A job or a lifestyle

robroy:

Quinny:
Been in the game since I was 11

Ken.

:open_mouth: Did you leave the chimney sweep game to start.

Just found a pic of you btw. :smiley:

Nah, this is the one.

It’s very much a job to me. I turn up, grab the keys and go, get back to the yard later in the day and pretty much dive straight in the car & i’m gone. I have good banter with some of the other drivers, usually when I bump into them at drops or over the phone, but i’d never want to extend that ‘camaraderie’ into the evenings over being at home in my own bed with the missus & don’t understand the logic of the people that do unless a) they are on a mission to earn a load of money or b) are single. I know a lot of guys that tramp and avoid going homes at all costs with neither those things being the case.

Each to their own though, not judging.

PMSL. :laughing:

Tickled me that.

Ken.

Considering I have no time for a life, its just a job. It has its good points but its time to train for something new

Definitely more than just a job, was something I specifically left the army to do and 31 years down the line no big regrets. As we all know plenty of moaners and winghers, where isn’t, but most of lads I’ve had pleasure if working with over the years have been ace. If it was a case of hating going into the tin box for yet another week I’d have packed up a long time ago. Also am reminded on a daily basis the kind of life warehouse and dock type workers have, well each to their own I suppose. Keep on trucking!

Left the military after injury falling from a helicopter and just as i saw that career driving is a lifestyle but only see it from that point of view due to where i drive in europe (Spain/Portugal/France) but would see it differently if i was stuck in the UK i think…

scanny77:
Considering I have no time for a life, its just a job. It has its good points but its time to train for something new

If you have no time for a life then by default it becomes a lifestyle.

Its tragic when you hear of the old guys having spent 40 odd years + tramping. All that life wasted - as someone said, its more a sentence but its one you get stuck into and hard to escape. Bit of an enjoyable rut.

Must be a way of life ,I keep my lorry behind my house just like 3 generations before me did .

Punchy Dan:
Must be a way of life ,I keep my lorry behind my house just like 3 generations before me did .

Do neighbours not complain?

ajt:

scanny77:

If you have no time for a life then by default it becomes a lifestyle.

Its tragic when you hear of the old guys having spent 40 odd years + tramping. All that life wasted - as someone said, its more a sentence but its one you get stuck into and hard to escape. Bit of an enjoyable rut.

I call it a mere existence which is simply no longer acceptable

When I was doing long-haul work to far-flung places, it was definitely a lifestyle choice. I was geared up to living in the wagon, hammering off to Asia and Africa whilst using my home in UK as an occasional hotel. It was a way of life, and like ‘Hutpic’ who posted above, I now regard that past experience as an adventure, a privilege and a lucky opportunity. I certainly wouldn’t have missed it for anything! Robert