If you are thinking about booking training

So did someone had a training with a lgv driving school around London? Any recommendations ?

Take a look at dft.gov.uk/fyn/lgv.php

Or come to us for a residential course.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

If you are thinking about booking training With these so called Cowboys (No Names Mentioned )

The trouble is with these so called deals .

…Example …You pay the money on jan 1st …

You have got a year from that date to complete the driving side to qualify for the extras the clock is ticking

Apply for provisional …(.Medical and send of forms allow 1 month )

Part 1 Theory Test
If you have not done the theory test that will take time Maybe 1 month …If you FAIL it will take probably 1 month to get rebooked

Part 2
Booking the Class C …They may take 3 months to get you on a course…

6 months have passed now

Part 3
The Driving course if you pass woohooooooo ( If you fail some people have waited up to 8-10 weeks for a re-test )

Thats Now 8 Months Gone !!!.

And they are very clever they can hold up booking you a re-test saying the truck is unavailable untill X … This way the clock is still running …

Part 4
THIS IS WHERE YOU BANG YOUR HEAD AGAINST THE WALL

When you pass…Depending on the DEAL its CPC ?

The cpc Course !!!

I am not sure but this EXAM is only sat i think 3-4 times a year ? and you probably just missed one.

I would not put it past them to just give you a book ONLY when you pass the driving test and say ok go and learn and just book you on the CPC exam …

Tips if you choose to go with these people .

1/ Have your provisional already
2/ Have passed the theory test already
3/ Book the course and the deal if you like but tell them the year begins the day you start the driving course.
4/ Pay on a credit card that has insurance and check with the bank that they will fight to get your money back if they mess you about ( Terms n conditons)
5/ Also they sometimes forget to inform you untill you get your training dates that there is an INSURANCE WAIVER of aprox £12 per day so if you have an accident while you are driving you will not have to pay there excess IF you Say NO i will not pay the waiver and have an accident it will cost you approx £750 and your training will cease untill it is paid !!!
6/ And last but most important READ THE SMALL PRINT

Any contract works 2 ways you can ask to have certain things changed or added but if you do get it in writing before you PAY

I hope this helps … if i haved missed anything i am sure it will be added.

26 years an Lgv Trainer:
The cpc Course !!!

I am not sure but this EXAM is only sat i think 3-4 times a year ? and you probably just missed one.

Hi 26, CPC Nat. exams are four times per year. :smiley:

You really must read the small print before your seven days is up (distance selling regulations).
Some trainers charge administration fees for booking retests, in fact for just about anything.
At least two national providers will charge you their insurance excess (up to £750) if you damage the vehicle.
It MUST be pointed out the Cat C + CPC & Free Artic courses available involve the OPERATOR CPC, not to be confused with the upcoming DRIVER CPC. the operator CPC is available at local colleges.
There is no third party funding for the FREE ARTIC, it’s funded by them, from poor souls who got ripped off!!!

AND IF THEY DON’T LIKE IT THEN QUALITAS AND STERLING CAN SUE ME
Oh and by the way this post is my personal opinion and is not necessarily supported by the providers of this forum

Nice post 26 years an Lgv Trainer.

I am keeping a log of dates for my course at the moment. So for example a week tomorrow is the first date according to my last letter from Sterling that I can ring them up and hassle them for a date for my Cat C Course. They quoted an average of 5 weeks from Theory Pass to the actual Practical so under 3 weeks to go now. :laughing:

There is absolutely no mention in their T&C’s about having to take retests with them so if I fail I shall retest elswhere and then resume my course with Sterling.

If they give me hassle I shall not hesitate to toodle off to the Trading Standards dudes.

I forgot about the insurance thanks for reminding me i jusT edited my post.

Wozzer if you are going to be trained by the afore mention company in Northampton i will give you a name of an instructor who is good.

But if you want the name send me a PM …

Oh and if you have paid you can HASSLE them now for your course dates now.

Indeed, I signed up with the aforementioned company on 29th January and they took the balance of £1,049 from my (Mum’s) credit card ( a precaution I decided to take when Clearstone went under and my CC hasn’t enough left on it) on 26th February, which was actually 2 weeks before the Theory Test.

I shall enquire as to progress on arranging a course date tomorrow. They are damned slow in the Sterling office, particularly when they are sitting on my (Mum’s) money.

Have added this thread to the PROCESS TO BECOME LGV DRIVER section in my signature liks index :smiley: :smiley:

Lose the word “Cowboys” in the first line and replace it with something like “National training providers” and feature it as a ‘typical scenario that might result’, and I’ll make it a Sticky.

:wink:

There is no third party funding for the FREE ARTIC, it’s funded by them, from poor souls who got ripped off!!!

How it works

YOOU pay for your Cat C direct to the training company

Then you pay for your CPC direcst to the training company.

For every person who passes the CPC the training company is given a sum of money by the CPS people for the trainee to do the C+E.

So although they advertise FREE C+E the company still receives monies for the course - and it is dearer and more hassle for the new driver because they have to pass a cpc test that as yet they dont need.

Its much faster, cheaper and easier to pay for your Cat C - pass the test then pay for your C+E.

Krankee:
Lose the word “Cowboys” in the first line and replace it with something like “National training providers” and feature it as a ‘typical scenario that might result’, and I’ll make it a Sticky.

I stand by my post and i stand by the word cowboy company as i do not mention the name of the company…
Sorry

Mothertrucker wrote:-

For every person who passes the CPC the training company is given a sum of money by the CPS people for the trainee to do the C+E.

Who are the CPS people?

Mothertrucker:
… and it is dearer and more hassle for the new driver because they have to pass a cpc test that as yet they dont need.

That’s what’s REALLY annoying about all this Mothertrucker, because that’s the CPC they don’t need at all. :exclamation:

Now if they were offering the driver CPC, they’d be doing the guys a real service, but they can’t possibly mean that one, since it DOESN’T yet exist. :smiling_imp:

IMHO, they’re relying on the newness of the newbies- and exploiting it. :smiling_imp:
:smiling_imp: And it’s not even against the law. :smiling_imp:

For anybody pondering the CPC qualification for any reason, I found this useful site full of stuff:

http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/vocationally-relatedcertificate/cpc_in_national_road_haulage_level_3_certificate/documents.html

Wozzer:
For anybody pondering the CPC qualification for any reason, I found this useful site full of stuff:

http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/vocationally-relatedcertificate/cpc_in_national_road_haulage_level_3_certificate/documents.html

Hi Wozzer, Since a fair number of people take the CPC to become an O/D, there’s a sticky near the top of the O/D’s forum with links to the Nat and Int CPCs. :wink:
Another reason that people might need a CPC is for career progression in a transport office, as some firms ask that supervisors hold a CPC.

Whenever I see a post asking about Nat CPC, I always link the answer to the sticky and advise that the guys follow the link and read as much as possible. :smiley:

It helps to know where the goalposts are, but then there’s the thing about horses and water…:grimacing:

Who are the CPS people?

sorry Mate just a typo - I meant CPC of course

Mothertrucker:

Who are the CPS people?

sorry Mate just a typo - I meant CPC of course

You sure that was a typing error :question: - I’d love to see the CPS get hold of the morons who thought up the driver CPC :exclamation: :laughing: :laughing:

there is no funding

they are just betting that not many people will pass the cpc so they will not have to give away many C+E courses

The limited offer has been going on for about 3 years now!

26 years an Lgv Trainer:

Krankee:

I stand by my post and i stand by the word cowboy company as i do not mention the name of the company…
Sorry

What is wrong with the word “Cowboys” Krankee ?