Fifth wheel problems

Hello.

Thank you very much for all your comments.
I admit that I didn’t have time to read them, I just sat down to read them.

As for the above, I am an experienced driver and I always do what I have to do, always the same as on this unfortunate day.
I have never had a problem with it, my company regularly assesses each driver every 2-3 months regarding coupling, uncoupling, health and safety, etc.
Everything was always done precisely and as I had been trained.

I don’t know what happened that caused the trailer to detach and fall, but it certainly wasn’t my fault.
After the second attempt at hooking up, I tried to move forward twice without success because the trailer was hitched, the rest of the steps were also successful and trouble-free.
I have proof that I did everything right.

Without touching the paw, how could I attach the clip to the king pin?
everything looked very good and allowed me to do everything correctly.

I am sure that the trucks used by this company have many problems, defects and shortcomings, but I will not write about them and implement them for you because it is unimportant.

The fact is that if there was mechanical damage and the inspection was carried out by the company’s garage (they could hide any defect because it was a company truck), they cannot afford to admit their mistake, because what would they say to other drivers.

Many times, problems with trucks were reported (not roadworthy) after the failure document was issued, with the same defect the next day, other drivers wrote out the document after finishing their shift.

So if the company only accuses that something was neglected, it attaches two sub-items from the Disciplinary Policy without presenting hard evidence, photos or video from cameras. This means that they have no evidence for it, and I intend to fight it and I will not give up, even if I have to go to court privately.

What I meant in the post was whether there are cases of trailers being lost or trailers detached by other drivers, which would help me provide further evidence that the problem was due to a technical reason, wear of materials, failure of parts, etc…

Kind regards

Me

Hi.

Yes all was good as you ask. i have pics with clip in , pics of air hoses on , and couple more.

The thing is I was full of hope to have some helpful info to show them that the trailers can uncouple itself by errors.

I think we need to do the Zoom meeting one day , maybe that could help me more. I have appeal from decision on Monday.

the was not on front of the 5th wheell, I can proove it that there is no marks on the 5th wheell. trailer was fully loaded over 15 Tones.

Imagine if the PIN was hooked to the front of the 5th wheel, which had no traces of scratches, and take into account that the trailer weighed over 15 tons and was fully loaded with goods, I have photos to prove it when the trailer slipped off the 5th wheel and it would be hooked about the front of the fifth wheel, there would be very visible traces of scratches and abrasion on the metal

Besides, logically, if I were to hook the front of the fifth wheel and the trailer underneath is flat, when I was reversing the truck towards the semi-trailer, I would feel some blockage only when the rear of the semi-trailer hit the trailer, so I’m sure it wasn’t hooked at the front.

And I did exactly like you without what you added :))

Iv’e done all correct. using KCALB rules. I did 2 hard tugs after second attempt and all was good toooooo… For sure. I put clip on. etc. I’m sure was mechanical failure.

You were there.
You saw and photographed the 5th wheel and trailer.
What failed?

I suspect that somehow the poin may have become detached during the turning maneuver and I want to find evidence to prove it.

Because their allegations result only from two sub-points taken from the Disciplinary Policy - Gross misconduct. without any evidence, the photos they provided show that there was no damage if the pin was caught on the heel of the wheel, the clip was fastened, the handle was hidden, the susie lines were connected. everything was checked before I set off. I’m not a Neewbie, I’m an experienced driver.

What I wanted in this post was for you to send me some:

website

YouTube video or other sources
information that helps and says that the trailers detach automatically.

But I see that no one understood that and didn’t help me - it’s a pity…

Maybe there isn`t any?
Trailers do not “detach automatically”.
It isn’t a thing.

We understand perfectly that you are asking for proof of a non-existent phenomena.
It is a pity that you have told us that you drive under a trailer at the wrong height, yet are also a perfect driver.

You aren’t kidding anybody here.
Stop kidding yourself.

• Trailer was to high
  • Truck was to low.

Driving under I didn’t hit anything, pin was to high to touc 5th wheel

Thats why I did second shunt.

I for one do understand that, but I can’t help you because if the striking plate was in firm contact with the 5th wheel from the outset, the safety clip was successfully engaged, and the bar but not the pin was clearly visible to an under trailer inspection, I can’t think of a single other cause than what has been alleged. I am sorry to say it but there it is.

For what it is worth, if this is your first ‘offence’, then I think you have been treated harshly. A short term of re-education covering the points mentioned in this thread and a final warning (or whatever they call these things these days) would be more appropriate in my opinion.Looking at it from the point of view of an ex employer I would take the view that you have had your scare and will not repeat whatever went wrong, whereas the bloke who replaces you might well do it first time out.

Many years ago, as a young driver, I had a night out in digs after parking up in Newport (S.Wales) cattle market. Jumped in the cab next morning but had only gone 2 yards when bang, my head hit the roof, literally, flipped up there like a tiddlywink and, after the machine gun sound of the severed suzies hitting the back of the cab, the trailer crashed down on its knees.

A local reccer was needed to lift it high enough to re-connect, the load was late, so all in all expensive for the Boss, but when I got back to the yard he listened to my story, how I had failed to check the clip and the bar that the vandal b astards had detached, and said ‘you won’t do that again, will you lad?’ He was right, in the next 50 odd years I never did.

Agreed.

Granted there is a mavis rail on here as I’ve got a decker on tonight but the gap is the same on all our trailers. Don’t know how else you’re expected to couple up other than split.
I’m a skinny guy and even I can’t fit lol.

I don’t believe we have these separate controls in the UK.

Hello, as far as my previous offenses are concerned, I was generally clean at the moment, that’s all because I have an appeal today against their decision and I intend to fight I am innocent I did everything correctly as I was trained and I will do my best to prove it in the job from which I was fired over a month ago or privately in court, I am not satisfied with her decisions because they have no justification, they are just assumptions and they do not actually bring or accuse anything

So you intend going into this meeting, telling the management that:
there was a mechanical fault with the trailer or 5th wheel that you cannot prove?
that their workshops are lying about a fault?
that the fleet is badly maintained?
that you accept no blame whatsoever and it must be someone else to blame?
that you are totally innocent and will take them to court?

OK. Good luck, mate.
Let us know how it goes.

If the pin was on top of the fifth wheel instead of inside (not in front of) the knife could have closed, the tug tests could have been successful but it would not have been a safe hitch.

The only thing left that we can help you with before your meeting is if you post your proof photos here.

Sorry if I’ve missed this, what make/age of tractor unit? Also what make of fifth wheel if you know?

Precisely what I stated in post 25.
If LSL has limited understanding of the mechanics of couplings and coupling up, merely relying on his training, which didn’t stipulate to check that the turntable had no gap to the skid plate, that would explain his insistence that he followed his training

[quote=“star_down_under, post:58, topic:237916, full:true”].
[/quote]
Precisely what I stated in post 25.
If
[/quote]

He hadn’t addressed your point, so I was just trying to reiterate it without any other confusion in the hope that he might. Sorry, wasn’t meaning to take credit for it.

1 Like

Be my guest :wink:

There is no bad answers….

There is always New lessons.:slight_smile: