Old european companys

does anyone remember these companys there was comart they had fridges hicksons of coventry trucks were silver, lep they had little fords, philip crouch from kent,blue colour i think central from nottingham,laceys(still running i think) martintrux all good companys that i remember

Remember Hicksons or was it Hixons of Red Lane Coventry used to do lots of work for Courtaulds(Hickson ,i heard was related to somebody in Courtaulds transport office,or was that diesel fumes?)They had f88s and 89s and were the first in the area to pay 1£ an hour and the drivers were queing up to work for them.I knew a few of their drivers by sight but only “George” by name who had only one eye,he was stopped coming up by shap on the m6 one night at 70 and when the copper asked him why he was doing 70 he replied cos it wouldn,t go any faster!
One of Hicksons going along the coast rd from Larne to Courtaulds in Carrickfergus one very frosty night came to Glynn wee village narrow road and a wee twisty stone bridge,skidded on the ice hit the bridge ripped the front axle of the volvo,the police were called they pulled up behind ,the copper jumped out slipped on the ice and broke his leg.
regards derek

worked for comart mid 70s good work all fridges lots of germany with mod stuff. company got into difficulties and 2 managers left and set up Moorlock transport (mr moor and mr lock) same work different logos!! good money lots of weeks away. Anyone know what happened to moorlock?

Remember Comart and Moorlock well, back in the 70s, used to go with my dad and he would always meet up with one of Moorlocks somewhere in Germany. Smart outfit with their volvos, dya have any pics ?

I remember Alf on Phillip Crouch. Used to do Swiss. Alf’s son ( Yap-Yap ) worked lived in Dover & worked for Roba doing Swiss. Roba got bought out so many times but Yap-Yap stayed in the saddle. Last I heard Swains I think ( from Sittingbourne ) bought the firm out & he was still with them… Crouchies wagons were green with red chassis…I am not sure but I think LEPs got themselves some nice F12s ( red ) towards the end…?

I think Laceys got into swap-bodies wagon & drags…

heres another fairfreight from atherstone warkwickshire green and white mercs they ran there depot was opposite 3m in atherstone

Roba used to come into the factory at WIDNAU in the swiss to either collect or unload, we used to deliver the main ingredent which was used in the factory.

That would be to load. I think it was Nylswiss. They had the contract for Nylon yarn for UK. I used to sub for Roba Basel.Round trips to UK with groupage. A very well run outfit…Main depot in UK was in Harlow. I also started up the Swiss -Dublin run with an ex-Roba driver. His name was Johnny ( & from Harlow ),we were based in Swiss working for some outfit or other. We had rattletrap trucks. I think mine was a museum piece F88 wagon & drag that the boss kept on the fleet for sentiment. It was well stuffed . He had knocked the guts out of it doing ME years before…

I know this is a very old post but I just came across this picture in my collection (see top post by Hanson) and thought it worth posting. The drivers name was Brian and he went on to work for Inter-City Trucks at Lymme Airport (I think).

a mate of mine runs out of crouch’s old yard - you can gauge how long then it’s been a transport yard, but lo and behold he’s recently had problems with (new!) neighbours complaining about lorry movements :imp: