A556

shuttlespanker:

Scanner:
How can a dual carriageway (parts of the A40 near London for example) be called dual if it has three lanes each way?

I take it you didn’t read the whole thread then :unamused:

I just scanned over it really, it’s not that important to me but I’m pleased to have learned something.

I apologise for any inconvenience caused and wish you a pleasant journey.

ThrustMaster:
What about the DC on the A69 at Greenhead? It has a physical barrier between the two carriageways but is still a 60 for cars and therefore, 40 for us. it would be a brave or foolish man to go past the speed camera on the East side at 50mph.
]

Why do you think it’s "40 for us " because its “60 for cars” ?

A dual with a 50 limit means a 50 limit for cars and lorries

A maximum speed limit is set for each type of vehicle and that is only lower if the signage is set lower than that maximum so for LGVs over 7.5 a dual must be signed lower than 50 for the limit to be lower than 50

Denis F:

ThrustMaster:
What about the DC on the A69 at Greenhead? It has a physical barrier between the two carriageways but is still a 60 for cars and therefore, 40 for us. it would be a brave or foolish man to go past the speed camera on the East side at 50mph.
]

Beacuse n= -10 mph

ThrustMaster:

Denis F:

ThrustMaster:
]

Beacuse n= -10 mph

And they question why the DCPC was introduced…

So the speed limit for cars and motorcyclists has been reduced by 10mph but the speed limits for everyone else, trucks, vans, cars towing…remains the same?

Roymondo:
And they question why the DCPC was introduced…

Proof, as if it were needed, that there is no such thing as a stupid question…just stupid answers.

ThrustMaster:
So the speed limit for cars and motorcyclists has been reduced by 10mph but the speed limits for everyone else, trucks, vans, cars towing…remains the same?

So where is the signage to indicate all these changes in the enforced limits?

You will not see any other changes because there are none s

Know how the law works is the key to knowing what changes and when

If a dual has a 60 limit posted then that reduces all those that could legally go more if the limit was not there but it does not reduce the limit for those who already have a limit at or below the posted one

What the law says is that a 60 limit is the most any vehicle can do but those with a lower limit for that type of road must not exceed that lower limit
It does not change the lower limit requirements for those with a lower limit - if they wanted the law to do that then it must be written into law so the question is … where is it written into law than others with lower limits must reduce by the same amount as those subjected to a higher limit ?

Laws are made which tells either to do or not to do something so if it aint there then it aint law

You don’t need signage - you are a professional driver and should know the speed limits and how they apply to your vehicle!

ThrustMaster:

Yes, because despite the lowered speed limit it remains a dual carriageway .There are plenty of DC’s that have a 50mph limit that does not mean that HGV’s have to do 40mph

Oh - and if you apply your logic to signposted 40mph dual carriageways, the limit for trucks there would be 20mph…

I don’t claim to be Mr. Know-it-all, so the site owners better get rid of this part of the site

viewforum.php?f=7

ThrustMaster:
I don’t claim to be Mr. Know-it-all, so the site owners better get rid of this part of the site

viewforum.php?f=7

Why ?

It’s not about claiming to know everything. This is a discussion forum - where people discuss things. If someone states something as a fact which you know to be incorrect, then you correct it (which is what I did) or you query why the OP thought it to be true (which is what someone else did). Then if the misinformation continues, you discuss it with the expectation that one party or the other will realise they have the wrong end of the stick and say " :bulb: Aha - I understand it now!" then we can all go away happy :grimacing:

Nobody knows everything

stating something is a fact when its not is always going to get challenged, often quite harshly, so perhaps asking a question or saying ‘I think’ or similar is a better way to proceed