The 15 min rule for vehicle checks

One of our drivers got pulled by VOSA today at Welshpool and had the full works,once over the unit and trailer, security of the load,strapping and a look through the last 12 month on the tacho for infringements.
While all this was happening he had a chat to the VOSA chap and he asked about the so called 15 min rule most drivers say you have to show by law and the answer he got from the fella was that there is nothing in black and white stating you have to show 15 mins for vehicle checks and VOSA would only advise drivers not fine them if they didn’t show at least 15 mins. However if a driver was involved in a serious accident and his tacho showed he didnt show any mins on other work and set straight off after putting the tacho in then the ■■■■ would hit the fan.
He also said that they were in the process of informing transport company’s about fitting something along the lines of strapping point eyes(or something) so drivers haven’t got to use the hooks or the underside of the trailer when they can’t get the ratchet strap hooked under the trailer chassis(don’t know how this would work)
He was going to give him a prohibition for the height of the load(packs of 6 metre length plastic pipe stacked 3 high on a flat about 15 foot 6inch high) as he said they are also trying to bring in a law stating a load should not go higher than the headboard on the trailer but as the pipes had groves in where the straps would fit he said that it was ok.
Has anyone else had similar happen or been said to them from VOSA?

Would that be on the cattle market?

He just said Welshpool mate so I don’t know tbh. He also said he could give him a prohibition for where his sat nav was and where the front facing camera is fitted(company fitted them to every truck) but he said he understood that drivers needed said things where they were, but if he put down an advisory for them on the report he would have to give him a proibition :unamused: also said they are blitzing foreign drivers for all the crisp most of them have in the window or on the dash.

Well VOSA told me as long as i show at least 5 minutes of other work for my checks that’s fine. As long as you do em and show it, i really don’t think they are overly bothered.

An experienced driver could do their walk round in around 2 - 3 minutes.

Fire up the cab, dip oil, start engine, suspension up, all lights on, horn, walk round vehicle blah blah…Doesn’t take long does it

according to the VOSA DVD on the drivers hours rules, including the walk round check, they state that if you have the same vehicle and trailer every day, and nobody else uses them, then you can do your daily walk round check in 2 minutes

the 15 minute daily check ‘rule’ is NOT law, if anything, it would be company procedures, it is your choice if you follow company procedures or not, but, be aware, if not, then you leave yourself open to disciplinary action from your company

Dan Punchard:

Went past dinner time they were in the layby on the bypass

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
He was going to give him a prohibition for the height of the load(packs of 6 metre length plastic pipe stacked 3 high on a flat about 15 foot 6inch high) as he said they are also trying to bring in a law stating a load should not go higher than the headboard on the trailer but as the pipes had groves in where the straps would fit he said that it was ok.
Has anyone else had similar happen or been said to them from VOSA?

Should be fun, as from next week I will be moving forklift trucks and reach trucks with quite high masts on a rigid :laughing:

snowman77:

Dan Punchard:

Went past dinner time they were in the layby on the bypass

Cheers

Drift:
Should be fun, as from next week I will be moving forklift trucks and reach trucks with quite high masts on a rigid :laughing:

Try not to take anything you read here too seriously. Any day with a Y in it is a troll post day.

I am green but not that green :laughing:
Because how else could you transport a giraffe? :laughing:

I was told 15 minutes isn’t set in stone. Depends on size of motor and wether you drive it every day.
I usually go on fuel pump in yard walk round while fueling about 7-8 minuts but walk round every time I tip. Do four loads a day and do tend to pick anything up.

Obviously you would lie it down and strap it in using ratchets. Good grief no wonder we need the DCPC.

:laughing: :laughing: could you video your next giraffe move please :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Slackbladder:
Obviously you would lie it down and strap it in using ratchets. Good grief no wonder we need the DCPC.

I had much trouble strapping the last one down, so we cut a hole in the roof & tried to avoid any bridges.

Drift:
:lol: :laughing: could you video your next giraffe move please :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

That’s just sick that is !

My card goes in last thing before I engage gear. The end.

Chas:

Drift:
:lol: :laughing: could you video your next giraffe move please :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

That’s just sick that is !

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Drift:
I am green but not that green :laughing:
Because how else could you transport a giraffe? :laughing:

You make it ride along with a duck. Quack :stuck_out_tongue:

They sink in Liverpool and London :sunglasses:

See what I did there? back onto trucks :laughing: