The Big Train is coming discussion

lets hope the wheels dont come off the track… :laughing:

btw do overseas drivers also have to undertake this course, and if not how can they drive in this counrty without one in 5 years time?? :question:

i used to love that program, proper good comedy.

Good to see some industry types putting their oar in and getting the ball rolling for drivers

£99 for 7 of 35 hours training? did i read that right? If my employer wont pay which i dont think he is i’ll have made a job position available for someone, That means every 5 years its going to cost me hundreds to keep my licence for watching a powerpoint presentation telling me how to drive when i passed my test years ago although i did just drop my trailer on its arse only a few hours ago but we have all done that? I’m confused over this cpc thing anyways. Am i right in what i just put?

Danny27404:
£99 for 7 of 35 hours training? did i read that right? If my employer wont pay which i dont think he is i’ll have made a job position available for someone, That means every 5 years its going to cost me hundreds to keep my licence for watching a powerpoint presentation telling me how to drive when i passed my test years ago although i did just drop my trailer on its arse only a few hours ago but we have all done that? I’m confused over this cpc thing anyways. Am i right in what i just put?

Totally agree with you. Why wasn’t it made that current drivers with years of experience got the certificate through grandfather rights ?
Rikki getting free advertising for his fellow partners through Trucknetuk, pity they hadn’t bothered to fight our corner for Grandfather Rights

we have got acquired rights for the first 5 years so you can still drive till 2014 but by then you would have to do 35 hours training to continue to drive for a living,

just like the new driver who does a test in Sept to gain the initial driver CPC and then as soon as he/she as passed would have to get 35 hours periodic training as well by Sept 2014

so in fact a new driver would end up paying more than a driver who already as his/hers HGV licence

dazaster:
lets hope the wheels dont come off the track… :laughing:

btw do overseas drivers also have to undertake this course, and if not how can they drive in this counrty without one in 5 years time?? :question:

Daz just in case the small print was too small for you

IT IS A EUROPEAN REQUIREMENT EVERYONE IN EUROPE HAS TO DO IT

As far as periodic traing goes. I am in agreement, that its uneeded, But the fact is the law says we have to have it, I personally think it is another job creation scheme that actually has very little to do with actual job you all do.

That said, its here and a reality, and something we all have to face, It is your choice who to use as a training provider, We believe that he Big Train will offer relevant training at a competitive price,

I have no doubt you will find cheaper providers for the training, I have also no doubt that some folks will not bother and panic in 5 years time

The course here is backed by the most respected media titles in the industry.

It really is your bosses choice, Start now and get the guys through, or wait until all of a sudden in 5 years time he has no drivers that can legally drive his trucks

there is an other thing about waiting till the last minute if lots of drivers do wait till 2014 to do the training there may not be enough trainers to meet the demand, or some mite take advantage of use drivers that have waited and charge more

will this be a regular (yearly) thing from fraikin and all the others?

the reason i ask is if we can do that 5 times it will only cost £495 to do the whole CPC as you can just do the same modules over and over again cant you? i thought the original price was going to be about a grand so half price for the CPC, not bad eh?

Coats HGV services claim to have courses starting at less than £50 a course, I suspect that there could be cheaper courses as time goes by so why would anyone want to use Fraikin at £99 a shot :confused:

When registering for the training day delegates will be asked to select 2 of the 5 courses available. On the day the delegate will attend only one course.The Organisers will do their utmost to ensure that the delegate is registered for one of their choices but cannot guarantee this.

Please note it may be necessary for reasons beyond the control of the organisers to alter the venue and content, or the date and timing of the course.

In the event that this course is cancelled by the organisers, a full refund will be made of any booking fees paid. However, if the course is postponed for reasons beyond the direct control of the organisers, this booking will be transferred to the revised date of the course and all the Terms and Conditions shall apply to any such transferred booking.

Course registration fee
£99.00 +VAT = Total £113.85

What about the charges for uploading to the database, are they included ?

Anyone seriously considering this should read the terms and conditions carefully, if you’re thinking of doing this off your own back then unless you’re VAT registered it’s going to cost £113.85 not £99.

The Big Train is coming

Is Ronnie Biggs involved in this venture by any chance :laughing:

I can get 21 hours for a £31.50 supplement on a 7 class ADR course in packages including exams for £299.99,a total of £331.49 so I won’t be getting on the Big Train anytime soon.

As I stated, there are are options out there, This one is held on a Saturday to minimise disruption to work. If its not for you then dont sign up for it :slight_smile:.

Why does anybody have to pay to do there job? if they want to bring new rules and training to do the job fair enough but the costs should be met by the employer or the body who implemented it not the bloody Driver! I would have thought boycotting this whole thing would have made more sense. What will they do take everyone’s licence away! When the shops are empty and the people are angry may be this would not even come about. It hasn’t been needed before so why now? Just another money spinner/tax why stand for it!

What do you expect,this industry just rolls over and takes what’s on offer. You all could have supported a campaign to kick this pointless exercise into touch and did NOWT! Now the various organanisations linked to this site are now making money out of it!
100% for drivers? Don’t make me laugh.! My subscription is down the toilet.

swordtail:
What will they do take everyone’s licence away!

Nothing to do with the licence see - THE PERIODIC (ongoing) DRIVER CPC

swordtail:
why stand for it!

EU LAW- NO UK opt out

ROG:

swordtail:

swordtail:
why stand for it!

EU LAW- NO UK opt out

If you have a C1, C or C+E licence on 10 Sept 2009 then you have ‘acquired rights’ (AKA ‘Grandfather rights’)
The 35 hours will need to be completed by Sept 2014 to retain your right to continue, or seek, employment, in a driving capacity as a self-employed or paid professional LGV driver.

Same thing isn’t it oh and **** the Eu :imp:

ROG:

swordtail:

swordtail:
why stand for it!

EU LAW- NO UK opt out

We all know you’re an evangilist as regards training Rog,but even you must see the futility of this CPC. Its because no-one will turn round and tell the government,“Enough is enough,we will not accept pointless interference from Brussels” What makes you think France ,Germay Italy and our eastern european cousins will take a blind bit of notice?
I will not be doing the CPC,the industry will lose over 30 years of my experience,and I suspect lot more will say NO and find something else to do.Just think what the roads will be like without us older drivers,the majority of lads on the road will be inexperienced and will have no-one to turn to for help and advice, so will carry on making mistakes and possibly some of them will be horrific.

tenspot:
What do you expect,this industry just rolls over and takes what’s on offer. You all could have supported a campaign to kick this pointless exercise into touch and did NOWT! Now the various organanisations linked to this site are now making money out of it!

Did anybody expect any less! I think this thread should be re-named to “The Big Gravy Train is Coming”

swordtail:

tenspot:

Did anybody expect any less! I think this thread should be re-named to “The Big Gravy Train is Coming”

Yep and we all know who will benefit and it won’t be us ■■■■■■ drivers.