Sterling and Insurance

I hear that in the small print of Sterlings terms and conditions if one of their trainees has a bump the trainee has to pay the excess.

My question is this:
Who is in charge of the vehicle when licence acquistion training is taking place the trainee or the instructor?

If the instructor is in charge how can Sterling charge the trainee for damage to their vehicles?

In my opinion these are the questions the trainees should be asking Sterling along with many others!

my insurance excess is £750 as i didn’t take the insurance, i coulden’t afford to as they only brought it up 2 weeks before the test date. i am also with sterling for my sins!

My question is this:
Who is in charge of the vehicle when licence acquistion training is taking place the trainee or the instructor?

MINEFIELD ALERT :exclamation: :exclamation:

Training companies have specific insurance to allow for L plate training and the insurance companies know the risk and the premiums reflect that.
If the trainee was to say, swerve and hit another vehicle, then the training company insurer will be contacted for a claim form.
The trainee is not liable, insurance wise.

Legal driving incidents are another matter.
Same incident as above - did the instructor do all that they reasonably could to avoid the incident? - if yes, then the instructor is not liable legally and would not face any possible legal charges.
The trainee may though if it was deemed that the trainee swerved suddenly for no good reason.
It’s the same as speeding in a training vehicle - if the instructor issued a warning and then the trainee was pulled for speeding, the trainee is fully liable.
If the instructor did not issue a warning then both may face charges - the trainee for doing it and the instructor for condoning it as the instructor is ‘in charge’

burnie1:
I hear that in the small print of Sterlings terms and conditions if one of their trainees has a bump the trainee has to pay the excess.

If the instructor is in charge how can Sterling charge the trainee for damage to their vehicles?

In my opinion these are the questions the trainees should be asking Sterling along with many others!

IMO, another way to screw the trainee :exclamation: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Lokey

Are you trying to tell me there is an extra charge for insurance.

If so how much are they looking at charging?

once you have passed the practicals and received your licence back you can book the practical training, which consists of 3 full days training and half a day’s practice before your test at either 1.00 or 2.30, this can be over a weekend which you have off. When your test dates come through you are offered the insurance package which can be from £50 or more depending how much cover you want, if you do not take it then you are liable for the first £750 of damages. and if you take the garenteed pass then you still have to pay the £140 test fee and a £35 admin charge, the retest can be a long way off as well, mine is a six week wait! and you only get 1/2 a days training before the retest.

i found the instructors were spot on but the office staff at sterling were less than helpful once they have your money, and if you take the free artic course they will not tell you that it is a managers cpc course and you cannot take the c+e untill you have passed the cpc, test for which are only held 4 times a year. on top of this if you pass either licence after september 2009 then you will also have to take a drivers cpc. and don’t forget to return your books after your theory or you will also be charged for them!

or you could just take some good advice from these guys on here and use a local firm that way you can do the training at your own pace and not have the worrie of being tied in to a company like sterling! good luck whatever you chose x x

So then let me get this right

you pay extra for insurance that you do not need as the instructor should be making sure that no accidents take place. I bet their excess is not £750

You pay extra for a guaranteed pass and if you do fail you still have to pay a £35 admin charge and a test @ £140 when they only cost £105 weekdays and £125 at weekends.

These guys need to be on watchdog or rogue traders

if you decide not to take the gaurenteed pass then you also have to pay for the hire of the vehicle and instructor…they just get better and better!

Don’t even get me started on that bunch of robbing city boy bandits called Sterling!!! All there about is making money nothing else pure and simple. I can only advise people not to use them as there are much better training schools around. If you need a recommendation in your area just put a thread on here. Someone will know of a reputable trainer in your area i guarantee it. :slight_smile:

Training companies have specific insurance to allow for L plate training and the insurance companies know the risk and the premiums reflect that.
If the trainee was to say, swerve and hit another vehicle, then the training company insurer will be contacted for a claim form.
The trainee is not liable, insurance wise.

Exactly! We have insurance that covers the trainee driving as all reputable schools have. It is only Sterling that seem to load this on.

Can’t understand why folks use them! If you are spending £1100+ do your research, visit some schools, talk to the trainers and ask for numbers of previous candidates for recomendations - stop throwing your hard earned cash at the driving schools that treat you like dirt.

Big D:
Can’t understand why folks use them!

IMO, it’s because of a lack of research by those looking, especially the under 30s who have been brought up with the internet.
In the ‘old days’ we had the ‘yellow pages’ for such things and that mainly listed the local providers.

I saw this advert and it reminded me of this thread.

It is not the quality of training, it is the perks if you passl :stuck_out_tongue:

The country has gone mad - good honest schools are closing and rip off merchants are surviviing. Don’t use them and they will close it’s as simple as that.

I wonder if all these little extras they keep adding to the training are declared or the paper work disappears in the shredder.

The vehicle has to be insured for its given purpose, so how can they justify changing the excess all the time to the student when in reality it never changes ?

lokey:
When your test dates come through you are offered the insurance package which can be from £50 or more depending how much cover you want, if you do not take it then you are liable for the first £750 of damages.

Sounds like renting a vehicle - CDW = Collision Damaged Waiver.