Qualitas/Sterling My experience

When you pass class C you find that the CPC course is just a book which you can buy from Amazon.

roadrebel:
When you pass class C you find that the CPC course is just a book which you can buy from Amazon.

Dont i know it I had the same when i passed my test

TruckerJoe:

roadrebel:

Dont i know it I had the same when i passed my test

was it a nice bit of easy bedtime reading followed by a little tick box test :question: :question: :unamused: :wink:

When the time comes for the C training, is there anything i need/to take with me other then my person?

Things such as Steel TC boots?
Jacket
etc etc

Also do i need a digi card or anything? Probably sounds really newbie-ish but as its going to be about 2/3 hours away from home, i wanna make sure i take everything as and when the opportunity arises!

stormnation:
When the time comes for the C training, is there anything i need/to take with me other then my person?

Jacket
etc etc

Also do i need a digi card or anything? Probably sounds really newbie-ish but as its going to be about 2/3 hours away from home, i wanna make sure i take everything as and when the opportunity arises!

Just remember licence and COUNTERPART. Steel TC boots not essential yet. Don’t need a digicard. Training is exempt.

Pack a lunch or take some money for the salmonella wagon. If you need a hi-viz then they’ll lend you one.

Worry about the rest of the stuff when you do agency work.

macplaxton:

stormnation:

Jacket
etc etc

Just remember licence and COUNTERPART. Steel TC boots not essential yet. Don’t need a digicard. Training is exempt.

Pack a lunch or take some money for the salmonella wagon. If you need a hi-viz then they’ll lend you one.

Worry about the rest of the stuff when you do agency work.

Theory pass certificate for C test may be needed as some examiners like to see it - dunno why as it is on their computer system that you have passed it :confused: :confused:

Rog wrote:-
Theory pass certificate for C test may be needed as some examiners like to see it - dunno why as it is on their computer system that you have passed it

The DSA flag up some names for the examiners to check Theory Pass Certificates, bit of a random thing, for no real reason as you can’t name a test if you haven’t passed the theory!

BTW, there are no separate theory pass certificates now, just a plain white A4 sheet with an embossed bit at the top.

Thanks for the replies guy’s.

Another thing…for the people who have done a “Sterling offer”, has anybody actually done the CPC course yet? I was told by Sterling that there was a fairly high pass rate, and also told by NightFreight that even people in the industry doing the job day in day out find the exam hard and that the pass rate wasn’t quite so high as Sterling make out. I have a first choice of companies to believe(the one where they answer the phone within the first minute of calling and sat and listened to me waffle on for about 15 minutes before giving me the information i needed :wink: )

The Nightfreight lady also said that the course would be made even harder with the fact that it’s a home study course, which is why i ask for anybody who has done it…

A) Is it worth it( got from now till september to revise everything, but need work!)
B) Is it as easy as Sterling make out
C) Sterling say £70 pound for the test, but what is the real amount i need to pay

ADR questions ;-

1. Is it worth going from Preston to Essex for a week to do it?
  2. Is it easy(ish) to pass? (Dont mind knuckling down to revision whilst imm down there but dont want to go all that way to fail!)
  3. Are there any other fees that have to be paid that Sterling “forget” to mention?

Cant think of anymore questions now!

Thanks in advance!

As regards the CPC, there are lots of threads on here for you to read - mostly about how difficult it is!

The CPC examination is ‘A’ level standard and the pass rate is pretty poor according to statistics on here.

ADR is probably a lot easier - well I found it so.

I expect the ADR test fees will have to be paid extra, but i’m not sure about that.

Smart Mart:
As regards the CPC, there are lots of threads on here for you to read - mostly about how difficult it is!

The CPC examination is ‘A’ level standard and the pass rate is pretty poor according to statistics on here.

Hi Smart Mart, IMHO you’re spot-on mate. :grimacing:

Smart Mart:
ADR is probably a lot easier - well I found it so.

I expect the ADR test fees will have to be paid extra, but i’m not sure about that.

Spot-on again with this too. :wink:

ADR is a level 2 course, and all the exams are multi-choice.
I used to teach Nat and Int operator CPCs and I currently teach ADR, so I do know you’re right about the difference in the degree of difficulty. :wink:
Some providers will quote an all inclusive fee for ADR, so a candidate wanting the whole lot and paying with their own money can just do a straight comparison.
However, in order to do that it is VERY IMPORTANT to ask whether the exam fees are included, before making the final decision.
IMHO it’s as important as asking whether what they’ve quoted has the VAT included… :unamused:

There is some lattitude in the Manual of Practice (MOP = ADR providers’ book of rules from the DfT) concerning the grouping of the exams.
For that reason, the exams can be combined so that it works out cheaper, but this decision is made by the provider NOT THE CANDIDATE.

Please remember that there’s nowt for nowt when reading this. :wink:

Here’s how it pans out on the single exam per class option:
Core module = 25 questions
Packages module = 15 questions
Class 2 = 15 questions
Class 3 = 15 questions
Classes 4, 5, 6, 8 & 9 = 10 questions apiece. TOTAL = 120 questions Marking fee for these exams = £180

In order to gain an ADR licence by this route, you’d need passes on: Core + Packages + one of the classes AT LEAST.

==========================================================

The cheaper option involves:
Core module = 25 questions
Packages module = 15 questions
Common characteristics = 20 questions
UN classes 2, 3, 6 &8 combined on one exam paper = 36 questions
UN classes 4, 5 &9 = 12 questions. TOTAL = 108 questions marking fee for these exams = £100

In order to gain an ADR licence by this route, you’d need passes on: Core + Packages + Common Characteristics + one of the combined classes exam papers AT LEAST.

The problem with the second option is that it takes a pass on one extra exam before you’re even ‘on the printing press’, AND if you fail one of the combined classes papers, you lose EITHER 3 or 4 of the classes from your ADR certificate. As I hope you can now see, there is an element of ‘rolling the dice’ if you choose a provider who only offers the cheaper option.
:wink: Hence my “nowt for nowt” comment. :wink:

NOTES:
:open_mouth: The above info is current, but is subject to change by SQA
The tanker module is “free-standing” and can be added to either of the above options NOT necessarily as part of the same course.
If you only want the tanker licence, you are allowed to choose to dump the Packages module if you prefer.
The training provider has to send £20 per exam, per candidate to SQA as a ‘exam marking’ fee.
There are NO discounts and NO exceptions to this.

For those who fail a paper:
You can just re-sit a failed paper if you like, as long as it’s within 16 weeks of the ‘fail.’
A re-sit later than 16 weeks after failure means you must attend the relevant lessons again. :frowning:

I hope this helps. :smiley:

stormnation:
A) Is it worth it( got from now till september to revise everything, but need work!)
B) Is it as easy as Sterling make out
C) Sterling say £70 pound for the test, but what is the real amount i need to pay

ADR questions ;-

1. Is it worth going from Preston to Essex for a week to do it?
  2. Is it easy(ish) to pass? (Dont mind knuckling down to revision whilst imm down there but dont want to go all that way to fail!)
  3. Are there any other fees that have to be paid that Sterling “forget” to mention?

Cant think of anymore questions now!

Thanks in advance!

Hi stormnation, Please watch out for a PM. :wink:

If you are learning with Sterling

I would wear trainers or soft soled shoes with tread on them .

There trucks have small pedals which are close to gether it is very easy to catch the brake and throttle pedals at the same time .Specialy with boots on.

Also with trainers you get a better feel for the brake pedal.

There is no legal requirement to wear boots when learning to drive …

Hi Guys just got me course date and guess what 2 months what a kick in the teeth, i said i wanted my money back as it has taken so long etc but they said they wont refund any money even though all theroy have done is supplied a a crappy book and dvd which has been returned, so i wont get xcharged their £25 fee. i feel such a fool…

hey guys with all tyhese fuel price rises, is there any work?

I also fell for the free C+E. I feel the same about the people in the office, once they’ve got your money they dont care. But the instructor I trained with for the C in Nottingham, called Rodg, was really helpful, made me feel at ease and calm. I’m hoping I’ll get him for the C+E aswell, just got to pass the CPC, which I’ve got on Friday first!

Hi pensom just to let you know it can be done, I managed to pass the CPC in Dec then had to wait till Feb to get result. Then it will be 8 weeks till you get your C+E date if mine was anything to go by. Good luck and keep revising

For all those people who passed the CPC, how on earth do you get your head round the Law stuff and then remember it all? Did you all do the "classroom"style learning or what?

Tuesday 20th May
Theory test passed. Rang Sterling half hour after got home to let them know and get started on dates for Rigid

Wednesday 21st May
Received a “freepost” envelope to send theory book back and relevant documentation to get process started.

Thursday 22nd May,
Sent parcel back!

Wednesday 28th May 14.55pm
Rang Sterling to find out if they had received the theory book and relevant paper work. Got told, items had been received, awaiting dates, if not heard anything by friday, ring back.

Monday 2nd June, 13.13pm
Rand up to find out why i hadnt heard anything…The chap who took the call put me through to a woman who too my mobile number and told me the manager would contact me but was on lunch till 2pm

Tuesday 3rd June, 10.38am
Must have been a loooooong lunch break. Rang AGAIN. Chap told me that as i keep calling, basically, im on the list. They must be sick of me now! Woop Woop!!!. At 9.42am, the test was booked for me by the manager for W/C Monda 11th August. When asked why it was two months away, was told that in summer time it is a fairly long wait due to examiners going on holiday and not enough examiners to deal with the amount of people having courses.

Still, course is set and the paperwork has been sent to me at long last. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Provisional Training dates came today…

Monday 11th August - Thursday 14th! Training at Trafford Park
Test on Thursday at Simondswood.

Ive searched the forums for info on Simondswood and im not liking what im seeing … Any new tips :stuck_out_tongue: