Breaks during POAs

Question 1

Im sure im right in thinking that when double-manning as the tacho goes automatically to POA the 2nd drivers 45min break is taken once the vehicle is moving, Is this correct?

Question 2

I only drive occasionally now (office bound mainly)

Example of 1 of my driving days (well morning really)

Tuesday start 0900, drive 2.30hrs, 30mins loading/unloading, back to yard 1215 ish…

So when i got back i left card in and put tacho onto POA as i was then back in the office,then removed at 1700.

Is this correct?

Cheers truckertang

As for question 2 I would assume that you would need to put mode to ‘other work’ once back in office not POA as you are still working in office■■? You would also need to show a break for 6 hour rule. Maybe wrong though as I often am!

truckertang:
Question 1

Im sure im right in thinking that when double-manning as the tacho goes automatically to POA the 2nd drivers 45min break is taken once the vehicle is moving, Is this correct?

Yes that’s correct, when you’re in the passenger seat on a multi-manning trip the first 45 minutes of POA will be counted as break as long as you’re not doing any work.

truckertang:
Question 2

I only drive occasionally now (office bound mainly)

Example of 1 of my driving days (well morning really)

Tuesday start 0900, drive 2.30hrs, 30mins loading/unloading, back to yard 1215 ish…

So when i got back i left card in and put tacho onto POA as i was then back in the office,then removed at 1700.

Is this correct?

No that’s not correct, office work is other work not POA so the tachograph should be set on other work except when you have a break.

Norfolknewbie:
As for question 2 I would assume that you would need to put mode to ‘other work’ once back in office not POA as you are still working in office■■? You would also need to show a break for 6 hour rule. Maybe wrong though as I often am!

You’re correct today though :wink:

the first 45 min of poa is assumed to be break. As for the second you should have removed the card when you left the vehicle and made a manual entry to conclude the day, showing work and breaks, next time you put the card in. If you were under EU regs then you need to have a record of your working time for the entire fixed week. Not sure if there was something about an opt-out if you only drive a few times a month. Our occasional drivers are all treated like drivers and have to do a full account of their working time in case they drive on more days than you are allowed.

starfighter:
As for the second you should have removed the card when you left the vehicle and made a manual entry to conclude the day, showing work and breaks, next time you put the card in.

As the vehicle wasn’t being used there’s no reason to take the card out, much easier to leave it in than doing a manual entry the next time it’s inserted into a tachograph

starfighter:
Not sure if there was something about an opt-out if you only drive a few times a month.

There’s no opt out or exemption from the drivers tachograph regulations because you only drive occasionally.

Thanks for that :smiley:

I had a feeling the 2nd bit was a no no but there you are :blush: :blush:

Just like school…MUST TRY HARDER :smiley:

tachograph:

starfighter:
As for the second you should have removed the card when you left the vehicle and made a manual entry to conclude the day, showing work and breaks, next time you put the card in.

As the vehicle wasn’t being used there’s no reason to take the card out, much easier to leave it in than doing a manual entry the next time it’s inserted into a tachograph

starfighter:
Not sure if there was something about an opt-out if you only drive a few times a month.

There’s no opt out or exemption from the drivers tachograph regulations because you only drive occasionally.

As you say if it’s not being used you could leave it in there, personally I always take my card out because I never know if the truck will be used or not.

Having looked in the rulebook :blush: what I was thinking of was the exemption from the RTD (working time) for occasional mobile workers. We have a couple of guys who do other jobs but do occasionally have to take a vehicle on the road.

tachograph:

truckertang:
Yes that’s correct, when you’re in the passenger seat on a multi-manning trip the first 45 minutes of POA will be counted as break as long as you’re not doing any work.

“counted as” or “recorded as” ?

Mike-C:

tachograph:

truckertang:

Assumed to be. A break cannot be recorded in a moving vehicle :stuck_out_tongue:

Mike-C:

tachograph:

truckertang:

Well if the tachograph mode is on POA it’s recorded as POA, but if the vehicle is being multi-manned the first 45 minutes of POA will be counted as break by VOSA, or as Wheel Nut says assumed to be break :wink: