A66 speed

Marty B7:
Here we go again , the great single carriageway speed debate !

40 is the Maximum , not a minimum .

No wonder some of you’se are always moaning about rates of pay , you are your own worst enemies IMO.

If some drivers cant drive at the legal speed limit without falling asleep ,
then I suggest they get out the industry and get a job stacking shelves in ASDA.

You never know , it might be a better rate of pay than the peanuts some are breaking the law for :wink:

I suppose it depends if your on trip money or genuine hourly rate.

Why is the A66 any different from any other road ?. I don’t use it very often but stick to the speed limit when I do, be it forty or fifty.

pavaroti:

Marty B7:
Here we go again , the great single carriageway speed debate !

40 is the Maximum , not a minimum .

No wonder some of you’se are always moaning about rates of pay , you are your own worst enemies IMO.

If some drivers cant drive at the legal speed limit without falling asleep ,
then I suggest they get out the industry and get a job stacking shelves in ASDA.

You never know , it might be a better rate of pay than the peanuts some are breaking the law for :wink:

I suppose it depends if your on trip money or genuine hourly rate.

Yes, if you tell the copper who pulls you over that you’re on trip rate, he’ll let you off …

I’ve seen artics doing 60-70 mph where possible on the A66

IMO what happens is that the LGV driver on a SC in a NSL sees that it is safe to go faster and then gets frustrated about having to do 40 max so it plays on their mind and they turn that into boredom and other forms of weird thinking

Those drivers simply cannot get their brain around accepting it like most of us can - perhaps we should feel sorry for them in some way ?

I’ll bet the same drivers feel bored at doing 56 on a 60 limit motorway

ROG:
I’ll bet the same drivers feel bored at doing 56 on a 60 limit motorway

yes, that really does bore the ■■■■ off me, it was much better when you could nip up to 65 to get past a couple of slow ones

and to all the dogooders on here, the op asked a question and i gave an honest answer on what speed i would do if conditions allowed, but as usual its turned into a free for all on who knows best,
if you want to do 40 then fine i,m not complaining, if i want to do 50 then i will and if i get a ticket then theres nobody to blame but myself,
Rog i,m disappointed you would try to argue the point that because i choose to do 50 on a single carriageway it means i would speed in a 30 :unamused: driving through the countryrside at 10mph over the limit is one thing but i would never do it in a built up area

ThrustMaster:

chaversdad:

ROG:

chaversdad:
If im totally honest i would be doing 50ish on the single bit and flat out on the dual

Why? … especially when you are risking your licence

Honestly? Because i would have found hard to tip and reload Glasgow and get back sitting at the proper limit, im not condoning speeding just giving an honest answer

And 40mph would send me to sleep

So how did you manage to pass your test without falling asleep?

Behave yourself man I can see no problem with driving as speeds appropriate to the road / weather conditions , yes I have no problem with going a little quicker where conditions permit and I’m causing no danger to other road users , before anyone quips I am of course not referring to built up areas, example 30 or 40 mph areas towns and villages , so in short common sense and due diligence.

chaversdad:

ROG:

chaversdad:
If im totally honest i would be doing 50ish on the single bit and flat out on the dual

Honestly? Because i would have found hard to tip and reload Glasgow and get back sitting at the proper limit, im not condoning speeding just giving an honest answer

:smiling_imp: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

JLS Driver SOS:

ThrustMaster:

chaversdad:

ROG:

chaversdad:

So how did you manage to pass your test without falling asleep?

Probably because he didn’t have to drive all the way to Glasgow on his test

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Flat out for me , can’t get signal on my tv on dashboard on A66 so need to get back to A1 / M6 sharp ish :laughing:

On a serious note I’ll admit to doing 45/50 but I’ll hold the 50 on DC so other wagons can get by . I love the A66 one of best roads IMO but 40 feels too slow in some parts.
Not saying speedings right but the guy asked a question n again the Do Gooders are out to play

On the limiter the whole way if poss,off the clock down the hilly bits ! :laughing:

chaversdad:
Rog i,m disappointed you would try to argue the point that because i choose to do 50 on a single carriageway it means i would speed in a 30 :unamused: driving through the countryrside at 10mph over the limit is one thing but i would never do it in a built up area

I did not say you would - I was asking if you got bored doing that

Its all to do with the way someone thinks and that was the point I was making

drivergraham:

Lucy:

chaversdad:

:blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

What speed do you do Lucy

About the same, hence the :blush: :blush: :blush: -ing faces. :wink:

Ps. I genuinely believe 40mph on that road - and many other similar roads eg. A1 - is bloody dangerous. Too many frustrated suicide merchants for me. Scares me witless. Bear in mind as well that I can’t wear a seatbelt, so safety is probably higher in my mind than those who can or who choose not to - I dearly wish I could.

I’ve been over both ways today and I do exactly 40 on s/c and 50 on d/c. I get paid a very good hourly rate so don’t see the point of breaking the law to reduce my income. I did though get overtaken by a tipper near Warcop today on s/c.

I upset even more people when I have to go from Penrith to Hexham on the A69, I’ve been sworn at by fellow lorry drivers for doing 40 on there.

Do 40 and check the mirrors and count how many trucks are behind you :smiley:

Judehamish:
I’ve been over both ways today and I do exactly 40 on s/c and 50 on d/c. I get paid a very good hourly rate so don’t see the point of breaking the law to reduce my income. I did though get overtaken by a tipper near Warcop today on s/c.

I upset even more people when I have to go from Penrith to Hexham on the A69, I’ve been sworn at by fellow lorry drivers for doing 40 on there.

This is the problem.

You have people like the above who its not in their best interests to break any limits so take full advantage of the situation and those who get paid by the load or mile. Add the fact cars vans and bikes all have different speed thresholds and it all adds up to a potential deadly cocktail of hold ups, risk taking and frustration.

GOG47:
On the limiter the whole way if poss,off the clock down the hilly bits ! :laughing:

+1

happysack:

GOG47:

+1

+2

+1,234,567 other licence holders who aren’t dogooders or Irish! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: drive to the conditions. Mmtm :sunglasses: