Asda day cabs !

Saw a few new Scania day cabs for asda , thought strange not really saw anyone with day cabs in a long time.
We used to run day cabs years ago but eventually they figured it was cheaper to buy “standard” cabs and there was a better re-sale value .

Scania seem to be pushing their day cabs a lot lately. The R Day, which is likely te one you saw, seems a big point for them judging by their promotion of it.

I suppose it’s no harm or ill for local runs…

My Dad has the day cabbed 62plate Scania in Smiths Bletchington colours. Only a very basic spec P420 but he likes it. Trunks sand and stone chippings to Smiths Concrete at Bicester so on the A34, 420bhp is plenty (he did say though for an auto, it goes well up Crickley Hill at Birdlip).

They’ve got highline Scannys at Asda Portbury well on hire I mean but they’ve been there a while now.

Fallmonk:
Saw a few new Scania day cabs for asda , thought strange not really saw anyone with day cabs in a long time.
We used to run day cabs years ago but eventually they figured it was cheaper to buy “standard” cabs and there was a better re-sale value .

I seen one last week and I think it was one of their tanker units. It had the small middle axle.

Morrisons in Sittingbourne runs day cabs

Hiya Shell at stanlow have daycabs… they have some MAN,s at the moment they
look very odd…on the price side of things. years ago a day cab F88 (special order)
was more expensive than the sleeper version in the UK.
John

If its for tanker work could be a weight issue. That’s why ERF were always popular with tanker firms.

kr79:
If its for tanker work could be a weight issue. That’s why ERF were always popular with tanker firms.

The one I seen and probably the one Fallmonk was on about was pulling an Asda curtainsider. It looked like it was from their tanker fleet.

If it was down to me day cabs would be illegal in the UK…!

Day cab units are very common, or seem so round here. A lot of the parcel firms are running them (DFD Mercs & Aspay DAFs spring instantly to mind) as do the tanker firms, supermarkets and a lot of local deliveries. If the trucks never doing nights out, then whats the point in dragging the extra metal of a sleeper around?

So that you can get some bloody rest when it’s break time…! :smiling_imp:

Pimpdaddy:

Your not working hard enough if you have time to rest.

I’d rarther have the extra payload than carrying around unessicery weight just because some drivers have an over inflated ego :wink:

Pimpdaddy:

Aw bless, diddums wants sleepy time during the day.

Pimpdaddy:
If it was down to me day cabs would be illegal in the UK…!

Why would I need a sleeper when a nightshift takes no more than 9 hours? Or when I’m on for Warburtons’, the wagons are only out 7am until 3pm. Pointless.

3300John:
look very odd…

Like this one

Got a answer !
Was speaking to one of there drivers he said they are "pool " vechs to cover DHL(?) fuel deliverys to there stores , so if one goes VOR /servicing / mot etc there is cover !

3300John:
look very odd…on the price side of things. years ago a day cab F88 (special order)
was more expensive than the sleeper version in the UK.
John

seem to remember Volvo done a ‘G88’,day cab version of the F88.

Being an avid fan of TN’s Old time thread I think I’m right to point out that Volvo’s G prefix reffered to the set forward front axle, very common in Aus NZ markets, nowt to do with cab type, HTH.

Dont forget that John Lewis/Waitrose use a hell of alot of daycabs. Its got to play hell with the residual values they get though.

Would you save enough over the life of a fleet truck, 3-5 years and 500,000 km, to offset the loss you will make selling the unit later, or the extra hire charges on a rented unit to account for the depreciation. The actual weight difference won’t be all that big will it? All you are adding is a bit of metal and a bunk after all. Everything else will be the same won’t it?

BTW, I have never driven a daycab and hope I never will.