find payback a bitter pill in January.

Juddian:

Winseer:

peirre:

I think Pierre means that the Prima Donna’s who pick and choose what they will do (plum stuff) and won’t do (crappy stuff) when things are busy will find payback a bitter pill in January.

Yeah. Be nice to them or you’ll get no work when its quiet… :frowning:

Hmm. Funny enough it’s more likely to end up with “We took your job away from you, because Fred Bloggs can ONLY work at so-and-so’s yard, whereas you are Mr Flexible that can work anywhere, so we’ve put you on the back burner for something else, which then doesn’t turn up until the start of February. Sorry bud.”

This applies to the drivers that are “senior” to me in some way. As I’ve always maintained, at 48, I’m still “The Boy” now as I always was when it comes to “planning my hours” - and having things not go according to my plans…

If you ever accept totally crappy work during the busy months, then you’ll find yourself relegated to that all the time - and you might STILL not get it in January, because there’s someone else senior to you who got one of the 3 blocks of shifts going first… Ie. You are “4th in pecking order” in this example.

I only expect to be working in January if there’s enough work to go around - not because someone ‘above’ me has “turned the work down”. Let’s be realistic here.

On a more positive note, we are told in the news that employment is rising fast - and as agency, I don’t really care if such work is “full time” or “zero hours” based. There’ll be less call for the old “Times are 'ard” argument in the future I’m guessing from now on… :slight_smile:

Winseer:
Hmm. Funny enough it’s more likely to end up with “We took your job away from you, because Fred Bloggs can ONLY work at so-and-so’s yard, whereas you are Mr Flexible that can work anywhere, so we’ve put you on the back burner for something else, which then doesn’t turn up until the start of February. Sorry bud.”

If you ever accept totally crappy work during the busy months, then you’ll find yourself relegated to that all the time -

I noticed that,used to happen to me …Then I learned

When I was on agency I never cared what the truck looked like from the outside. Sure, I wouldn’t drive it if it was illegal in some way, and I would not get in it if it stunk or was full of rubbish.

My personal experience was that by turning up on time looking smart; by doing the job with minimum fuss, and doing my best to get their paperwork right, I would get asked back by customers. Once that started to happen, the good work started to come my way, and I felt that I could safely let the agency know that I preferred not to be sent to Dodgytrucks Ltd.

Santa:
My personal experience was that by turning up on time looking smart; by doing the job with minimum fuss, and doing my best to get their paperwork right, I would get asked back by customers. Once that started to happen, the good work started to come my way, and I felt that I could safely let the agency know that I preferred not to be sent to Dodgytrucks Ltd.

Yep, same here. Then halfway through the contract with The Nice Company Ltd I managed to walk into a full time job. That was when the agency found out that the ‘can’t work tomorrow’ cuts both ways although tbh I did actually say ‘can’t work next week’ and gave them 2 days notice than the usual 15 minutes notice with them…

Gotta keep my nose clean here. It also is a nice job :wink: