Accident hgv 2 dead

kevmac47:

Own Account Driver:
From what I gather he was working as a fitter in the day and driving at night for the same firm. Unless there was a conspiracy lower down to keep senior management unaware this was going on I struggle to see how they will not be looking at custodial sentences also.

VOSA will investigate all records for all drivers going back years so it may take a while to come to court.

There is someone on the owners forum that is running a courier van business at weekends and truck driving all week. In fairness to employers it is not really possible to ensure drivers are not working elsewhere when they should be resting.

I do not really have any time for the bloke but I must confess reading about it the thought did run through my mind that you have two wealthy hedge fund managers enjoying a bike ride for charity that get mown down by someone on a low income working two jobs that falls asleep at the wheel.

WTF has the VICTIMS bank balance, and social status got to do with them being mown down by an idiot who should have known better than to keep driving when he was exhausted? I hope the families of the dead don’t read this thread,they have enough to cope with.

I just made a statement of facts and didn’t really add any moral judgement and certainly did not imply either they deserved to die because they are rich. I’m afraid it is a truism throughout the world that the bigger the disparity in incomes the bigger the risks to personal safety throughout society including those at the top.

It is a fact that in many parts of the country drivers wages are insufficient to buy a home and provide for their families. It greatly increases the probability the drivers will work excessively to the point of fatigue. Although some will just be greedy spend thrifts and the like it is a very common theme with serious drivers hours offences that they are struggling to make ends meet.

Ultimately, though, as far as I’m concerned I’m perfectly happy with a throwaway the key job for the ■■■■ driving but my philiosphy is to address the problems before they happen rather than using punishment as a deterrent after something has.

Denis F:

damoq:

Denis F:

Own Account Driver:
From what I gather he was working as a fitter in the day and driving at night for the same firm. Unless there was a conspiracy lower down to keep senior management unaware this was going on I struggle to see how they will not be looking at custodial sentences also.

I don’t think it was the same firm

According to this article, Lidl delivery driver who killed two Land's End-John O'Groats charity cyclists after falling asleep at the wheel is jailed for eight years  | Daily Mail Online it seems it was the same company.

Don’t believe everything you read in the daily mail :wink:

Anything to back that up with :question:

I’m with Own Account Driver, a perfectly valid observation. I don’t see any malice intended.

A moment of lack of concentration resulted in this tragic event.Going to prison will not bring back the ones who died.

I know a lad who’s driving 7 1/2 ton taco’d for a firm in the week, delivering clothes to stores… then on the weekend he goes on a non tacho 7 1/2 ton cash in hand doing recovery work for a local bodyshop! :imp: :imp:

ive told him again and again… but he’s just too greedy to care!! when i last saw him he was bragging he had done 9 weeks straight without a break! FFS!!!

B…

Bungle666:
I know a lad who’s driving 7 1/2 ton taco’d for a firm in the week, delivering clothes to stores… then on the weekend he goes on a non tacho 7 1/2 ton cash in hand doing recovery work for a local bodyshop! :imp: :imp:

ive told him again and again… but he’s just too greedy to care!! when i last saw him he was bragging he had done 9 weeks straight without a break! FFS!!!

B…

Not a goody goody ner ner mayself so that kinea think dont bother me though
And is a long world away from working 21hrs a day every day with no sleep
most especially when operating very heavy machinery in a populated area
And only to mow them down dead and return to the depot like nothing had happened is beyond beggars belief
Yes I read the story from the link in the daily rag
I just cant see how a human being can be so unconscientious in a profession that requires such a high level of responsibility

There was a little joke somewhere at the top of the tread about how a hard working man carrying out his duties ran over to hedge fund men on a jolly
Well all I can say is “shame it where not a couple of politicians doing a PR stunt of behalf of VOSA”

Boss & Driver:

Bungle666:

B…

Not a goody goody ner ner mayself so that kinea think dont bother me though
And is a long world away from working 21hrs a day every day with no sleep
most especially when operating very heavy machinery in a populated area
And only to mow them down dead and return to the depot like nothing had happened is beyond beggars belief
Yes I read the story from the link in the daily rag
I just cant see how a human being can be so unconscientious in a profession that requires such a high level of responsibility

There was a little joke somewhere at the top of the tread about how a hard working man carrying out his duties ran over to hedge fund men on a jolly
Well all I can say is “shame it where not a couple of politicians doing a PR stunt of behalf of VOSA”

Ok, I know you’re, let’s say a bit special, but it certainly was not a joke.

It was just a statement of the facts and observation that everyone in society needs to be able to earn a living and provide food and shelter for their families or it has ramifications for everyone.

In Brazil, there is a massive problem with violent theft, this is because there is massive poverty. If someone wealthy gets stabbed to death during a car-jacking they certainly did not deserve to get stabbed to death because they had a desirable car but, you will not solve the problem without acknowledging the need to eliminate the poverty which is the cause.

No-one would pretend things are not already out of whack in this country and the more they get out of whack the more we head towards Brazil.

As it happens I do have a bit of a problem with well off folks doing charity bike rides and the like. I do feel it has a significant bit of a ‘look at me and how charitable I am’. In respect of this bike ride it wasn’t a trip that needed making and if they genuinely feel they want to give something back and do something for charity they could have just made an anonymous donation and spent the time they would have spent cycling mucking in voluntarily at the local hospice.

Own Account Driver:
Ok, I know you’re, let’s say a bit special, but it certainly was not a joke.

It was just a statement of the facts and observation that everyone in society needs to be able to earn a living and provide food and shelter for their families or it has ramifications for everyone.

In Brazil, there is a massive problem with violent theft, this is because there is massive poverty. If someone wealthy gets stabbed to death during a car-jacking they certainly did not deserve to get stabbed to death because they had a desirable car but, you will not solve the problem without acknowledging the need to eliminate the poverty which is the cause.

No-one would pretend things are not already out of whack in this country and the more they get out of whack the more we head towards Brazil.

As it happens I do have a bit of a problem with well off folks doing charity bike rides and the like. I do feel it has a significant bit of a ‘look at me and how charitable I am’. In respect of this bike ride it wasn’t a trip that needed making and if they genuinely feel they want to give something back and do something for charity they could have just made an anonymous donation and spent the time they would have spent cycling mucking in voluntarily at the local hospice.

It was A joke posted by the above poster and probably went a wee bit far like my response
But I would certainly not wish death upon these two hard working men
A politician or a VOSA officer, that is another matter

Reading some of your earlier post and speaking to someone the other day about driverless cars, now makes me agree; we have met; Burton on Trent and Rugby, how did you find the CPC
One man cant make a difference but he can have a bloody good try :wink:

How do we remove the poverty in this country= by removing the politicians :smiling_imp:

Own Account Driver:

Do you have a problem with me on a moderate income doing john’0’groats next year?

I raised £2000 last weekend for children in need, yet you won’t hear or see it on any forum or social media.

I on a expedition to conquer a great mountain these next weeks, Iam probably the lowest income person on the expedition, it may even involve some hedge fund managers :unamused:

Ownaccountdriver seems a little bitter, we’ve all got choices in life, some people have made better choices than us in haulage. Deal with it, or perhaps try and change your cards.

chester:

Own Account Driver:

Do you have a problem with me on a moderate income doing john’0’groats next year?

I raised £2000 last weekend for children in need, yet you won’t hear or see it on any forum or social media.

I on a expedition to conquer a great mountain these next weeks, Iam probably the lowest income person on the expedition, it may even involve some hedge fund managers :unamused:

Ownaccountdriver seems a little bitter, we’ve all got choices in life, some people have made better choices than us in haulage. Deal with it, or perhaps try and change your cards.

Are you the ghost of Jimmy Savile?

Feel free to give your own money or own time to what you consider good causes and it’s fine to promote and encourage giving to charities either you or those close to you have received excellent support from. Otherwise it’s just personal vanity with a ‘think of the children’ camouflage which gives you an excuse to tell everyone about something without looking like it’s bragging.

Just because I’m being critical of income disparity in this country you shouldn’t take that as any indication of where I am on the scale. I might give to charity myself, I might not, but if I do I don’t make a song and dance about it or go sky diving or other stuff I wanted to do anyway or want to make other people think I’m a good charitable person.

Bit of a random comment!

Comparing me to Jimmy Savile :unamused:

Own Account Driver:

chester:

Own Account Driver:

Feel free to give your own money or own time to what you consider good causes and it’s fine to promote and encourage giving to charities either you or those close to you have received excellent support from. Otherwise it’s just personal vanity with a ‘think of the children’ camouflage which gives you an excuse to tell everyone about something without looking like it’s bragging.

Just because I’m being critical of income disparity in this country you shouldn’t take that as any indication of where I am on the scale. I might give to charity myself, I might not, but if I do I don’t make a song and dance about it or go sky diving or other stuff I wanted to do anyway or want to make other people think I’m a good charitable person.

Why do you state in your opening sentence that you have a problem with “well off folks”
Nasty thing is that jealously monster.

chester:
Bit of a random comment!

You have stated you have issues with wealthy people doing things for charity, Iam mearly questioning what price do you find charity acceptable.
I just find it odd how somebody berates people doing good.

The point is wealthy people don’t ever seem to do hands on (except Jimmy Savile and we all know that was literally the case). Let’s take Savile as a prime example it’s a public spectacle of look how charitable I’m being but it isn’t it’s just self-serving and a smokescreen they hope will distract people from realising they are in fact not a nice person.

Savile cared so much about the poor sick kids but he still lived in a penthouse and always drove a Rolls Royce and the money he ‘gave’ to charity was always other people’s.

There are loads of genuinely selfless giving people out there who foster kids do voluntary work and all sorts of other stuff but they don’t go around advertising it or getting other people to sponsor what is effectively their cycling hobby.

Things like drivers giving up their weekends to shift a load of food aid to a port or the truckers convoy taking sick kids to the seaside is great and genuine charity. Doing stuff like bike rides and mountain climbing, which were hobbies you were going to do anyway, and getting other people to give their money to a charity of your choosing is not the same thing in my view, sorry.

chester:

Own Account Driver:

chester:

Own Account Driver:

Why do you state in your opening sentence that you have a problem with “well off folks”
Nasty thing is that jealously monster.

Nothing to do with jealousy, how do you know how well off I am?

As in the above post well-off folks shouldn’t be asking other folks to donate to charities they support they can do so themselves if they wish. Look at Children In Need people like Jonathan Ross and Graham Norton are on salaries of millions they’re well off it’s a total ■■■■ take.

Own Account Driver:

chester:
Bit of a random comment!

You have stated you have issues with wealthy people doing things for charity, Iam mearly questioning what price do you find charity acceptable.

The point is wealthy people don’t ever seem to do hands on (except Jimmy Savile and we all know that was literally the case). Let’s take Savile as a prime example it’s a public spectacle of look how charitable I’m being but it isn’t it’s just self-serving and a smokescreen they hope will distract people from realising they are in fact not a nice person.

Savile cared so much about the poor sick kids but he still lived in a penthouse and always drove a Rolls Royce and the money he ‘gave’ to charity was always other people’s.

There are loads of genuinely selfless giving people out there who foster kids do voluntary work and all sorts of other stuff but they don’t go around advertising it or getting other people to sponsor what is effectively their hobby.

Things like drivers giving up their weekends to shift a load of food aid to a port or the truckers convoy taking sick kids to the seaside is great and genuine charity. Doing stuff like bike rides and mountain climbing, which were hobbies you were going to do anyway, and getting other people to give their money to a charity of your choosing is not the same thing in my view, sorry.

The two cyclists in Cornwall who were mown down by a truck weren’t doing it for publicity, the only reason you know about it is because a truck killed them.
If they had rode end to end with no issues you would have been non the wiser!

They could have been milkmen or hedgefund managers it makes ditto difference.

chester:

Own Account Driver:

chester:
Bit of a random comment!

There are loads of genuinely selfless giving people out there who foster kids do voluntary work and all sorts of other stuff but they don’t go around advertising it or getting other people to sponsor what is effectively their hobby.

The two cyclists in Cornwall who were mown down by a truck weren’t doing it for publicity, the only reason you know about it is because a truck killed them.
If they had rode end to end with no issues you would have been non the wiser!

They could have been milkmen or hedgefund managers it makes ditto difference.

Everyone at work and on their social network would have known about it.

Milkmen couldn’t afford to have just made a large donation to charity and kept quiet about it.

So you agree that truckers can publicly promote charity but wealthy people can’t.
Truckers doing charity is good and no one else can do good.

Shaking head in disbelief :confused:

Own account driver wrote

So you can raise charity funds sat on your arse behind a wheel of a truck.
Basicly doing what you do during the week anyhow :unamused:
Hell fire you guys know how to push the boundaries :wink:

Although you don’t accept folks who take a actual physical/mental challenge a charitable contribution.

Got to love this forum PMSL

chester:

Although you don’t accept folks who take a actual physical/mental challenge a charitable contribution.

You’re not ■■■■■■■ yourself laughing you’re ■■■■■■ because you’re rumbled.

They aren’t primarily raising funds they are doing genuine charitable work themselves rather than just doing their hobbies and getting other people to actually do the donating of their hard-earned.

Own Account Driver:

chester:

You’re not ■■■■■■■ yourself laughing you’re ■■■■■■ because you’re rumbled.

They aren’t primarily raising funds they are doing genuine charitable work themselves rather than just doing their hobbies and getting other people to actually do the donating of their hard-earned.

Just interested why this thread ain’t got legs? :unamused: