LGV DRIVER CPC

dsa.gov.uk/Documents/CPC/gui … aining.pdf

DRIVER CPC for C1 (even if got before 97), C1+E, C, C+E.

I’ve tried to extract the bits that I THINK are relevant to LGV drivers but I may have not got all the relevant info from the directive or I may have put in bits that are not necessary, so please point out anything you think should or should not be included - THANKS

Existing Drivers (LGV)
All professional LGV drivers who hold a full, valid category C, C1, C+E or C1+E licence at 10 September 2009 will need to complete the 35 hours of periodic training by the 10 September 2014, unless exempt (see 2.6). This also includes drivers who hold C1 entitlement by virtue of passing a car test pre 1997.
After this, they will need to undertake a further 35 hours of training in every subsequent five year period in order to retain their Driver CPC.
Who is affected by the requirements for Periodic Training ?
Exemptions
Drivers are not required to hold a Driver CPC if the vehicle they drive is:
- Not authorised to exceed 45 kph
- Being used by or under the instructions of the armed forces, the police or a fire
and rescue authority
- Undergoing road tests for technical development repair or for maintenance purposes
- Being used in a state of emergency or as part of a rescue mission
- Being used for driving lessons for either driving licence or Driver CPC purposes
- Not being used to carry passengers or goods for commercial purposes
- Carrying materials or equipment for the driver’s work, where driving is not the
driver’s principal activity
This list is not necessarily exhaustive and is intended only as a guide. It is recommended that in all cases where it is felt an exemption applies, drivers and operators seek independent legal advice.
ANNEX 2 - The Syllabus According to the Directive
List of Subjects
The knowledge to be taken into account by Member States when establishing the driver’s initial qualification and periodic training must include some of the subjects in this list. Trainee drivers must reach the level of knowledge and practical competence necessary
to drive in all safety vehicles of the relevant licence category.
The minimum level of knowledge may not be less than level 2 of the training-level structure provided for in Annex I to Decision 85/368/EEC11, i.e. the level reached during compulsory education, supplemented by professional training.
2.1.0 Advanced training in rational driving based on safety regulations
All licences
2.1.1 Objective: to know the characteristics of the transmission system in order to make the best possible use of it:
— curves relating to torque, power, and specific consumption of an engine, area of
optimum use of revolution counter, gearbox-ratio cover diagrams.
2.1.2 Objective: to know the technical characteristics and operation of the safety controls in order to control the vehicle, minimise wear and tear and prevent disfunctioning:
— specific features of hydraulic vacuum servobrake circuit, limits to the use of brakes
and retarder, combined use of brakes and retarder, making better use of speed
and gear ratio, making use of vehicle inertia, using ways of slowing down and
braking on downhill stretches, action in the event of failure.
2.1.3 Objective: ability to optimise fuel consumption:
— optimisation of fuel consumption by applying know-how as regards points 2.1 and 2.2
Licences C, C+E, C1, C1+E
2.1.4 Objective: ability to load the vehicle with due regard for safety rules and proper
vehicle use:
— forces affecting vehicles in motion, use of gearbox ratios according to vehicle
load and road profile, calculation of payload of vehicle or assembly, calculation
of total volume, load distribution, consequences of overloading the axle, vehicle
stability and centre of gravity, types of pack aging and pallets; main categories of
goods needing securing, clamping and securing techniques, use of securing straps,
checking of securing devices, use of handling equipment, placing and removal
of tarpaulins.
ANNEX 5 - GUIDANCE ON COURSE LAYOUT
Please note: Whilst the Directive does not stipulate the precise content of each course,
the matrix below suggests a method for completing the form for the guidance of
providers. It is meant to be illustrative and none of the timings / contents are prescriptive
in any way.Evaluation method Resources/Timings Content
15 minutes Welcome and Classroom Cross reference
introduction subject within syllabus
i.e. 1.1.1
30 minutes Explanation of the subject Listen and Whiteboard video
area and relevance to ask questions
the job
60 minutes Practical demonstration Use of equipment/
vehicle
120 minutes Interactive and practical Demonstration of practical Use of equipment/
activity Eg. In-cab driving/ practical competence or vehicle
manual handling completion of questionnaire
completion of questionnaire/
45 minutes Lunch
120 minutes New topic orc Listen and ask questions Use of equipment/
continued interactive activity practical demonstration vehicle
45 minutes Discussion and clarification Questions and
of course content answers on course content
15 minutes Course evaluation — what Complete course evaluation
have the drivers learnt
from the course?
15 minutes Did the drivers benefit from Complete feedback form
the training/what could have
been better/what was good?
Total Time = 7 Hours

Thanks to 26 years an lgv trainer who brought this to my attention in the Newbies forum

Thanks for trimming it for us… whoever said you were a liabilty training needs their heads examined mate.

And oooh dear… they’re gonna ask us our opinions at the end■■? Ooooh dear… You can tell this was designed by someone who’d never met a truck driver… first they teach us to ■■■■ eggs, then they ask us at the end what we thought of it… will they provide enough paper for this■■? :laughing:

Would it be mean if we all decided to mark everything down as 1/10? And said what a waste of time it was? Would that bring this farce to an end■■?

2.1.2:
specific features of hydraulic vacuum servobrake circuit

I see they’re well up to date then ? :unamused:

DAFMAD:

2.1.2:
specific features of hydraulic vacuum servobrake circuit

I see they’re well up to date then ? :unamused:

Yep, can you see all the companies that have 7.5 tonner drivers abiding by this? Somehow I deeply doubt it. The digi cards had the advantage of only coming in slowly… this will hit everyone. It’s insanity.
I drove a 21 year old wagon in the states in 2004, it’s 25 now, and probably still running, that didn’t have hydraulic brakes, I doubt anything in service today has them. Some of the vintage motors do, but now many at a guess.

allikat:
whoever said you were a liabilty training needs their heads examined mate.

It was nothing to do with the training - I will put the whole thing on here once the appeal has been heard.

allikat:
And oooh dear… they’re gonna ask us our opinions at the end■■? Ooooh dear… You can tell this was designed by someone who’d never met a truck driver… first they teach us to ■■■■ eggs, then they ask us at the end what we thought of it… will they provide enough paper for this■■? :laughing:

Would it be mean if we all decided to mark everything down as 1/10? And said what a waste of time it was? Would that bring this farce to an end■■?

That`s going to be the biggest swear box ever :laughing:

If anyone can suggest a worthy cause, the uk lgv driver community could raise a fortune :open_mouth:

driver cpc?
i know what your up to. :wink:
your trying to get my back up arn’t you■■?
when i have to go to that class room , i’ll have a question for him.
“rope and sheet that trailer in the yard” git…
if you can’t your going in the fridge. tos pot pen pushing arse wipe jobs worth can’t get a proper job ■■■■ stabbing ■■■■ sucking shirt lifting uphill gardenining fudge packing git.

I will worry about that in 2014

limeyphil:
driver cpc?
if you can’t your going in the fridge. tos pot pen pushing arse wipe jobs worth can’t get a proper job [zb] stabbing ■■■■ sucking shirt lifting uphill gardenining fudge packing git.

I see Limeyphil is warming to the idea of a bit of refresher training :laughing:

Wheel Nut:

limeyphil:
driver cpc?
if you can’t your going in the fridge. tos pot pen pushing arse wipe jobs worth can’t get a proper job [zb] stabbing ■■■■ sucking shirt lifting uphill gardenining fudge packing git.

I see Limeyphil is warming to the idea of a bit of refresher training :laughing:

OH YERRRRR

talk about sucking eggs all over again. I was taught all that whilst gaining nvq lvl 2 in transport and now they want me to pay all over again for same stuff :open_mouth:

Im only a young driver and seen alot of changes in 3 yrs already you older drivers must be getting ■■■■■■ off even more

Why talk about sucking eggs ?

Freshness

How recently an egg was laid has a bearing on its freshness but is only one of many factors. The temperature at which it is held, the humidity and the handling all play their part. These variables are so important that an egg one week old, held under ideal conditions, can be fresher than an egg left at room temperature for one day. The ideal conditions are temperatures that don’t go above 40°F. (4°C.) and a relative humidity of 70 to 80%

Now you know the best eggs to ■■■■ ■■ :unamused:

The bit that worries me is that it appears that this 35 hour malarky may have some manual labour in it like physically writing,

so not only do we have to learn to ■■■■ eggs again we will probably be expected to learn to read and write.

ST3:
talk about sucking eggs all over again. I was taught all that whilst gaining nvq lvl 2 in transport and now they want me to pay all over again for same stuff :open_mouth:

Im only a young driver and seen alot of changes in 3 yrs already you older drivers must be getting ■■■■■■ off even more

At present, they are trying to get ‘CREDITS’ from the NVQ2 to count towards the driver cpc.

ROG, I’ve just been looking at a leaflet I picked up from Tockwith Training Services, the leaflet quotes “aquired rights” which states…

Acquired rights, sometimes termed ‘grandfather rights’ will apply for existing holders of full LGV and PCV licences at the time the Directive comes into effect in the UK. This means that those drivers who obtain a full PCV licence before 10 September 2008 or a full LGV licence before 10 September 2009 will have ‘acquired rights’ and will not have to undertake the ‘Initial Driver CPC’. These drivers will not be required by law to hold a Driver CPC until 10 September 2013/14, although drivers will be encouraged to do their 35 hours of Periodic Training well before this date.

Will this give some breathing space? I’ve also been looking at this site where the FAQ’s are…

skillsforlogistics.org/en/jaupt/jaupt/faqs/

teatree:
ROG, I’ve just been looking at a leaflet I picked up from Tockwith Training Services, the leaflet quotes “aquired rights” which states…

Acquired rights, sometimes termed ‘grandfather rights’ will apply for existing holders of full LGV and PCV licences at the time the Directive comes into effect in the UK. This means that those drivers who obtain a full PCV licence before 10 September 2008 or a full LGV licence before 10 September 2009 will have ‘acquired rights’ and will not have to undertake the ‘Initial Driver CPC’. These drivers will not be required by law to hold a Driver CPC until 10 September 2013/14, although drivers will be encouraged to do their 35 hours of Periodic Training well before this date.

Will this give some breathing space? I’ve also been looking at this site where the FAQ’s are…

skillsforlogistics.org/en/jaupt/jaupt/faqs/

CORRECT - as stated in the link - have found that bit and added it to original post :smiley: - thats why a lot on here may be retiring in Sept 2014 :exclamation:

ROG:
ANNEX 5 - GUIDANCE ON COURSE LAYOUT

120 minutes Interactive and practical Demonstration of practical Use of equipment/
activity Eg. In-cab driving/ practical competence or vehicle
manual handling completion of questionnaire
completion of questionnaire/
45 minutes Lunch
120 minutes New topic orc Listen and ask questions Use of equipment/
continued interactive activity practical demonstration vehicle

I’ve converted this into English so correct me if I’m wrong.

2 hours of driving and completing a questionnaire followed by lunch followed by 2 hours of asking questions and then being shown how to do it right.

Is this really necessary? 4 hours?

Stan

Will the company you work for at the time foot the bill for the training. I’m sure all the multi national / blue chip companies will pay for their drivers to get the training but smaller companies and agencies will probably expect the driver to foot the bill, or, ensure that some sort of clause is built in if you leave within 12 months.

If there isn’t a driver shortfall at the moment it may become more evident as being on a trunking job or similar, there’s very little POA so i can make the same wage for 48 hr week working in a factory as driving and i don’t have to worry about VOSA checkpoints etc and having to go on this course.

Thank god my retirement date is 08 March 2011…dont tell anyone but it could very well be 31 May 2008…

I do wish Limeyphil would stop messing about and tell us what he think’s about this.