Best SatNav for starter and Pro Drivers

Does anybody have some info on any good Sat Nav’s for a newbie or for a Pro Driver?

I have been told that a TomTom 6250 is the way forward but it is at the top of the price bracket at £390!
Not too sure about the eBay 50 quid versions as the Government is taking a dim view of bridge strikes.

Any advice for deep, moderate or Broke pockets will be welcome…

A search of the forum will bring up plenty of advice on satnavs. Some swear by them, others don’t.
If your on a regular rotation of routes Google maps will be sufficient, as once you’ve visited two or three times you’ll have the route dialled in and you’ll only use it for ETA’s or as an aid whilst following a diversion.
If your on general haulage something more HGV specific is probably worth the investment.
The £50 eBay jobs have got a decent reputation. I personally would only consider one with live traffic updates, which Google maps does very well incidentally!

Thanks,

There are loads of various options and even though I will be doing some General Haulage work there is always the option of using the incab Microlise system, with a large pinch of salt!

I’ve always been keen on Co-Pilot - I worked for a Travis-Perkins company and they ran it on their POD’s. When I left I bought it as an App on my phone and it cost me £120 - it’s currently £85. To subscribe to the traffic service is about £8 for the year (well it was last year…). One of the best things to do for any system you buy is to keep it updated…so you don’t get caught out by ULEZs and the like…
Fully customisable - I used to drive all sorts of different vehicles and the easiest thing was to create a profile for each one using the reg. I haven’t hit a bridge yet. Does help if your phone has a large screen - I wanted to minimise having too many bits of kit obstructing the windscreen…

Manager1:
Thanks,

There are loads of various options and even though I will be doing some General Haulage work there is always the option of using the incab Microlise system, with a large pinch of salt!

Not all microlise has the sat nav on them. Ours does’nt. You’ll have to ask. If not those cheap ones are fine. Just a pain to update. If you hit a bridge. That will never be the fault of a sat nav.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I have just started driving class 1 and I can’t fault the Tomtom 6250 pro. Little expensive but it gives you live traffic updates and has built in WiFi.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

If you want something a bit cheaper opt for the Tomtom 520. Little smaller but does exactly same job. Think it is sitting around £200

It has taken me to all parts of the country and it hasn’t let me down yet. With a quick look on google maps and common sense you will be fine.

thehighlandscot:
If you want something a bit cheaper opt for the Tomtom 520. Little smaller but does exactly same job. Think it is sitting around £200

It has taken me to all parts of the country and it hasn’t let me down yet. With a quick look on google maps and common sense you will be fine.

Don’t have live traffic updates tho does it?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

It does if you connect to your phones 4G. I leave it off as it has hands free and is a pain in the neck. That’s the one thing I would fault it for. Can’t hear a thing through it.

Had a look on Argos out of curiosity and it is sitting at £200 just now with £60 off. Would highly recommend if you can stretch it.

I use one of the £30 ones it has never let me down. So far so good.

Come on UKTRAMP do your bit for CoPilot :wink:

I use a Snooper S8110

Programmable parameters that you need

Can’t fault it, graphics are a little old fashioned - but it’s not a computer game!

tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/tr … DDEALw_wcB

you can’t beat it
uses a tiny amount of data from your phone for traffic updates
uses your home WiFi to update device
tom tom used to give 20% discount to hgv drivers replacing their sat nav
worth a phone call
ten per cent discount if you subscribe to tom tom newsletters
even without the discounts , it will be the best 180 odd quid you’ve ever spent

thehighlandscot:
It does if you connect to your phones 4G. I leave it off as it has hands free and is a pain in the neck. That’s the one thing I would fault it for. Can’t hear a thing through it.

You can select what features are used over bluetooth on the sat nav and de-select hands free to keep live traffic on without connecting the phone audio to it.

I have also found you can use wifi connection to your phone as a hotspot but may use more data as the traffic info covers more of the country that way rather than the 60 mile circle around your location.