ADR on tow.

emmerson2:
I changed my Calor gas 46kg cylinder, and got a mate to fetch it home for me on his builder’s truck. We’ve done it before, but reading this thread, it appears that it’s illegal. is that right?

I would assume that would probably come under limited qualities but I would be gladly corrected if I’m wrong.

Sent from Platform 9 3/4

Bking:
Yes last Adr "course " I went on really taught the rookies about the reality of blowing a tank,about the problems of blowing a gas tank too fast,about the most important things if your going to run a tank.

All I can say is that the course has to meet the standards set down in the syllabus, so you can argue all you like with the DfT about the rights and wrongs of the syllabus because the syllabus comes from the DfT.

As with anything else, we all have an opinion though. :smiley:

Bking:
And you know why? because the nearest these “experts” have been to a tank is a picture on a computer.

Oh really?
If you knew anything at all about the requirements, you wouldn’t have written that. :wink:
I see that you haven’t lost the ability to spout more hot air than you claim to have heard on your course. :laughing: :laughing: :grimacing:

Bking:
But these"experts" bought themselves a bit of paper that qualifies them to “teach” you (at a price) to be allowed to do a job these shysters know jack [zb] about.

Now there you go again, a seemingly inexhaustible supply of yet more hot air from the master. :smiley:

Apart from the piece of paper that you’re only partly correct about, there are other criteria that an ADR instructor has to meet before they get approved by SQA.

1.) They have to be ex-industry, including tanker experience if they are applying to teach the tanks module.
2.) They have to be able to demonstrate an adequate knowledge of the ADR Regs.

Now for the part where I might agree with you… (did I write that?) … I’ve heard that some ADR instructors have been known to flesh out parts of the course that they’re weak on by inventing some stories. In my experience, I’d say that’s mostly to do with the tanker module and it’ll be because seasoned instructors believe the tanks module to be a bit longer than needed. However, as I said earlier, we have to follow the syllabus as set by the DfT. Sorry, but that’s the way of it.

The basic requirements (from the DfT) for an ADR tanks module are:
1.) A minimum of 10 X 45mins training units. (Lessons.)
2.) There must be at least one overnight break in a tanks module. (In other words, it cannot be completed in one day.)

emmerson2:
I changed my Calor gas 46kg cylinder, and got a mate to fetch it home for me on his builder’s truck. We’ve done it before, but reading this thread, it appears that it’s illegal. is that right?

No mate, that’s not illegal.

In the circumstances you describe, you builder friend could have carried 7 X 46kg cylinders, but he would need an ADR compliant fire extinguisher of not less than 2kg dry powder.

lizard:

emmerson2:

I would assume that would probably come under limited qualities but I would be gladly corrected if I’m wrong.

Sent from Platform 9 3/4

Hi again emmerson2,

You have the Limited Quantity (LQ) exemption confused with the small load exemption I’m afraid.

LQs are best thought of as the kind of dangerous goods that you can buy in a retail shop, AND when packaged in a form and amount per package that you can buy in a retail shop.

The small load exemption varies and depends on the severity of danger presented by the dangerous goods concerned and is to be used when the dangerous goods are NOT packaged as LQs, for example, gas cylinders, drums, jerricans, boxes or IBCs

:bulb: The small load exemption for a flammable gas carried in cylinders (such as propane/butane) is 333Ltrs/Kgs.

Those two exemptions are used in completely different circumstances, and I can tell you for sure that a 46kg gas cylinder is definitely NOT an LQ.

I hope that’s sorted the differences in the two exemptions for you. :smiley:

chester1:
I sat an ADR the other week funnily enough this subject came up and according to the guy who gave the course the tow truck driver now needs his own ADR a recent change I’m sure he said . And should have shown an orange plate also on the front of his truck

Hi chester1,

The guy who gave the course was quite correct, but the part that needs clarifying is that is has been the case for a number of years, so it couldn’t really be described as a new requirement.

dieseldave:

chester1:
I sat an ADR the other week funnily enough this subject came up and according to the guy who gave the course the tow truck driver now needs his own ADR a recent change I’m sure he said . And should have shown an orange plate also on the front of his truck

Hi chester1,

The guy who gave the course was quite correct, but the part that needs clarifying is that is has been the case for a number of years, so it couldn’t really be described as a new requirement.

Thanks diesel Dave I’m sure when he said recent I think he meant since I last sat an adr about 10 years ago lol. BTW an awful lot has changed in that time so I’m glad I put myself through it again

So in summary, recovery driver does not need adr if recovering to nearest safe place with no adr driver present, but if adr driver present or recovery driver has adr then can recover vehicle to wherever they like!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boris1971:
So in summary, recovery driver does not need adr if recovering to nearest safe place with no adr driver present, but if adr driver present or recovery driver has adr then can recover vehicle to wherever they like!

Not quite a fair summary mate, and that’s because of the quote from ADR mentioning the emergency services in my very first post on this topic above.