Hayford & Beazley Group Transport. Harlow, Essex

I started on here in 1980 when the yard was in River Way Harlow. The transport manager was Bruce Larke, and the owners were the Sando Family.

A mixture of new and secondhand tractor units and rigids, and for me one of the best, if not the best, company I have ever worked for.
The driver line up was as follows:

John Dawkins
Dennis Barrago
Tony Cywinski
Barry Fish
Arthur Rawbone
Graham Dodson
Kenny Blackburn
Melvyn and Kevin Billington ‘The Rotunda Brothers’
Denis Sharp
Kevin Edmonds
Derek Garwood
Simon wheeley
Pat Gibson
Terry Dosell
‘Red’ Reg Glynn
Chris Bloomfield
Ronnie Malia

and a few others that have slipped by this old memory :confused:

My first tractor was a Magirus Deutz 310, but that was sold up in Scotland a few months later, and I ended up with a Volvo F86. This was an ex ferrymasters vehicle with the reg WRT 971S and a bunk converion. I drove this for a couple of years but ended up on a ex Ever Ready B series day cab ERF,I slept across the seats and engine cover, on a blow up lilo airbed!

After another few months, and nearly dying of hypothermia on Knutsford services, I ended up with a 290 F88 Volvo. this one being an ex Bulmers Cider vehicle PVJ 757R. I kept this for a couple of years before getting a 112 Scania.

Kevin Edmonds, myself, Tony Cwinski, Dennis Barrago and Derek Garwood drove these F88’s, with Tony, Dennis, myself and Kevin running to France and Germany, mostly for Polylina out of Enfield,work that we subbed from Hercock Continental.
A lot of the work for Polylina was to prisons around Paris, nine times out of ten, the reload was from Delsey luggage at Garanor or we would run across to pick wine up from either Bernkastel, Wizembourg, Trier, Wiesbaden or Koblenz for Dent & Reuss Ltd, who in turn were part of Bulmers, suppling wines and spirits.

Lots of Ford work from Dagenham and Enfield to Cologne and Saarlouis for Location Freight of Watham Abbey, with reloads back from the German wine regions again, or paper mills in Holland. Quite a bit of work for Hanielspedition at Hamburg too, all in all a good time had by all.
More new vehicles came later ,with about ten Scania 113’s, mine was one of only two Twin-steers F948 LVW , the others having tag axles, Kevins vehicle I think was F731 KEV, he joked he had a personal reg plate :slight_smile:

My vehicle ended up after a couple of years or so with TAR from the Isle of wight, they gave it a high roof conversion and very well it looked too.

More to come, anyone else have pics of H & B’s motors?

nice daisy roots :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

edited

hi my late fathers friend worked for H&B his name is Chris bloomfield.he still lives near me and he now works on agency as far as i know.

Hi Is There Any One Out Their Nos Were MIKE SANDO IS? I Subcontracted To H&B When Thay Had A Depot At Loughton Milton Keynes. Working Out Of TESCO MOUNT FARM. After Thay Call It A Day I Went Direct For TESCO For The Next 10yrs. The Last I Herd Of MIKE He Had A Warehouse In Northampton Storing For TESCO. Think He Was In Partnership With Someone? Think He Was In The Office With Mike At H&B At Loughton. IT WOULD NICE TO NO WHERE MIKE IS. CHEERS BRIAN WEBB of WEBBS TRANSPORT