Another wannabe driver ripped off

I heard today about another person who wanted to become a driver ripped off by one of those so called training schools

This chap had paid £2200 by bank transfer to Simply HGV for his cat C & C+E.

When he had not heard anything he tried to make contact and found out that they had disappeared with his money!

He went to the registered office only to find it was a house!

If you google hgv training now you will find a company called HGV Simply. I wonder if they are connected.

My advice to anybody is always do an assessment drive before you part with all that money. Pay by credit card.

Only train with companies that have their own trucks and instructors as all you are doing is paying a middle man

Not on a witch hunt just stating facts,

Name & Registered Office:
SIMPLYHGV LTD
SIMPLY HGV THEOBAULDS ROAD
BLOOMSBURY
LONDON
E1W 1NR
Company No. 06670822

Date of Incorporation: 12/08/2008

Country of Origin: United Kingdom

Company Type: Private Limited Company
Nature of Business (SIC(03)):
None Supplied

Accounting Reference Date: 31/08
Last Accounts Made Up To: (NO ACCOUNTS FILED)
Next Accounts Due: 12/05/2010
Last Return Made Up To:
Next Return Due: 09/09/2009

from Companies House.

No reference to registration number or LTD on website contrary to Company rules.

Not registered with the information commissioner under that name. :open_mouth: :confused: Not allowed to operate without being registered, and they’ve been at it since August.

I have just been checking the web and SimplyHGV and HGVSimply have got the same telephone number, but different addresses, I feel so very sorry for these people who are loosing out so much money, it is happening so many times now, and sometimes the middle man looses out also, and get the blame. We acted as a middleman once, but we had so much trouble :frowning:

fallingbostel:
I have just been checking the web and SimplyHGV and HGVSimply have got the same telephone number, but different addresses, I feel so very sorry for these people who are loosing out so much money, it is happening so many times now, and sometimes the middle man looses out also, and get the blame. We acted as a middleman once, but we had so much trouble :frowning:

HGV ACADEMY, LGV & HGV Training. 16, Addison Rd, London, E17 9LT. Tel: 020 8509 9709
hgv-academy.co.uk/

Simply Hgv. 16 Addison Road, , London, E17 9LT 02085090196

hgvsimply.co.uk/?gclid=CNPl8 … MAodm32PTg
Tel 02085090196

Seems like there is more than one connection here :unamused: :exclamation:

I sent away for a information pack from “Easy as HGV”
I havent put pen to paper yet as ive been on this site and can see that like all industrys its going ■■■■ up!!
Im a bricklayer ive been out of work for 6 weeks loads of my mates are out of work,those who are still working are working for very poor money and getting tucked up!!(RANT OVER)!!
So i thought that i would give driving ago, as my late father was a driver and i loved going out with him in his Scania111.
The thing that first hit me is when i opened the pack up was :
1)The pay £30.000 per year is it that good?
2)It quite clearly state’s that there is a shortage of driver’s some 80,000 + is that true? not if you read on this site there isnt!!
3)I gave them my mobile number they have phoned me everyday for the past two months wanting me to sign up!!

So my question to you dear people is,is it worth spending £2000 (if i pass first time) to train up and go driving?

Thank you.

So my question to you dear people is,is it worth spending £2000 (if i pass first time) to train up and go driving?

1 depends if you can afford to spend it

2 obviously you have read on here all the drivers beng laid off.

3 newly passed drivers having it worst as companies/agencies will take on more experienced drivers.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

MichaelJ:

You’ll be lucky to see that.

MichaelJ:
2)It quite clearly state’s that there is a shortage of driver’s some 80,000 + is that true ?

No it is not true and very much doubt it ever was either.

MichaelJ:

No, unless you see lots of non agency adverts of companies in you area wanting full time HGV drivers then don’t do it.
Those so called HGV training companies are only after your money, if that isn’t obvious already. They have been claiming for some time that there’s a driver shortage - well there certainly isn’t now, if there ever was.

MichaelJ:

MichaelJ:
2)It quite clearly state’s that there is a shortage of driver’s some 80,000 + is that true? not if you read on this site there isnt!!

THE DRIVER SHORTAGE IS AN ADVERTISING MYTH - Generally more drivers than jobs in the UK
Current Newbie job & economic situation - My own view

MichaelJ:
3)I gave them my mobile number they have phoned me everyday for the past two months wanting me to sign up!!

They are desperate for your money :exclamation: :exclamation:

MichaelJ:

Thank you.

Can you afford to spend that money and perhaps do nothing with it for maybe a couple of years :question: :question:

If some one has a complaint against a company who are taking money knowing full well that they do not intend to provide the service paid for, and, that they may be trading insolvent, then they can and should report them to…

insolvency.gov.uk/cib/complain.htm

These people should not be allowed to get away with such practices and this government department will investigate any complaint.

Not complaning just saying what is in my information pack

Hi ROG thanks for all the tips and that, you have given me over the month’s.
I could afford it,but like everything else if there was a job at the end of it,i would do it.
The money i have managed to save might come in handy over the coming months if i cant get any building work.
So therefore it might be spend 2k on training then not having a driving job aswell as a building job!!
ITS A NIGHTMARE!!!

MichaelJ:
So therefore it might be spend 2k on training then not having a driving job aswell as a building job!!

IMO, that is the most likely outcome :open_mouth: - anyone else on here disagree :question: :question:

If I was in the same position as you then I would only spend the money IF I had a written guarantee of a F/T permanent job if I passed - especially in this current economic climate…

What i would say is if you are not doing anything now and can afford the £1000 then get your cat C licence which would then double your chances of getting a job either building or driving.

When work picks up I would have thought that driving jobs would come quicker than building jobs.

Once you have got your licence you can never loose it unless you are naughty whilst driving or develop a heart condition or simular

Might be worth taking the oppurtunity now else you may never get round to it again

burnie1:
Might be worth taking the oppurtunity now else you may never get round to it again

If driving schools are struggling then it might also be the right time for a good deal to be had on the price of a course

Rog wrote:-

If driving schools are struggling then it might also be the right time for a good deal to be had on the price of a course

I’m sure that many schools don’t have enough of a profit to reduce their fees - there are a certain amount of standing and running costs for the vehicles, and if you go below them then it is more economical to ‘stand’ the vehicle, rather than run at loss.

That’s the problem a lot of small haulage operators fall foul of when they quote lower rates than the next man, and then find out they are bankrupt - just because they are charging something, they think it must be ok. - Not that I am giving a lesson in economics at this time of a morning!

Generally in the driver training industry prices are lower than they should be, which is why companies cannot afford new vehicles. However there is a balance to be had between what a trainee is prepared/able to pay and what he/she should have to pay. It’s the same with the length of course - the longer the course the more likely a person is to pass

Thanks for all your advice but what is a CAT C ? what does that let me drive?

MichaelJ:

B = car + anything up to 3.5 tonnes
C1 = rigid lorry - anything up to 7.5 tonnes
C = any rigid lorry (old HGV class 2 + class 3)
C+E = ARTIC (old class 1 HGV) or W&D (Wagon + Drag - a rigid with a trailer)

If you got your car licence before 1997, then you get C1 for free. If you got the new post-1997 ticket, then don’t bother getting C1, because you’ll only “save” a hundred quid or so over C, and you can go direct to C, which covers 32 tonne tippers, and those 50 tonne+ cranes on stupid numbers of axles.
Besides, you need the C to get C+E. The only people I remember doing C1 are those who want to drive horse boxes…

MichaelJ:

Hi MichaelJ, the answer to your question is: any vehicle shown in the pic below…

A picture saves a thousand words, or so they say. :grimacing:

I hope this helps. :smiley:

Thanks for all your help,its a great help :smiley: