SAFED versus SAFETY

ROG:
What are your views on this… :question: :question: :question:

Hi ROG, that’s probably the easiest question you’ve ever asked on here!! :grimacing:

I was asked to take on the SAFED course by one of the providers that i work for, needless to say I gave it a glance and found that the course is exactly the right thickness to prop up my wonky table leg. :wink:

That’s what happens when you let academics loose in trucks. :smiling_imp:

'Ello, 'ello what’s all this then?

Shrek:
P.S. don’t forget to stuff a couple of pies down with yer tea :wink:

This pie shop doesn’t appear to be on my approved list. :grimacing:

Then I saw in Shrek’s signature:

Shrek:
Just nipping out for a pie or two…I might be gone a while.

I think my claim to pie expertise might pre-date yours. :smiley:
My evidence is HERE :wink: [Several mentions in the first post. :grimacing: ]

:laughing: :laughing: Experienced pie eaters know that the best and tastiest pies come with yellow stickers on them from the ‘reduced’ fridge at the supermarket. :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

HI everyone

Rog has asked a good question however the point may have been missed ■■?

SAFED is voluntary the driver CPC is not yet there will probably be no requirement
for the instructors to have more than minimum experience in driving or loading trucks, and this will be a major problem in the credibility of the driver CPC !!!

Our company has went for this in a big way , but caused a LOT of problems , we where told to pull away in FORTH high(8th !!!) in the mercs , end up killing a few clutches :blush: :blush: :blush:

annitram:
HI everyone

Rog has asked a good question however the point may have been missed ■■?

SAFED is voluntary the driver CPC is not yet there will probably be no requirement for the instructors to have more than minimum experience in driving or loading trucks, and this will be a major problem in the credibility of the driver CPC !!!

I’ve never driven outside the UK but I’m sure that if I read all the books about continental driving in LGVs, I could teach you lot how to do it…

NOT

My view is that instructors should, not only be able to teach, but to teach it from experience. IMO, an instructor should be able to demonstrate what they teach.
Ok, teaching driving law or ADR etc might be a bit different but if the task is a physical one then a demo on how to do it properly by the instructor is often required.

ROG:
My view is that instructors should, not only be able to teach, but to teach it from experience. IMO, an instructor should be able to demonstrate what they teach.

Ok, teaching driving law or ADR etc might be a bit different but if the task is a physical one then a demo on how to do it properly by the instructor is often required.

For a long time, SQA (Previously City & Guilds) have wanted ADR instructors to be ex-industry. :sunglasses:

Provable experience is required. :wink:

I agree that teachers or instructors should be ex job, but not every good driver will make a good teacher.

A good teacher has to be able to teach, without preaching.

Im afraid I couldn’t do it, I would have to take too many drugs to keep my nerves calm when someone made a mistake :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:
They should train these SAFED men up Sutton Bank :smiley:

my mate took his FH auto up, fully freighted in economy, actually, he goes eveywhere in economy.

Wheel Nut:
I use to use the bank twice a week when I first started, driving a D series witha 4 cylinder engine. It hardly had enough puff even in bottom gear :laughing:

My boss always threatened to send me over Blue Bank :stuck_out_tongue:

Done that loadsa times., but the right way loaded up it, empty down, I used to work out of Boulby, and have been out of it in every direction except East, at 38, 40, 41 and 44 Tonnes, from 290 to 460bhp, never been frightened going uphill, as I have been going down em : :open_mouth:

I am not commenting I think certain Pie Eaters know my feelings on training also some government bodies !!!

same old rubbish. written by someone who has a degree rather than an expertise in the field.

as for instructors, they are no use to anyone if they dont know what they are doing themselves. i have nothing but contempt for car driving instructors. my choice of phrase is ‘blind leading the blind’ as im sure we have all seen the low standard of driving these people display when they are without a student :imp:

… im sure we have all seen the low standard of driving these people display when they are without a student

I’ve taught advanced driving to quite a few car (& a couple of truck) instructors.
You be surprised how many people think the A in ADI stands for Advanced instead of Approved.

ROG:
You be surprised how many people think the A in ADI stands for Advanced instead of Approved.

The only thing ADI tells me is that they can charge for lessons. It says nothing about their competence even if they think it does :imp:

scanny77:
same old rubbish. written by someone who has a degree rather than an expertise in the field.

as for instructors, they are no use to anyone if they dont know what they are doing themselves. i have nothing but contempt for car driving instructors. my choice of phrase is ‘blind leading the blind’ as im sure we have all seen the low standard of driving these people display when they are without a student :imp:

I’m sure you have as I have but most drive very well. There will of course always be the idiot just like the idiot trucker. I teach learners but not many any more as I now coach qualified drivers in the art of advanced thinking. I do this and other training for blue chip companies across the UK.

It is very difficult to train car learners in todays driving conditions due to inconsiderate, impatient and dangerous, wreckless driving by the public who have seemingly forgot what they were taught ,and the problems they had when learning themselves. :wink:

im afraid my observations have shown the majority of car instructors are no better than any other car driver. their standards do not seem to be any higher which makes me wonder what the ADI actually is. does it merely mean they are trained to teach someone or does it teach them a higher standard in the first place?
i will point out the fact that my observations are for car instructors who are probably only car drivers themselves. this does not extend to other categories

scanny77:
im afraid my observations have shown the majority of car instructors are no better than any other car driver. their standards do not seem to be any higher which makes me wonder what the ADI actually is. does it merely mean they are trained to teach someone or does it teach them a higher standard in the first place?
i will point out the fact that my observations are for car instructors who are probably only car drivers themselves. this does not extend to other categories

The ADI has to pass an above learner standard test which lasts longer and includes Mways( but not always) You are allowed 6 faults, anymore and your out. You are allowed 3 attempts only. The standard required is quite high.
However once passed it is up to you to maintain the standard or better. Me being the latter. I have seen some dreadful driving by ADI’s and PDI’s, the latter tend to be the worse, as these have not completed the full qualification and are allowed to teach on what we call a pink badge.

There is alot more involved with learning to drive than years ago the average amount of lessons needed for full competence is around the 50 hour mark. These are gov figures by the way, but I tend to agree :wink:

chippy:
You are allowed 3 attempts only.

Is that 3 attempts within a certain time period?

chippy:

scanny77:

The ADI has to pass an above learner standard test which lasts longer and includes Mways( but not always) You are allowed 6 faults, anymore and your out. You are allowed 3 attempts only. The standard required is quite high.
However once passed it is up to you to maintain the standard or better. Me being the latter. I have seen some dreadful driving by ADI’s and PDI’s, the latter tend to be the worse, as these have not completed the full qualification and are allowed to teach on what we call a pink badge.

There is alot more involved with learning to drive than years ago the average amount of lessons needed for full competence is around the 50 hour mark. These are gov figures by the way, but I tend to agree :wink:

quantity doesnt mean quality though does it? for example i have never done the hazard perception test so i dont know myself what it consists of but i have seen drivers here say they failed the bike test because they identified hazards too early. how is that possible? identifying is not reacting so if you spot a hazard 300 metres in front of you it remains a hazard until you pass it. are car drivers now taught to look that far ahead now or do they still only look as far as their bonnet reaches?

scanny77:

chippy:

scanny77:

quantity doesnt mean quality though does it? for example i have never done the hazard perception test so i dont know myself what it consists of but i have seen drivers here say they failed the bike test because they identified hazards too early. how is that possible? identifying is not reacting so if you spot a hazard 300 metres in front of you it remains a hazard until you pass it. are car drivers now taught to look that far ahead now or do they still only look as far as their bonnet reaches?

Is that 3 attempts within a certain time period?

Yes

scanny77 - the problem, to which the DSA are only now trying to remedy, is that car learners are taught rules and controls - they are not given the time for the ‘thinking’ bit.
Soon, i hope, the schools will start theory and discussion groups on driving from at least as early as 15 - this is being proposed by the DSA.
The idea is to develop the thinking aspects as well as the attitude ones before getting behind the wheel.