A66 speed

what do guys all sit at on the A66 single and dual carriageway?
for arguements sake the weather is dry

I only ask because yesterdsy I wss sitting 45 on single carriageway and just about 52 on duel and had some upset and irate truckers tooting at me

If im totally honest i would be doing 50ish on the single bit and flat out on the dual

finlays-dad:

I only ask because yesterdsy I wss sitting 45 on single carriageway and just about 52 on duel and had some upset and irate truckers tooting at me

Probably because they want to do 50+ on the SC and then find it hard to pass you on the dual

Keep to 50 on the dual so they can pass if they want to be illegal and I would keep to 40 on the SC to keep legal as well

start of dual perhaps keep to 40 for the first half mile so they can get past easier

finlays-dad:

I use the A66 now n then & do the same speeds as you do, not had any problems in doing so :slight_smile:

chaversdad:
If im totally honest i would be doing 50ish on the single bit and flat out on the dual

:blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

chaversdad:

Why? … especially when you are risking your licence

ROG:

chaversdad:

Honestly? Because i would have found hard to tip and reload Glasgow and get back sitting at the proper limit, im not condoning speeding just giving an honest answer

And 40mph would send me to sleep

chaversdad:

ROG:

chaversdad:

Honestly? Because i would have found hard to tip and reload Glasgow and get back sitting at the proper limit, im not condoning speeding just giving an honest answer

So how did you manage to pass your test without falling asleep?

40mph on single, then I’d hold 40 on the dual if there were things behind me waiting to get past and only increase to 50 after they’d passed.

Depends which part of the A66, I know the part to the West of the M6 the dual’s are only 50mph and camera’d up, so I just do 40 all the way then and let people pass me comfortably.

Even when I was salaried I stuck to the limits. I’m no angel, I speed in my car and on my bike, but when in work I see it that I should set a bit of an example and also that I’m the face of the company, so breaking the law isn’t great really is it… :wink:

chaversdad:

So that means keeping to 30 in a 30 limit also does the same by that reckoning - yes?

chaversdad:

ROG:

chaversdad:

Maybe the run’s too long then - either night out or double-manned is required, or send someone out to take over back to base. This sounds like a scheduling problem to me & by the post I’d say you ARE condoning speeding■■? Or am I reading it wrong??

Lucy:

chaversdad:

:blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

What speed do you do Lucy

ThrustMaster:

chaversdad:

ROG:

chaversdad:

So how did you manage to pass your test without falling asleep?

Probably because he didn’t have to drive all the way to Glasgow on his test

ROG:

chaversdad:

So that means keeping to 30 in a 30 limit also does the same by that reckoning - yes?

it’s totally different as i hope you would know. in 30 limits there’s a lot going on, a lot to look out for. i doubt many people get bored in 30 limits. you never know when a fitty is going to walk round a corner, keep your eyes peeled lads :laughing:

i’ll admit to driving on on the limiter when it’s sensible to do so on NSL roads.

I live alongside the A66 and often drive on it in both car and truck… In car or truck, I just go with the flow, because if i pass one or two trucks , i know there are gonna be a million more in front of me, and Penrith to Scotch Corner is only 50 miles , so even by hammering it you’re only going to gain 5 minutes…and risk getting an expensive photo through the post…
In the ideal world this road, being a euro-route , should have been upgraded to dual carriageway years ago…

40 mph is far too low for a road like the A66 but there really isn’t much point getting frustrated or overtaking on the single carriageway parts with most of it now being duelled.

finlays-dad:

Your causing a lot of grief if your not on the limiter on this road especialy at night. :smiling_imp: It’s strictly take no prisoners I’m afraid. :grimacing:

pavaroti:

finlays-dad:

Your causing a lot of grief if your not on the limiter on this road especialy at night. :smiling_imp: It’s strictly take no prisoners I’m afraid. :grimacing:

Dont talk ball hocks!

40 is the limit, 40 is the speed I would be doing

Same in a 50 (D/C)

If some muppet wanted to get past me and overtakes on a bend, fine… if he causes an accident, my conscience is CLEAR!!! I was not breaking the law.

FFS what is it with everyone wanting to break the law all the time?

I’d stick to 40, pulling in fairly frequently to let people past. As others have said, I’d make it easy for people to get past on the dual carriageway bits too.

Here we go again , the great single carriageway speed debate !

40 is the Maximum , not a minimum .

No wonder some of you’se are always moaning about rates of pay , you are your own worst enemies IMO.

If some drivers cant drive at the legal speed limit without falling asleep ,
then I suggest they get out the industry and get a job stacking shelves in ASDA.

You never know , it might be a better rate of pay than the peanuts some are breaking the law for :wink: